Arizona off-topic

MJLO

Well, if you insist!!

I like that, in Phoenix, they have actual Downtown areas in their suburbs (even though there are much fewer suburbs than Chicagoland). I loved how these Downtown areas in Chicago were integrated with the mass transit: the community was always centered around a rail station, and when a community center did not already exist around the station, one was built because people wanted to live near that rail station.

So, Phoenix needs rail!! But would people ride it?

It sucks, but I think the most effective way to get people out of their cars and onto the train is to:

1. Increase traffic to the point where it takes just slightly more time to use mass transit.

2. Increase parking rates in the Downtown area until it's more cost-effective to use mass transit.

3. Have companies or the city government subsidize mass transit (they do this in many cities already).

I take it as a positive sign for America in general that my friend in Houston, who had sworn buses years ago, now rides the commuter bus in from Sugar Land to Downtown. I was shocked when she told me about this.

But rail can do glorious things that buses can't do. Light rail is a fine start, but it's a fact that light rail is not effective for a commuter system that reaches suburbs. You need something quicker and more efficient: heavy rail. Phoenix has, although not an extensive rail system, a fairly strategic one. You have the line paralleling Grand Avenue to Glendale and Peoria, you have the now-abandoned line to Tempe and Mesa (although I believe the ROW is still in the rail company's possession), you have the line running to Chandler, Gilbert and Queen Creek (and onto Florence, I believe), and you have one running to Casa Grande and Maricopa, which are both set to be the next suburban frontiers.

The only problem is that there's no north line, which seems to be seeing a good amount of development recently, mostly because of Anthem (but, of course, that's where the light rail is headed). ALTHOUGH, a popular rail system would only result in more development around the corridors.

What d'ya think?? Could Phoenix ever support a rail system? (this is no longer off-topic)

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have to get alot of these anti-Development NIMBY's that keep Phoenix as mediocre as possible on board. The way the LRT is set up now it should work pretty good. I already know alot of people who ride it. I think it's going to kill the buses. Mesa, Tempe are the first cities on board with Phoenix what other cities are gonna be in that mix?

You'll have to get alot of these anti-Development NIMBY's that keep Phoenix as mediocre as possible on board. The way the LRT is set up now it should work pretty good. I already know alot of people who ride it. I think it's going to kill the buses. Mesa, Tempe are the first cities on board with Phoenix what other cities are gonna be in that mix?

Honestly, I think NIMBYISM cuts both ways. More development is not necessarily better, and neighborhoods do act as a feedback process for developers to improve their developments. I would claim Phoenix's ( and Tucson's to a lesser extent ) mediocrity has as much to do with having nothing but office towers and strip malls. More and more of that kind of development will not lead to a better city, merely a bigger city. Having said that, NIMBYISM can they definately can impede good developments, because developers just avoid NIMBY fights buy building in "Nobody's" back yard.

As to light rail, I bet it will be successful also, but it won't kill buses, buses have the flexibility to go anywhere. It could potentially reduce the need for Inter-city bus routes.

Honestly, I think NIMBYISM cuts both ways. More development is not necessarily better, and neighborhoods do act as a feedback process for developers to improve their developments. I would claim Phoenix's ( and Tucson's to a lesser extent ) mediocrity has as much to do with having nothing but office towers and strip malls. More and more of that kind of development will not lead to a better city, merely a bigger city. Having said that, NIMBYISM can they definately can impede good developments, because developers just avoid NIMBY fights buy building in "Nobody's" back yard.

That is true, wanting responsible developement is not a bad thing. But the rigidity in this state borders on BANANA's (Build absolutely nothing anywhere, near anything). Unless it's 20ft high.

Right! Good point, Erin!

I'll have to relate a Tucson story again, specifically with what happened with Presidio Terrace: the developer came in, the neighborhood screamed, but after the neighborhood worked with the developer over time, the project turned to something great that couldn't have happened without that cooperation. And now, the same thing will hopefully happen with another, much larger project Downtown.

So, don't let the delays get you down. Cooperation fosters better projects and, in the end, works out better for everyone.

On the other hand, you're always going to have a minority who hate something regardless of how much you work with them, but that's just the nature of things and why you need to get involved, at least to some extent, in the politics of it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Republicans have apparently ceded this race to the Democrats as the national party has pulled their ad campaign funds last week.

