Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frankie811

PROPOSED: Weybosset Mills

11 posts in this topic

this is one of those areas that anything that is offered to be built there is good no matter what just because of where it is and whats next to it

I ride my bike through here all the time.. Its a mini dead city.. You can kind of imagine what it was like back in the day.. Wes's is located a couple streets over.. It has potential, but theres a lot that needs to be done..

I wonder, if anyone knows the exact reason why this area died.. My assumption is that Rt 6 circling it killed it.. Its a little surreal driving on rt 6 and looking right and seeing what no doubt used to be a bustling city but now looks like actual Art In Ruins on large scale (shameless plug for www.artinruins.com, the site indirectly responsible for bringing The Ank to UP, blame them)..

I kind of think that and maybe this is being pessimistic but maybe a larger scale effort is needed to revite this area.. Bigger money, evil SBER type money.. But here's hoping anyway..

Wouldn't it have been easier to simply bring the building back up to code and get a handful of rental units back on market for some cash to move the idea forward rather than stay the course on the loft-condo plan? It sounds like the artists who lived there were paying tenants; there must be some type of apartment-style units sectioned off in some way. I wonder what it looks like inside.

This was a really troublesome project, I remember. For starters, the developer was new to the scene and he kept talking about how it was an unsafe neighborhood and it would be "gated" which didn't sit well with a lot of people, including some of us on CPC. But the guy really wanted to do the project and he was willing to make changes and listen to what people said, and then it seemed he couldn't afford it, and tried to bring in some backers and then they backed out and it was quite sad, because he really wanted to do the project and when I wished him good luck at the last meeting (I think he was asking for an extension), he got all teary. I felt really bad for him and i wanted to give him a hug and you have to know that I'm not the "hug the developer" kind of person. I hope he does ok. The project wasn't perfect but I think this was a guy who was up for listening and learning, unlike so many of the developers who come before PVD's boards and commissions.

Good Luck Mr Risica.

Awwww, Jen. I'd bake you something sweet and yummy for saying that if you were around.

This was a really troublesome project, I remember. For starters, the developer was new to the scene and he kept talking about how it was an unsafe neighborhood and it would be "gated" which didn't sit well with a lot of people, including some of us on CPC. But the guy really wanted to do the project and he was willing to make changes and listen to what people said, and then it seemed he couldn't afford it, and tried to bring in some backers and then they backed out and it was quite sad, because he really wanted to do the project and when I wished him good luck at the last meeting (I think he was asking for an extension), he got all teary. I felt really bad for him and i wanted to give him a hug and you have to know that I'm not the "hug the developer" kind of person. I hope he does ok.

Good Luck Mr Risica.

Who hacked Jen's account?

Found this PBN article when searching to update the grand openings thread:

PBN 2/16/09: "West Side mill sold to former owner for $925K"

http://pbn.com/detail/40308.html

from the story:

"On Jan. 21, Rhode Island Superior Court Associate Justice Michael A. Silverstein granted the permitted project to Fall River chiropractor Walter L. Bronhard, who bid $925,000."

"Bronhard owned the Oak Street building from Dec. 2001 until March 2006, when he sold it to Cranston-based Realtor John Risica, according to city records. Risica had planned a 64-unit condominium development in the 65,000-square-foot former worsted mill.

Risica had paid $595,000 for the property, which includes the adjacent 33 Magnolia St. parcel, to Bronhard, Risica said in September, when the project went bankrupt and entered receivership."