Possible Walmart Distribution Center?

GRDadof3

As I already said, there IS a Walmart Distribution place already in southern MI.... in Coldwater. Not too far from South Bend, and pretty close to all major cities in the area (chicago, GR, Detroit, Toledo, Lansing, Kzoo, Ft Wayne, South Bend, etc). So, they are in the ideal location from how it looks. GR would not be ideal.

Just to fill you in, Mt Pleasant or Metro Grand Rapids are being considered for a new massive distribution center. I have no idea what the strategy is, but it's not going to be on the Steelcase site. In fact, the project is code-named "Project 700" because it is rumored to create at least 700 jobs when completed. They are working with the State to get tax credits. A typical Walmart distribution facility ranges from 1.5 to 3 Million square feet, and involves investments as large as $100 Million, based on some googling.

But you'll have to wait until the Business Journal comes out to get more details. That's all I know. :thumbsup:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to fill you in, Mt Pleasant and Metro Grand Rapids are being considered for a new massive distribution center. I have no idea what the strategy is, but it's not going to be on the Steelcase site. In fact, the project is code-named "Project 700" because it is rumored to create at least 700 jobs when completed. They are working with the State to get tax credits.

But you'll have to wait until the Business Journal comes out to get more details. That's all I know. :thumbsup:

Walmart???? or someone else??

Walmart, when they want something bad enough usually pays for infrastructure improvements themselves. I give you... Spencer Twp. just outside of Greenville.

Ha, very funny MJLO. Although this linky is a bit partisan, it has details of what Walmart traditionally asks for in tax breaks:

http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/corporate_subsidy/walmart.cfm

With the State so sensitized to job creation right now, they'll bend over for Walmart big time.

They're deciding between Dorr Twp and Mt Pleasant, and a decision is expected in June. Dorr Township would mean it's probably going in one of the new industrial parks along 131 South of 84th or near 100th.

GRDad,

That is still Kent Count in Bryon Township. Allegan county, Dorr Township doesn't start until 108th St. Maybe they will put it in a totally new area so they can build what they need or want?

:stop: by the way :offtopic:

Should we start a new thread on the Walmart Center and leave this one to the Steelcase plant :dontknow:

EDIT: oops, I didn't see that the name of the thread was changed already. :blush:

I'm sure they'll build new. That's a lot of square footage, and they're saying it will be at least 1 Million square feet, which is almost the size of Rivertown Crossings.

Here's a big chunk near 142nd:

http://public.carwm.com/public/carpagerpt....LS=346598&C=&B=

I wonder what the typical pay scale is for one of these places?

Regardless if they build in Grand Rapids or Mount Pleasant, how many new stores / supercenters are they going to build as a result in this area in order to make the distribution center worth its initial / operational cost? Is this distribution center going to replace the one in Coldwater, or simply be an addition to the Empire? Also, what kind of fall-out should we expect for Meijers?

Regardless if they build in Grand Rapids or Mount Pleasant, how many new stores / supercenters are they going to build as a result in this area in order to make the distribution center worth its initial / operational cost? Is this distribution center going to replace the one in Coldwater, or simply be an addition to the Empire? Also, what kind of fall-out should we expect for Meijers?

One of the articles mentioned it would be the third in Michigan.

Here's an interesting tidbit I found online regarding a "typical" distribution center in New York (non Walmart):

Large warehouse/distribution centers typically employ 300 people, including 34 clerical workers, 240 materials handlers, and 26 managers. Facilities operate 3-shifts per day, 5 days per week. Typical job descriptions for warehouse/distribution sites include:

* OES Code 87202 Electricians

* OES Code 97947 Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators

* OES Code 93105 Machine Builders and Other Precision Machine Assemblers

* OES Code 55307 Typists (Including Word Processing)

* OES Code 98902 Hand Packers and Packagers

* OES Code 93902 Machine Assemblers

* OES Code 85110 Machinery Maintenance Mechanics

And a "case study"

* Capital Investment $55,000,000

* Land & Building $ 30,000,000

* Machinery & Equipment $ 15,000,000

* Inventory $10,000,000

* Building Size 800,000 square feet

* Site Requirement 50 acres

* Building Footprint 800,000 square feet

* Employees 600 total

* Office and Salary Employees 100

* Plant Full Time Employees 500

* Relocated Employees 20

Wages

* Salary Average $40,000/year + 40% benefits package

* Plant Average $9.00/hour + 25% benefits package

Office Operation

Shifts/Day 3 shifts

Days/Week 5 days

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:xZOohv...en&ct=clnk&cd=4

So that $9/hr is probably not far off. About 15% office/clerical/salaried, the rest plant workers.

So that $9/hr is probably not far off. About 15% office/clerical/salaried, the rest plant workers.

Crap! I was going for worst case scenario with the $9/hr guess.

I dont think this is worth any tax breaks.

Regardless if they build in Grand Rapids or Mount Pleasant, how many new stores / supercenters are they going to build as a result in this area in order to make the distribution center worth its initial / operational cost?

I read a few years back, that Meijer would build a Distribution Center in the Chicago area once the store count in that area reached 25 or so. Right now I think there are about 12 stores in the Chicago area, about 18 if you count South Bend and Michigan City.

I wouldn't be surprised if Meijer built another distribution center. They're quickly outgrowing the one in Lansing.

I heard that too, it's almost hard to beleive because their one in Lansing is massive, it has to be well over 1 million sq. ft.

I heard that too, it's almost hard to beleive because their one in Lansing is massive, it has to be well over 1 million sq. ft.
Spartan Stores' distribution center at Clyde Park and 76th has around 1.2 million square feet of warehouse space.

Archived