Hartford Gets Top Ranking For Retail

SOCOM

Hartford Gets Top Ranking For Retail

City leads in new stores; Manchester wanes

by Matthew L. Brown

Hartford Business Journal Staff Writer

...According to a new report by the Finard Retail Review, the city of Hartford imrpoved its retail vacancy rate more than any other municipality in the region. Finard called the decline of the city's vacancy rate from 18.2% in the fourth quarter of 2004 to 11.4% in the fourth quarter of 2005 "dramatic." During that time, the number of vacant storefronts dropped from 191 to 143...

...What's keeping Greater Hartford's retail vacancy rate up at 9.6% is its southeastern portion, especially Manchester, which also has the region's highest concentration of retail space.

There are 801,000 square feet of empty retail space in Manchester. The root of the problem is in empty big box space like Bradlees, Heartland and Kmart, according to Finard.

Hartford Business Journal

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just that article in the HBJ. Even though details have not come out about how much of the new retail space downtown will be occupied I do see numerous new retail/restaurant/entertainment establishments popping up in other areas of neighborhood...where people are living NOW which is nice. It may not be the construction of a new office tower but to me every single new business is important and I for one am happy these individuals decided to choose Hartford

Archived