Arizona off-topic

MJLO

Sure thing. One thing we'd need to know is if you're going to be in the East Valley or West. Makes a huge difference on the things you do. It's a huge metro area and can take over an hour some times to reach certain parts of it. Scottsdale and Tempe still have the liveliest, and easiest to navigate night lives. Phoenix has one, but it generally doesn't exist in a given neighborhood.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure thing. One thing we'd need to know is if you're going to be in the East Valley or West. Makes a huge difference on the things you do. It's a huge metro area and can take over an hour some times to reach certain parts of it. Scottsdale and Tempe still have the liveliest, and easiest to navigate night lives. Phoenix has one, but it generally doesn't exist in a given neighborhood.

If you're on Scottsdale Rd. You're in good shape, you'll like old town Scottsdale which is on Scottsdale Rd, Kind of a downtown Scottsdale actually, all the nightlife is centered on that strip, it's pretty big very well done and very active. If you have a car you're about ten minutes from Mill Ave. in Tempe, which in my opinion is even better. Those are about the two best places in the Phoenix area. Scottsdale Rd has all the exclusive shopping in the area ie gucci, neimans stuff like that if you're into it. There are many other things to see while you're in the city, you're also about ten to twenty minutes from Downtown Phoenix which for any Urbanplaneteer is of course a must see. However Don't expect to much, Phoenix is a city of 1.5 million people, with a metro of a little over 4. About 80percent of it's growth has happened since 1970, so expect a city that's built around the automobile. Traffic moves slow, peak hours are longer, and mass transit is still somewhat of a joke. The skyline is unimpressive given the size of the city and the amount of growth it has seen. Don't be fooled by how far out the buildings stretch. There is downtown, and then scattered down Central Avenue there is midtown. Midtown is a large collection of skyscrapers, almost as many as downtown, but it's very suburban in nature, and not as walkable or enjoyable as downtown. If you have time there are tons of arts, museums theatres and the like.

I have found there are tons of really cool ameneties for the area, but it's still lacking that city feel, even downtown can sometimes feel like you're in a burb. It has the traffic, and pollution of a city it's size but no identity. no kind of culture that really says Phoenix. The only thing Phoenix has in common with it's counterpart cities is wealth. And in Scottsdale you'll be in one of the most exclusive communities in the country, so expect the people to act like it ;) . The area grows on a person over time. I'd be very interested to see an outside opinion of it on a visit.

If you're on Scottsdale Rd. You're in good shape, you'll like old town Scottsdale which is on Scottsdale Rd, Kind of a downtown Scottsdale actually, all the nightlife is centered on that strip, it's pretty big very well done and very active. If you have a car you're about ten minutes from Mill Ave. in Tempe, which in my opinion is even better. Those are about the two best places in the Phoenix area. Scottsdale Rd has all the exclusive shopping in the area ie gucci, neimans stuff like that if you're into it. There are many other things to see while you're in the city, you're also about ten to twenty minutes from Downtown Phoenix which for any Urbanplaneteer is of course a must see. However Don't expect to much, Phoenix is a city of 1.5 million people, with a metro of a little over 4. About 80percent of it's growth has happened since 1970, so expect a city that's built around the automobile. Traffic moves slow, peak hours are longer, and mass transit is still somewhat of a joke. The skyline is unimpressive given the size of the city and the amount of growth it has seen. Don't be fooled by how far out the buildings stretch. There is downtown, and then scattered down Central Avenue there is midtown. Midtown is a large collection of skyscrapers, almost as many as downtown, but it's very suburban in nature, and not as walkable or enjoyable as downtown. If you have time there are tons of arts, museums theatres and the like.

I have found there are tons of really cool ameneties for the area, but it's still lacking that city feel, even downtown can sometimes feel like you're in a burb. It has the traffic, and pollution of a city it's size but no identity. no kind of culture that really says Phoenix. The only thing Phoenix has in common with it's counterpart cities is wealth. And in Scottsdale you'll be in one of the most exclusive communities in the country, so expect the people to act like it ;) . The area grows on a person over time. I'd be very interested to see an outside opinion of it on a visit.

I'm going to be making a trip to Phoenix/Scottsdale for a small business meeting within the next few months. I'll be there a whole week but I only have one meeting to go to, so I need things to do. I've never been, so I don't know much. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you could give me info on some good dance clubs, restaurants, and things to do.

Wow, it gets quiet on here sometimes, I gotta not get busy with work damn! Tennessee is warm right now, i'm suprised. It's been pretty great here. I've been looking up stories on what's goin on at home and right now, I got nothin! help me out here guys.

Wow, it gets quiet on here sometimes, I gotta not get busy with work damn! Tennessee is warm right now, i'm suprised. It's been pretty great here. I've been looking up stories on what's goin on at home and right now, I got nothin! help me out here guys.
Edited by convulso

The proposal just topped it all off. Aren't football commentators all sort of just talking heads getting handed mountains of stats analysis that makes them look smart? Or maybe that's just baseball. I've heard some of the dullest conversations during baseball games.

So, I did get them on a back route from Phoenix to Tucson as I was driving. I had wanted to take 260 - 87 around Phoenix, but we were all so hungover that I even didn't want to do it. We took AZ 87 south from the 202 and back to I-10 in Picacho. I wanted to show one of them how much less stressful the non-interstate route was. The other fell asleep and, when he woke up, goes "I don't think that shortcut saved any time" - totally lost on him.

Another option is that you can take 87 past Fountain Hills and there's a turn-off for Saguaro Lake. This takes you onto Bush Highways which crosses the Salt and is one of the prettiest roads in the state as it follows the Salt River Canyon.

Or, you can exit the 17 in New River, wind through town, end up at Carefree Highway, head east to Scottsdale Road, then south to Dynamite Blvd, then east to the Rio Verde community where you can then stay on pavement (McDowell Mountain Road) and end up in Fountain Hills, or stay on the gravel road and go past the pecan farms on the Fort McDowell reservation. But, from Bush Highway, you wind up in suburban Mesa and can either get on the 60 or keep going to wind up in Queen Creek on another back route (Hunt Highway).

But yeah, you gotta stay off of those interstates.

Group wants creationist Canyon book pulled

"As one park geologist said, this is the equivalent of Yellowstone National Park selling a book titled 'Geysers of Old Faithful: Nostrils of Satan,' " said Jeff Ruch, the group's executive director.

I'm always shocked that we, as a society, continue to placate to creationism. It's just such a ridiculous theory and we get caught up in the freedom of speech thing enough to ignore that.

I care Ben :)

I understand that people each have their own views and i'm all about that. What I don't like is when someone from either side tries to push their beliefs on me. Me personally, I am a psuedo creationist. I believe in life force and new agey energy and all that S$#@. I am not a fan of organized religion, but believe it has it's place in society. I dislike it when people use it as a crutch to bolster their own images.

There are however many definitions of the word liberal according to dictionary.com, here are a few of my favorite, that I think give the word the most meaning:

favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.

favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression:

free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.

open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.

do a dance for me guys! I'm flying home from TN in the afternoon, no matter how many times I do it, ( which is generally about once every six weeks) flying always makes me nervous. I can't wait to be home in PHX although ironically it is more warm in TN right now than in Arizona.

I would like to thank all of you for, praying to God, Bhudda, Allah, Charles Darwin, Barry Sanders, or doing a rain dance to ensure my safe arrival home. :) It was one of the longest flights i've taken in a while. I hate Southwest Airlines! I'll be updating projects around town soon, and posting new things :)