Mackinac Island

statedude3

Mackinac Island is a diamond in the rough for Michigan. Many of our residents have not had the opportunity to visit this splendid place. From the downtown shopping to the taverns on the hill to the fudge and carraiges and butterflyhouse, the Island is loaded with fun things to do.

This past weekend I had the extreme privlage of staying at the Masco Cottage at Grand Hotel for the 106th Knights of Columbus convention. Since my fiance's dad is the #2 in the organization, we got to attend the convention and partake in all the glitzy 5 course meals and afternoon tea, and all that crap that makes Grand Hotel a truly grand place to stay.

It happened to be a beautiful weekend that provided me with a great opportunity to break in the new camera!!

The major appeal of Mackinac Island is the lack of automobiles, which were formally banned in the 1930's. Only an ambulance and a Fire Engine are currently on the Island (or so it would seem). When we left a bar on Main Street on Thursday night, a blue minivan drove by us. It took a minute to realize how strange and out of place this was. I have the impression that maybe a few of the year-round residents of the island are allowed to have vehicles.

mainst.jpg

This is the Round Island Lighthouse, taken from about a mile away using a digital zoom. Funny, on an Island where horses and bikes are the only mode of transportation, nobody else wanted to walk with me. :(

lighthouse.jpg

Mackinac Bridge with the Arnold Line ferry boat headed to the Island.

bridgeboat.jpg

The convention centered around Grand Hotel. It's the largest summer hotel in the world, and is certainly worth the once in a lifetime price. I did not have a tripod, so I had to resort to using my fiance's head on a few occasions. Unfortunately, the wind blew her hair in front of the lens.

grandhotel.jpg

The gardens of Grand Hotel cover 50+ acres and include over 150,000 plantings. In addition to many flowers grown at the Grand Hotel Greenhouse, there are thousands of plants shipped to Grand Hotel each spring. Geraniums are the favorite flower of Grand Hotel, where there are over 1,500 on the front porch alone.

lowview.jpg

greenhouse.jpg

bikes.jpg

Her parents stayed in the Presidential Suite, which is covered in historical photos of presidents who have stayed at the hotel. There is a painting of George Washingon which hung in the Capital for over 100 years, as well as a very ornate stove that was one of the original white house heating stoves from way back in the day.

No two rooms at Grand Hotel are decorated the same. Each room has it's own style and unique furnishings, which is truly remarkable considering the size of the hotel. I wish I would have taken more pictures of the interior of the hotel, but it was just too doggon nice outside.

The View from the presidential suite balcony.

presview.jpg

I wish knew how to take a panaramic photo with this camera, because the view was amazing. To the left was The Jewel golf course and to the right was the Mackinac Bridge.

The famous front porch, at 600+ feet long is lined with 100 Wicker Chairs for rest and relaxation.

porchwest.jpg

I could post a million more pictures, but I think I've wasted enough bandwidth. I think Grand Hotel and Mackinac Island is an absolute "Must See" for anyone who lives in Michigan and can afford the $3/gallon gas to travel to the staights area.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics, statedude.

For what it's worth, my wife would kick me in the dingleberries if I tried to use her head in place of a tripod. Amazing that your fiance' let you do so!

lol, yeah it wasnt that easy. I told her to stand still because I needed to do something with the camera. I think she was under the impression I was trying to fix something. Then I said "okay keep walking". :lol:

Great pictures statedude! We're going to spend a few days on Mackinaw Island this summer. I have yet to stay the night, but I hear early mornings and evenings on the island are incredible, with most of the crowds back on the mainland. We probably WON'T be staying at the Grand Hotel though. Not in the budget.

• 2 weeks later...

The major appeal of Mackinac Island is the lack of automobiles, which were formally banned in the 1930's. Only an ambulance and a Fire Engine are currently on the Island (or so it would seem). When we left a bar on Main Street on Thursday night, a blue minivan drove by us. It took a minute to realize how strange and out of place this was. I have the impression that maybe a few of the year-round residents of the island are allowed to have vehicles.

The blue van was probably the police. When I was there last October (after tourist season) the one youngish cop was driving around and around and around.

Also the Mich State Hist Parks have a red pick-up.

To do construction, one applies for a truck permit at a city council meeting. This is not allowed DT during tourist season.

If you ever get the chance, visit in the winter when you crawl into a Buddy Holly airplane. That is a trip!

Archived