Arizona off-topic

MJLO

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think that this deserved its own thread.

I'm super excited about this, and plan on taking a trip to NYC sometime in October. I mean, how often can you get a non-stop AZ - JFK flight for under $300 round-trip? Plus, it's a red-eye.

I checked it, and the tickets start at $129, and go up to $149 around weekends (Thu-Sun).

JetBlue to fly nonstop Tucson to N.Y.

We are 80 posts away from passing CA in the West forum. I need to get back to doing my job as mod man! Work has been crazy lately, all the weather on the east coast has made for some unhappy grounded travelers in PHX, or so I am told. Seattle kicks though, I haven't gotten past the airport days inn, but I know i'm going to have to get back here when I have time.

ok here's a debate I'm having with my brother

Pinal County, how do you pronounce it?

my brother says PINE-AL

I think it's more like PIH-NAAL

Anyone?

Yeah, it's pronounced like the Spanish. Arizonans aren't usually very good about pronouncing Spanish names correctly, but they got this one very close.

One thing ive always noticed about Spanish themed objects is that often they make little sence when translated back to english, they just "sound" good in spainsh. Off hand i can think of a few examples such as my parents street in queen creek "Via de Palo" (way of the stick), and the fast food chain Del Taco (of the taco)

You know that's actually pretty funny i was thinking about that as I was eating at "pollo loco" the other day. If that restaurant was name " The Crazy Chicken" I wouldn't set foot in it. Although it would be entertaining.

LOL, but that makes me think of that restaurant in Scottsdale Colin mentioned, instead of calling it the Pink Taco, why don't they just call it " Taco Rosada"? It would definately sound prettier. I would probabally laugh just as hard at that too though.

It would actually be "Taco Rosado". Your Spanish teacher would be so ashamed. That's a good idea, though, I think.

There's a chain in Tucson (I think they're CA-based) called "Pollo Feliz" ("Happy Chicken"). The chicken on the sign does look pretty happy too!

lol - well, i made a trip back to alabammy this week, and damned if the monsoon doesn't start while i'm gone. 100 degrees here every day and 60-90 percent humidity. be back in tucson next week; hope the rain is there. (it sure as hell ain't here.) wish i had more time to post........

Seems like a lot of people have been traveling lately. I just got back from my trip out west. Spent most of it in Utah but I did drive back through AZ. One of these days I'll have to check out central or southern AZ. Although I think I'll pick sometime other than summer when I do. :lol:

aww don't be a wimp! you can handle the heat it's not that bad. EZ-bake AZ I can handle, It's the sun that wont turn off that makes it that much more uncomfortable.

I guess if you can go indoors or something it's not quite so bad. I camped at Zion Natl Park and the nights were pretty uncomfortable for me. That was bad enough for my taste. :D

Oh yeah by the way, if you hadn't noticed looks like AZ has passed up Cal in posts. At least for now, unless they get some more posts over there.

well yeah, but you live in muggy AK, you can't tell me that it's comfortable there at night without AC, because you just about die in Michigan during the summer without AC even at night!

Go us on passing CA! My goal is to be the most posted in state in the west. Who knows maybe the AZ subforum will be busier than the MI forum!

well yeah, but you live in muggy AK, you can't tell me that it's comfortable there at night without AC, because you just about die in Michigan during the summer without AC even at night!

AR. AK is Alaska. I think a lot of people make that mistake, though.

Yeah, in Houston you needed A/C year-round. If the heat + humidity didn't get you, the bugs that came in your window would.

Who knows maybe the AZ subforum will be busier than the MI forum!

Not bloody likely. If you look at that access map they have on here, most activity is on the East Coast and in the Midwest. The West Coast just has no one, including AZ.

Yes, it rained July 4 and we had quite a storm yesterday with downed trees and some crazy wind. Big stormheads over the Rincons right now, which probably means more rain tonight.

It'll rain soon. It has to.

not a bloody drop here!

Don't discount the growth this forum could have man, just look at what it has done in the past two months. When I first got on this site, MI wasn't very busy, now it's the busiest on the site. The reason the west is so slow is because noones devoted much time into growing it. That's changing my friend. You do more than I do, but i've got some things up my sleeve.

I'm not sure if you guys have been following this. I think it's pretty upsetting. I mean, as if the Japanese didn't think Americans were already violent enough.

Body found in Canyon stabbed 29 times

On the note of tourism, Grand Canyon gets a lot of Asian visitors, many from Japan. Not being in a city, I'm sure that they regard it as a safe environment, but this may eat away at that impression.