Arizona off-topic

MJLO

I noticed yesterday on ABC news they had a story on cacti in AZ. How there's so much development around Phoenix and Tucson and how so much land is being bulldozed killing off a lot of cacti. There seem to be more people out trying to save them. Digging them up before the bulldozers come in. Some people are just doing it to save the cacti. Although others are doing it to sell them later. More developers are getting involved as well. Saving more of the cacti so they can use them in future landscaping in developments. I was curious what you guys thought about all of this. This also made me think about how most people's yards are like there. Overall from what I've seen in New Mexico only some of the older neighborhoods have the yards more commonly found back east with grass and everything. Just curious what things were like over there.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what I understand, it's illegal to do anything to Saguaro cactus'. I dont know for sure, but know i've heard it somewhere that you can get in serious trouble for touching them. I direct all nature questions to my counterpart Colin, he would know more than I.

AR. AK is Alaska. I think a lot of people make that mistake, though.

Yeah, in Houston you needed A/C year-round. If the heat + humidity didn't get you, the bugs that came in your window would.

Not bloody likely. If you look at that access map they have on here, most activity is on the East Coast and in the Midwest. The West Coast just has no one, including AZ.

Yes, it rained July 4 and we had quite a storm yesterday with downed trees and some crazy wind. Big stormheads over the Rincons right now, which probably means more rain tonight.

It'll rain soon. It has to.

:lol: I missed that apparently. Yeah there are a lot of problems with these postal abbreviations. A lot of people think AR is Arizona.

from what I understand, it's illegal to do anything to Saguaro cactus'. I dont know for sure, but know i've heard it somewhere that you can get in serious trouble for touching them. I direct all nature questions to my counterpart Colin, he would know more than I.

Yeah I think those are protected. But I think this story was talking more about just more of your more typical cacti found there.

I direct all nature questions to my counterpart Colin, he would know more than I.

:)

Yes, Mr. Granola himself.

In Arizona, we have a native plant law. It is indeed very illegal to cut down or even damage a native plant, including a saguaro. I won't list all of the native plants protected by the law, but it's basically every native Sonoran plant that you can think of: agaves, ocotillos, palo verdes, mesquites, atols, chollas, etc. You have to have a special permit to harvest them.

In the Tucson area, you may as well shoot your own mother than cut down a saguaro. There were a couple of kids about 6 months ago who cut two down along the Rillito River bike trail and people basically wanted to castrate them. Leave your shovels at home, kids!

I wouldn't think that most developers would just bulldoze and run over cacti. They're worth so much money (a full-grown saguaro can be $500+) that I don't think any developer would just destroy one. Usually they're just relocated for landscaping purposes, which is where the ones you see on the sides of streets come from.

Oh, and here's the native plant law if you're interested:

http://www.azda.gov/ESD/nativeplants.htm

Edited by colin

Thanks for the info colin. I was just going off of what ABC was reporting. But I do think there were talking more about the other cacti like the chollas and such and not the saguaro. But still with any sizeable cacti you'd think it would still be worth it to dig it up to be replanted.

I have decided I want the admins of the site to start a forum called, "colin". They can put it next to the urban discussion thread, and the subtitle to it can be, the most diverse person on the forum.

This is a shout out to Colin, who knows everything and posts everywhere. Sir you are the Macguyver of the site! Who else can make a bomp out of toilet paper rolls and strawberry juice! I mention a random city in South Dakota. Who not only knows all about it, but has documented the entire city in pictures? Colin!

You rock dude :alc:

I have decided I want the admins of the site to start a forum called, "colin". They can put it next to the urban discussion thread, and the subtitle to it can be, the most diverse person on the forum.

This is a shout out to Colin, who knows everything and posts everywhere. Sir you are the Macguyver of the site! Who else can make a bomp out of toilet paper rolls and strawberry juice! I mention a random city in South Dakota. Who not only knows all about it, but has documented the entire city in pictures? Colin!

You rock dude :alc:

Yeah I'll second that. He really seems to get around out there. I've been wondering if he's checked out every corner of the west yet. :lol:

Wow, thanks!

Such nice people.

Yeah, my own forum would be great. I could ask and answer my own questions!

"Colin, what do you think about Jeff Flake's now unopposed congressional re-election campaign this year?"

"Well, Colin, I think that this will only make the democrats, and even the more moderate individuals, more apathetic to the Old World conservatism existing in the state since Flake himself promised to not run again after his 2002 re-election."

I certainly haven't been everywhere in the West. I haven't been to Oregon at all, and there are large portions of Idaho, California (north of SF), Nevada, Montana and Wyoming that I haven't been to.

On my big trip, I had wanted to see a lot more of Wyoming, but I just didn't have time with all of the other stuff that I wanted to do.

And, remember, my Midwest traveling consists of a day in Southern Kansas and a couple of days in Cincinnati when I was young. Although I've had a Dakota - Minnesota - Wisconsin roadtrip up for a while, but I just don't have enough time to do it.

BTW, I'm thinking Labor Day now. Thus far, all signs point to Chicago. Mainly because it's actually the cheapest. Any other suggestions?

Wow, thanks!

Such nice people.

Yeah, my own forum would be great. I could ask and answer my own questions!

"Colin, what do you think about Jeff Flake's now unopposed congressional re-election campaign this year?"

"Well, Colin, I think that this will only make the democrats, and even the more moderate individuals, more apathetic to the Old World conservatism existing in the state since Flake himself promised to not run again after his 2002 re-election."

