Columbia Transit

JT Boy

I don't live in Columbia anymore but something I would really use would be a "trolley" like downtown Greenville has. It could go from the Vista to Main Street to Five Points and back around. Even a shorter route in the Vista would be great (Columbia is spread out!). Of course it would have to be free to be used a lot but it would do wonders for development. Transit will always be a loss leader in my opinion and they really screwed the pooch when they let SCENG off the hook from running the bus systems (of course they didn't run them that well either). Oh well.

I would like to see Trolley's back on the road and would be cool to have a few trolley's on track also to run the areas further out like harbison, northeast, southeast, and Lexington. Just a thought.

I don't live in Columbia anymore but something I would really use would be a "trolley" like downtown Greenville has. It could go from the Vista to Main Street to Five Points and back around. Even a shorter route in the Vista would be great (Columbia is spread out!). Of course it would have to be free to be used a lot but it would do wonders for development. Transit will always be a loss leader in my opinion and they really screwed the pooch when they let SCENG off the hook from running the bus systems (of course they didn't run them that well either). Oh well.

When I was at Carolina they had a trolley that ran up and down Main Street and into the Vista. It was cancelled due to low ridership. IMO, the route wasn't laid out very well. They should connect Five Points, Main St, and the Vista to USC and other large employment areas.

• 2 weeks later...

A trolley with a reasonable schedule that connects the Vista, USC, Main Street, and Five Points would be awesome and might allow the city and USC to eliminate redundant services. I hope long term the City finds a way to make Gervais more pedestrian friendly in order to truly connect the disparate zones in the city, but a trolley would have a similar effect if they could get USC students and Main Street workers to buy in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody here heard anything yet about the Columbia- Charlotte Commuter Train yet like any talks on starting the project soon or something?

I kinda hope it never gets realized because the commuter train and the possible Ft. Jackson defense cuts could completely kill the Columbia Metropolitan Airport and that's not what anybody want's since the airport is apartently completely reversing a 6-year 33% passenger decline.

Edited by lucjanrc

I kinda hope it never gets realized because the commuter train and the possible Ft. Jackson defense cuts could completely kill the Columbia Metropolitan Airport and that's not what anybody want's since the airport is apartently completely reversing a 6-year 33% passenger decline.

I hope it does gets realize because everyone don't want to keep paying for airplanes and going through all that security and stuff. i mean if i want a job in Charlotte and have a Train to take me to work i rather take a Train instead of a Plane its more then likely faster by time consumption and cheaper.

i think it will benefit the airport in the long run as Columbia gets bigger. but i really hope it gets realized. all of course IMO

I would be shocked if the Columbia-Charlotte train gets any traction in the next ten years, and it likely will be much longer than that. The Republican Party in Washington and Columbia are intransigent in their opposition to mass transit, particularly trains, and I have heard no mention of funding for this project in the upcoming 1% sales tax referendum. Considering today's political realities, making progress on any railways in the Southeast will be an uphill battle to say the least, and I think that battle would be better suited for more high profile routes, such as Charlotte-Atlanta.

Putting that aside, a healthy rail network in South Carolina would not "kill" CAE. People don't fly from CAE to ATL or CLT unless they're connecting, the distances are too short to make flying practical between those cities. CAE would possibly see a shift in flight patterns to more direct service to more distant cities if people started using the train to commute to CLT instead of making connecting flights, but that would only happen if there was rail-to-plane service to CLT. Again, I don't think this is anywhere on the horizon.

Edited by SCxpBrussel

• 1 month later...

South Carolina might miss the train on high-speed rail if it’s not careful.

Under the Obama administration, the federal government has issued millions of dollars in competitive grants to help defray the initial costs of environmental and ridership studies. The idea is to help spur interest in a network of national high-speed rail projects, part of President Obama’s stimulus packages.

One of the grants was offered to an alliance of three Southern states — Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina — to prepare initial environmental impact statement studies. The impact statements would be an early, first step to linking high-speed rail along the I-85 corridor from Atlanta through Greenville and Charlotte, and eventually to the Northeast.

Edited by growingup15

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

4 Years since Someone on here Came up with the name 4 years Since I myself pitched it at a Council meeting with the Mayor.

COMET is coming alive everyone http://www.wltx.com/news/article/234000/2/Columbias-Public-Buses-Get-New-Name-Comet

Congratulations, growingup15.  I proudly wrote about the new name and the bus stop a block from my house on my Facebook page last night.  I vaguely remembered it was you who came up with that name.  To me, not only does the name invoke thoughts of a sleek, fast-moving system, but the CO and MET together are a great acronym for Columbia Metropolitan.  Did you think of that aspect of it, too?  I'm excited.  Thank you for your creativity.  

Congratulations, growingup15.  I proudly wrote about the new name and the bus stop a block from my house on my Facebook page last night.  I vaguely remembered it was you who came up with that name.  To me, not only does the name invoke thoughts of a sleek, fast-moving system, but the CO and MET together are a great acronym for Columbia Metropolitan.  Did you think of that aspect of it, too?  I'm excited.  Thank you for your creativity.  

It was actually COlumbia Metropolitan Transit.

Was it me? I pretty sure it was someone else who was throwing the name around. I mean I dont want to take all the credit. 

Im still so surprised 4 years and finally approved :D

It was actually COlumbia Metropolitan Transit.

Was it me? I pretty sure it was someone else who was throwing the name around. I mean I dont want to take all the credit. 

Im still so surprised 4 years and finally approved :D

Oh, then my vague memory isn't as good as I thought it was.  Anyway, I plan to walk to the corner on my street and over a block and take The Comet sometimes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

CMRTA website and pamplets now has switched over to COMET. im a bit upset that they still havent called me back yet about giving me credit for the name change. even though news reports said that the idea came from a middle school student over 4 years ago at a local smrta board meeting that gave them the idea they technically didnt say a name. im concern that im being cheated out of major reconition. and possibly money.

CMRTA website and pamplets now has switched over to COMET. im a bit upset that they still havent called me back yet about giving me credit for the name change. even though news reports said that the idea came from a middle school student over 4 years ago at a local smrta board meeting that gave them the idea they technically didnt say a name. im concern that im being cheated out of major reconition. and possibly money.

If you suggested the name in a public forum you might be out of luck.  I'm not sure how that works.  You could ask an attorney.

• Like 1