Columbia Transit

JT Boy

• 2 weeks later...

A real streetcar system would be nice. It could probably be pretty successful if it followed its former route and connected Shandon and Elmwood Park to downtown (via USC & the Vista).

I would love it. I live near Hyatt Park, which was the northern terminus of the original Columbia streetcar system. It was pretty extensive at one time.

Does anyone have access to a map or know the routes of Columbia's original streetcar system?

I find it deplorable that our government allowed every major city (except portions of San Francisco) to have their streetcar networks stripped away. It appears that Columbia had over 11 million passengers annually on 25 miles of track at it's prime.

columbiastreetcarcollagpt5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The bus system costs $11 million a year to operate.

On weekdays, the buses average about 21 passengers per hour

If this is true, you can see why so many people are against the bus system. 11 million bucks a year for 21 passengers an hour is pretty pricey.

That figure on ridership HAS to be wrong.

This is must be an average for the entire day, which makes ridership look extremely low. I'm sure the number of passengers is much higher during peak morning and afternoon hours. I know I see at least one bus almost full during those peak times. Of course, I've also seen empty buses at other times.

They said the bus SYSTEM averages 21 people per hour, not every bus in the system per hour. Maybe they said it wrong, but seeing seeing statistics like that does not help people want to fund the system.

That's 504 rides a day. Not worth 11 million a year. You could buy everyone cars and have a lot left over.

The whole region needs to do something, not just Columbia. There is absolutely no cooperation. :wacko:

The problem, though, is that it was Columbia's mayor and city council that relieved SCANA of the responsibility of operating the system without first identifying and securing an alternate funding source. And the majority of the riders are from Columbia. Thus, the city of Columbia needs to be leading on this issue and it's not. Let the city get something going and you might see Richland and maybe even Lexington get on board, but it's gotta start with the city.

Everyone please see this link.

It is the data sheet for CMRTA from the National Transit Database. using "21 passengers per hour" is a very simplistic measure of bus performance. Its media spin on an issue that will get people riled up. Nobody uses average daily passengers per route because that makes no sense. Look at the datasheet.

"It's in the hard copy edition, in the Metro section, inside. It's a blurb on the left hand side of page 3. "

Thanks, Matt. Saw it when I got home. That number looks better to me.

And Spartan, yeah, 8000 something trips/M-F makes more sense.

Krazee hit the nail on the head with Columbia needing to take a lead.

• 2 months later...

I had an idea to help the bus systems and also to help bring LRT Into the city and the midlands. i think if we open up more tourist spots to bused and trains i think people will come to see. Also the other plans i cant tell everyone till i tell the mayor,but trust me i see a big need for lrt in columbia specialy with obamas stimulus plan to help transit in cities.

Obama's plan really isn't doing that much for transit, a fact that frustrates many transit supporters. Even if it were at a higher level of support, Columbia does not meet the criteria to qualify for transit aid via normal processes, and there has been very little information about what specific criteria projects have to meet to qualify for stimulus funding. The most obvious barrier is that Columbia doesn't have plans "shovel ready." There has also not been a feasibility study to show that it could work, and there is barely enough support for the bus system that is limping a long as it is. In order to build rail the city and county must support a robust system of bus routes and create a city where people use them.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you, but this is the reality of public transit in Columbia, and the rest of South Carolina right now.