I certainly haven't been everywhere in the West. I haven't been to Oregon at all, and there are large portions of Idaho, California (north of SF), Nevada, Montana and Wyoming that I haven't been to.

On my big trip, I had wanted to see a lot more of Wyoming, but I just didn't have time with all of the other stuff that I wanted to do.

And, remember, my Midwest traveling consists of a day in Southern Kansas and a couple of days in Cincinnati when I was young. Although I've had a Dakota - Minnesota - Wisconsin roadtrip up for a while, but I just don't have enough time to do it.

BTW, I'm thinking Labor Day now. Thus far, all signs point to Chicago. Mainly because it's actually the cheapest. Any other suggestions?

Still as big as the west is you've certainly seen quite a bit of it. I haven't been to Chicago so I can't really say whether that's the right choice for you. I'm sure it wouldn't be a bad choice. One of the guys I know over on the Louisiana forum is going to Chicago soon. But you might be gone before he gets back and could recommend anything.

Yeah, I actually thought about Portland, but then Southwest put their Tucson non-stop on sale for $99 one-way and I found a hotel in Glenview for $46/night on Hotwire.

I'd like to see some more nature stuff. My friend was trying to get me to back to CA, but that's kinda dull. I've always wanted to see the Midwest and Chicago seems like the most logical place to start.

Any suggestions on things to do?

I'll have a car at least two of the days I'm there. I've thought about just driving into the country. There'll be at least one day that I just go Downtown and walk around neighborhoods.

Is Detroit really only 2.5 hours from Chicago? It seems so much further.

Sorry, but there's no way that's happening. I do enjoy driving around, but I would rather save Michigan for another trip. The closest I'll get is the lake shore. :P

Any other suggestions? I've heard that Gary, IN is nice.

Actually, Milwaukee is only an hour train ride from Glenview, and the fare is only $20. I thought about that for a quick morning trip.

you'd like Milwaukee, I strongly suggest if you do WI thing, check out Madison. Madison is one of the coolest mid size cities in the country.

Detroit is about 4 hrs from Chicago, Grand Rapids, is 2.5 hours up the lake MIchigan coast and about 20 east. Michigans west coast is pretty awsome that time of year, but there is alot to take in.

Seriously, Matt, you damn slacker. You need to get your priorities straight.

BTW, if you're frustrated by those loser D'Backs (who are now last in the NL West), feel free to cheer on their favorite farm team, the Tucson Sidewinders, who are #1 in their division and 13 games ahead of #2 Las Vegas. Sidewinders games are actually really fun because, for $6, you can get right on the baselines, the stadium is nice, and the beer is good and not overly expensive.

Seriously, Matt, you damn slacker. You need to get your priorities straight.

BTW, if you're frustrated by those loser D'Backs (who are now last in the NL West), feel free to cheer on their favorite farm team, the Tucson Sidewinders, who are #1 in their division and 13 games ahead of #2 Las Vegas. Sidewinders games are actually really fun because, for $6, you can get right on the baselines, the stadium is nice, and the beer is good and not overly expensive.

What league are they in?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think so mith,

when in the valley, and I'd assume Tucson is like this too, all you see are endless views of tan track homes, a drug store fast food place, then tan track homes a drug store, fast food place, lather rinse repeat. On that note i've decided I want to move to Tucson. They get more rain than PHX and are also cooler on avg!

I don't know for sure, but I don't think so mith,

when in the valley, and I'd assume Tucson is like this too, all you see are endless views of tan track homes, a drug store fast food place, then tan track homes a drug store, fast food place, lather rinse repeat. On that note i've decided I want to move to Tucson. They get more rain than PHX and are also cooler on avg!

Come on, if you're looking for cooler temps and more precipitation then Flagstaff is you answer in AZ. :lol:

Famous buildings:

Biltmore Resort in Phoenix

Taliesin West in Scottsdale

San Xavier del Bac Mission in Tucson

A lot of other Frank Lloyd Wright stuff in Phoenix is famous as he did a lot of work up there.

We have our sky islands in the southern part of the state. Tucson has Mount Lemmon, which has seen highs of 75 for the past few days. It takes a little over an hour to get there from Downtown. In Phoenix, probably Payson is the quickest way to get away from the heat. Show Low or Heber if you want to drive a little further.

Famous buildings:

Biltmore Resort in Phoenix

Taliesin West in Scottsdale

San Xavier del Bac Mission in Tucson

A lot of other Frank Lloyd Wright stuff in Phoenix is famous as he did a lot of work up there.

We have our sky islands in the southern part of the state. Tucson has Mount Lemmon, which has seen highs of 75 for the past few days. It takes a little over an hour to get there from Downtown. In Phoenix, probably Payson is the quickest way to get away from the heat. Show Low or Heber if you want to drive a little further.

Oh yeah I forgot Frank Loyd Wright did some stuff out there. Thanks for the info. I figured San Xavier del Bac was one that was going to be mentioned. :D

Good picks Colin (architecture)

I think the Sandra Day O Conner Courthouse is somewhat famous (maybe in a negative way for being so impossible to cool when it opened)

And the Downtown Phoenix library is pretty renowned... (Will Bruder)

We have a few local (dead and alive) Modern architects that are pretty well- known (Aside from FLW)- Al Beadle, Ralph Haver and Will Bruder... And Optima seems to be getting some good press (Biltmore Towers and Camelview by David Hovey)