Where do you grocery shop?

ZachariahDaMan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of all those places.. I've been to whole foods twice and that's it.

Ahh, you have to come over to Ohio-Pennsylvania-Maryland-West Virginia and try out Giant Eagle!

Trader Joe's is moving into Pittsburgh this fall, from what I have heard they are as good as Whole Foods but without the expense!

I shop at the local/regional grocery chain, EW James, which is based in Union City (TN), and found mainly in West TN, but recently expanded into much of Kentucky by buying out many of Winn Dixie's stores in the state. Its a good higher end store that offers a good selection of quality name brand products, along with two sets of house brands. Its offering of meats and produce are also usually top notch.

The only national chain in Minnesota is Wal-Mart and SuperTarget as far as I know. Otherwise regional chains include Cub Foods and Rainbow Foods. Minneapolis also has Lunds and Byerlies which are both upper scale.

I stop at Lueken's Village Foods which is an upper scale locally owned store with a very large deli with lots of organic options and premium foods. They are open from 6am-11pm, so it's not like Wal-Mart is much more convenient.

We shop at Brookshires (or, as I call it, Crapshires). I don't really like the place. Not much variety in foods, and I certainly can't get the European stuff I was raised on. That's the toughest part for me about having moved here. Even the Albertson's here doesn't have as much variety as the Albertson's stores we shopped at in California.

We also do some of our shopping at Sam's Club. Used to do it at Costco, but they don't have those here.

We buy most of our produce at little roadside fruit stands here. It's a little tough getting black eyed peas here since the locals for whatever reason prefer purple hull peas, but other than that, you haven't tasted okra, tomatoes, onions, or corn till you've bought some of that stuff at one of these stands.

We use to do alot of our shopping at Family Fare (owned by Spartan Stores). However a year and a half ago, Meijer built a large new store on the site of an old drive-in movie theater less than a quarter of a mile from my home. So Meijer has been getting most of our bussiness lately.

We do most of our shopping at Richmond-based local powerhouse grocer, Ukrop's Supermarket. They have the best food (particularly the fried chicken and wedges... to die for), clean stores, friendly customer service, and they take your bags to your car.

Occaisionally we go to Kroger, a fairly new store here, who took over Hannafor which took over The Grocery Store which used to be Farm Fresh... I think... I know we had a Super Fresh and Farm Fresh... one or both were Pantry Pride... I think... haha

Winn-Dixie's are closing like stores in a ghetto mall here. We used to stop by there too.

Food Lion the least shopped by us.

I think I bought groceries at Wal-Mart once or twice and I haven't at all from Target.

But I can't live where there isn't a Ukrop's... so I can live in Williamsburg and Fredericksburg... one day Roanoke (if it's not open already).

And A&P is still in business?

We used to have Safeway too.. are they still operational? Loved their pineapple icecream...

Food Lion domonates the market were I live. For a town of 20,000 we have 5 of them with only 3 other reasonble choices. We are cheap and we go to Wal-mart alot. Alot of people complain about the bad shopping expeirence there, but we dont see that much traffic at our new supercenter. It's really no biggie to me, to shop at Wal-mart or hop across the street to Southern Family Food Market. We visit Sams Club about once every month or two also.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived