Arizona off-topic

MJLO

ok it's official, i'm officially leaving Mesa. My company is moving me to the Deer Valley area, which in my opinion is much prettier than the rest of the valley. I'll have to find something else to complain about if not Mesa if im living somewhere else.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First cattle rustling charges in decades

I think "dang" is the word that comes to my mind.

This was the front page story in the Daily Star this morning, which just shows you how Tucsonans (and probably most Arizonans) just eat this stuff up. A lot of Arizonans would like to think that they live in a ranching state still but, as we know, that's not really true.

Damn! It's cold here. I shouldn't be complaining. Because it's 55 degrees outside right now. But burrrrr!! I went outside this morning from my condo and there was ice on the sidewalks from the sprinklers being on at night. I've never seen ICE here! Here's hopin we get back into the 70's soon. I'll prolly be missing the winter when it's 120 out again.

Damn! It's cold here. I shouldn't be complaining. Because it's 55 degrees outside right now. But burrrrr!! I went outside this morning from my condo and there was ice on the sidewalks from the sprinklers being on at night. I've never seen ICE here! Here's hopin we get back into the 70's soon. I'll prolly be missing the winter when it's 120 out again.

okay, while i'm at it, colin, where is the sign in your avatar? mormon country somewhere? it looks so damn familiar and i've tried to not ask about it, thinking the memory of it would eventually return to me, but i've decided i just mistakenly think i've seen it before. i know i've heard it in connection with brigham young / utah lore. other than that, i'm coming up with nothing.

No snow in the Catalinas at the moment. Expecting rain tomorrow in the basin, and since it's been so f'in cold, I wouldn't be surprised if we got some this weekend and started seeing the caravan of woolen-clad Tucsonans heading up the highway by Sunday.

Ah yes, the picture. No, not Utah, New Mexico. Specifically on the Santo Domingo Pueblo near Santa Fe. There's a portion where the highway had been re-routed for whatever reason at least 20 years ago. I drove up the old road and stumbled upon that spot. Very creepy and I stayed for about 5 seconds, although I would have liked to explore. That whole area was really weird. Aside from the strange, old shacks on the dirt road, I saw a dead bull just laying in a ditch. I ended up on a road that hadn't been repaved in at least 20 years (white centerline), hit the gate at the new highway and had to turn around. After the whole creepiness experience, I half expected to encounter someone to standing in the road with a shotgun on the way back.

santodomingo4.jpg

santodomingo2.jpg

The road that had been closed off:

gate.jpg

More pics:

http://www.lonelycrowdedwest.net/pics/nm/northvalley/

Wow, I never knew about this place. That's definitely a reason to get back to Glendale one of these days.

I actually have a couple of shows coming up that I want to see, one in early March (Ladyhawk) and one in early April (Ted Leo), that'll require me going to Phoenix for the night.

I think a lot of it is a novelty. Ski Valley is the southernmost ski area in the Northern Hemisphere.

Tucsonans take a lot of pride in it, and it is nice to have a ski area in your back yard. However, if you talk to the skiiers here, they'll admit that it's overpriced and kinda crappy.

Picture from last March:

slope5.jpg

Holy crap, you said it!

Tucson was 82 yesterday. Monday I called in sick and went hiking into the Rincons to this little waterfall. I had the place to myself, kicked back in the shade, waded in the pool a bit. It was SO nice. I haven't had a hike that spiritually refreshing (not to be too existential) in a really long time.

I thought this was good a place as any to post this, Apache Junction, works to save a downtown revitalization project. Apparently the developer almost walked away from this, but the city is changing somethings. One of the requirements, is that in the developement, buildings must be "at least" four stories tall. Which is unusual for AZ, but I don't know that much about Apache Junction, other than if Mesa were Ohio, they make jokes about it like it's Kentucky. What's the story, obviously Apache Junction is starting to grow as the valley sprawls outward, will it lose it's backwoods stigma?

I thought this was good a place as any to post this, Apache Junction, works to save a downtown revitalization project. Apparently the developer almost walked away from this, but the city is changing somethings. One of the requirements, is that in the developement, buildings must be "at least" four stories tall. Which is unusual for AZ, but I don't know that much about Apache Junction, other than if Mesa were Ohio, they make jokes about it like it's Kentucky. What's the story, obviously Apache Junction is starting to grow as the valley sprawls outward, will it lose it's backwoods stigma?