Hot Arctic

damus

I think as a nation we need to look at this in a different perspective. The science is clear, global warming is happening. And it's a little fuzzier, but still clear no doubt, that greenhouse gases are speeding up the warming trend by a significant degree (at least in the last 30 years).

What we need to do is be concerned with how we are going to adapt and how we can help nature adapt in situations where it can't help itself.

I think people in my neck of the woods are more worried about global warming because our winter economy is huge and our winters are becoming wimpy. To a Minnesotan, there's nothing worse than a Kansas winter, and that's where we're headed.

Our economy is tied directly to our environment in Minnesota, and to watch these long held economic mainstays dry up because we're careless as a human race just makes it even more hopeless.

It'd be one thing if we knew there was absolutely nothing we could do, but we dont know that.

I can understand people in Phoenix not caring about climate change... there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference between 104 and 110*F... and while the surrounding desert might change, it probably won't hurt their economy.. But when the rivers start drying up out there and the taps don't flow anymore.. maybe they'll get a jolt.

In a warmer world, hurricanes will become more common as the ingredients for powerful storms become more common. Wild fires will increase due to increased evaporation and earlier springs which dries out the soil and the trees. Diseases associated with warm weather will increase in the U.S and spread northward with time...

I just dont see anything positive about global warming, whether it's natural or not.. so we should try all we can to stop wasting so much and become more efficient. It's not THAT much to ask... unless you're the type of "I have mine. I want more. To hell with you." person that seems to become more common every day in this country...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all you guys debating about what is really causing global warming, the real answer is to tune in this coming up Sunday on July 16th at 9:00 pm eastern time on the Discovery Channel to find out. That's because that's when their going to show this 2 hour show called "Global Warming, What you need to know with Tom Brokaw." More info about this great, must see show can be found here: http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/globa...k=netmain_feat1

If you were watching NBC Nightly News earlier tonight, you would of seen that the first 6 months of this year were the hottest ever on record and that it is indeed very possible that our seas will rise 20 feet unless we do something to stop this. Imagine if Miami, NYC, New Orleans, Tampa, and others were all gone. You might not believe me or be against me, but what if it did happen. Just think about that for a couple minutes.

Tune in tomorrow at 9:00 pm eastern to see the real truth on the Discovery Channel. :thumbsup:

I'm watching this right now and it's pretty good.

Something needs to be done that's for sure, even if global warming isn't occuring in the capacity we think it may - the changes for lifestyle would undoubtably be for the better. I mean, no smog and fewer respiratory diseases would be great.

Unfortunately the nay sayers are not interested in this. They will cite anecdotes on the creation of the Universe, evolution, etc as examples of why this probably isn't true.

The fact of the matter is that the billions of engines that we have created as our mechanical slaves are consuming vast amounts of fossil fuel and releasing the stored CO2 into the atmosphere as a by product. It's changed our environment and will continue to do so much to our dismay. People being born today can expect to live in a much more hostile world as a result.

We are in deep sh!t, unless we do something now. Look at what temperatures in some cities in South Dakota hit yesterday: http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2...ocal/news02.txt

-If that's not global warming, I don't know what is

That's not global warming, that's a warm air mass. A day, month, week, year, or decade of warmer temperaturs are no proof of global warming. If we are going to argue that global warming is real, and try to combat it, then let's use fitting data. (Note: I do believe global warming is happening and do believe we need to take measures to stop our contributions to it.)

We are in deep sh!t, unless we do something now. Look at what temperatures in some cities in South Dakota hit yesterday: http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2...ocal/news02.txt

-If that's not global warming, I don't know what is

According to that same article, however, it's been this hot up there before... back in the 70s and 80s. Even in 1936. These things tend to happen from time to time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's certainly not pointing to global warming, because if this continues to happen at regular intervals, it will definitely turn some heads.

• 1 month later...

While you can't blame individual events on global warming, a general rise in storm intensity tied to warmer ocean temperatures tied to higher greenhouse gas emissions can be tied to us.

True. It's a collection of individual events (everybody in your subdivision buying an SUV for the adventure that is a trip to Wal Mart) that have led to higher greenhouse gas emissions that has led to global warming and its consequences (ie. more intense storms).

I just dont see anything positive about global warming, whether it's natural or not.. so we should try all we can to stop wasting so much and become more efficient. It's not THAT much to ask... unless you're the type of "I have mine. I want more. To hell with you." person that seems to become more common every day in this country...

You know I have noticed a lot more Hummers on the road lately...

A decisioin to use less energy should be a no-brainer. Not only is it environmentally savvy, but it's fiscally savvy. Since I switched all the bulbs in my condo from incandescent to flourescent, my monthy electric bill dropped almost 30%. Unfortunately my circa 1982 HVAC unit and appliances aren't exactly up to EnergyStar standards, so I'm not all the way there yet.

You know I have noticed a lot more Hummers on the road lately...

A decisioin to use less energy should be a no-brainer. Not only is it environmentally savvy, but it's fiscally savvy. Since I switched all the bulbs in my condo from incandescent to flourescent, my monthy electric bill dropped almost 30%. Unfortunately my circa 1982 HVAC unit and appliances aren't exactly up to EnergyStar standards, so I'm not all the way there yet.

Hey...

It's not as if our country is very fiscally savvy as it is. Highest deficits in history, an astonishing national debt, savings rates in the negatives... people filing for bankruptcy like crazy...

Who wants to worry about global warming when they're struggling to put food on the table?

I do.

Fact: Our planet goes through cycles of warming and cooling. It's nature and it's proven.

Theory: Humans are partially responsible for the warming of the planet. It's a combination of mankind and nature.

Note that both of those are theories first, and second that a theory is a heavily tested and supported process. They aren't "waiting to become laws." Laws explain abstract concepts; they're basically rules, and much simpler.

If you're going to try to push scientific points, it's probably good to know what a theory really means.

• 1 month later...

The UN has reported that the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere reached a record high in 2005 and are still rising. See the AP article here: http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1149191507477

This follows the British report that says that the economic fallout from not doing anything, staying with business as usual which is the Bush Administration and Congress' strategy, would have devestating economic consequences along the lines of the Great Depression v. a short-term economic outlay now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/30/business...ss/30stern.html

www.sternreview.org.uk

Archived