District 8 is one of the few left in the country that is diverse enough to actually be competitive. It's been theorized that the hard-line Republicans who refuse to vote for Democrats will instead vote for the Libertarian candidate (actually a very intelligent and experienced politico) instead of vote for Graf, thus reducing his numbers all the more.

Ok you guys, i've kind of let my duties as moderator slip lately and I apologize. I guess I've just been a little bit disheartened. But in my defense there doesn't really seem to be much news going on. It's so weird for a state that's growing as fast as Arizona there should be gobs of development news. Don't get me wrong, there's tons of developements but they come in the form of sprawling lifestyle centers and strip malls with acres and acres of parking. I think i'm going to get some updates on current projects this week.

Does anyone have any news on new proposals and such?

Ok you guys, i've kind of let my duties as moderator slip lately and I apologize. I guess I've just been a little bit disheartened. But in my defense there doesn't really seem to be much news going on. It's so weird for a state that's growing as fast as Arizona there should be gobs of development news. Don't get me wrong, there's tons of developements but they come in the form of sprawling lifestyle centers and strip malls with acres and acres of parking. I think i'm going to get some updates on current projects this week.

Does anyone have any news on new proposals and such?

There has been a ton of activity as of late- just not much activity on this forum.

Namely our baby:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/092...yscape0929.html

• 4 weeks later...

I follow politics, it's what I do. Janet will keep her seat, by a wide margin. It also seems like Jon Kyle will keep his, but for as popular as he is, I am suprised that Jim Pederson is even within ten points of him in polls. What are you're guys take on it? These races in this state seem very mean.

I think Pederson has done a good job of working the whole Washington insider spin but should exploit the Bush connection more. People are resentful enough of Bush and the current state of the government right now to be influenced by that. Personally, I don't really like either of them. I mean, Pederson is a real estate developer. This whole "I'll be your senator independent of special interests" is a bunch of horse sh*t if you ask me. But Kyl is already tainted by this sort of corruption so is probably worse.

There are some interesting state legislature elections, and I've been closely watching the State Superintenant race, but the Props are much more contentious and important I think. I've been surprised at the level contention with 204 (cages big enough for animals to turn around). It seems pretty trivial, but both sides have been fighting hard and getting a lot of out of state money in to do so. 202 (the minimum wage increase) should pass.

I've been personally working on pro-106 and anti-107 stuff recently. I think 106 will pass, but 107 is misleading so it's still close and I'm still volunteering to try and let people know the real consequences of it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I heard on the news today, A lady left her dropped her car off at the Neiman Marcus valet, and let them know her son was in the back. When the parking valets looked in the back seat they saw her two year old son sleeping in his car seat. So they called the police. When she came out a half hour later, Scottsdale police arrested her for child endangerment. Her arguement was that her child was fine because the valet's were with him. What made me crack up was that she brought her little dog with her into the store.

Now I grew up in an exclusive community, but never heard of anything like that happening. Are there really people that out of touch in Scottsdale that they behave like this? That is not only rediculous, it sounds like something right out of an SNL skit. That this broad was actually that dumb that she considered the Neiman Marcus valet's also a day care service. It sounds to me like she is pampered and needs a little brush with a reality.

but atleast her dog was safely with her, im sure she won't get in trouble for dog endangerment anytime soon.

Anyone feel like divulging holiday plans?

I'm driving to Houston (yes, driving) via Austin to pick up my sister. On the way back, I'm going to spend the night in Alpine and the next day at Big Bend NP.

Not sure about New Year's yet. I'd like to leave town (thinking about Flagstaff for the pine cone ball drop), but may just stay here for one of the ultra-cool Tucson New Year's public events.

What's the town?

I lived in Johnson City as a kid and I'm sure that it still doesn't have Starbucks. It's a beautiful town though.

But Tennessee sucks in the winter because it's usually not cold enough to get snow but just cold enough to get stuff like ice storms and sleet. Yuck yuck. I'll take the Arizona heat over that.

I'll be in Lebanon, about 25 min outside of Nashville. Very few nice things I can say about it. The only thing outside of our hotel to do is go to Walmart or the bank accross the street. There are also a buttload of southern themed restaurant right off the freeway there.

I'm going to be making a trip to Phoenix/Scottsdale for a small business meeting within the next few months. I'll be there a whole week but I only have one meeting to go to, so I need things to do. I've never been, so I don't know much. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you could give me info on some good dance clubs, restaurants, and things to do.