Columbia Transit

JT Boy

I just heard today that the mayor is going to use $5million on the bus system to buy new buses finally money well spent. :)

Growing up,

The mayor has no control over that money. It was given directly to the transit authority based on federal formula funds. Unfortunately, the stimulus only allows it to be used on capital purchases and not operating expenses, which is what the CMRTA desperately needs.

The buses are already new?

Those buses are not new they were bought form NY there used buses.

Growing up,

The mayor has no control over that money. It was given directly to the transit authority based on federal formula funds. Unfortunately, the stimulus only allows it to be used on capital purchases and not operating expenses, which is what the CMRTA desperately needs.

Well it was all over the news on about our bus system is getting new buses. i should talk to wis or talk to the mayor myself and ask him whats going on then.

You're misunderstanding who controls the money. CMRTA is a separate entity from the City of Columbia, so the mayor doesn't have a say over how they spend their money. If CMRTA spends money on busses that's fine, but the mayor has nothing to do with it.

I know im just saying what the mayor said whats going on and whats going to happen to the bus system i didnt say he had control of of it. if it seems like i said that im sorry. but still i heard that CMRTA is going to buy new buses for our sysytem. I think we need them bad or just use the money to create rail transit.

I don't think we need new buses, they look pretty new and serve their purpose. I would like to see that money spent on improving the actual bus stops. Many of them consist of a number on a power pole, with absolutely no directions or a map. You have to be familiar with the system and can't just walk up and catch a bus. The major stops should be beautified with benches and be sheltered from the elements.

• 2 months later...

The CMRTA recently started the process to amend the intergovernmental agreement that created the system in 2002. The new agreement will limit voting membership on the board only to member governments that provide funding to the CMRTA, and the board must eliminate service in non-contributing jurisdictions by next year. Since Lexington County and its municipalities have expressed no interest in funding regional transit, and the system will be funded entirely by Coumbia and Richland County, should the CMRTA be renamed? And if so, what name would you choose? The possibilities are endless...

Raleigh and Harrisburg both use "Capital Area Transit" or "The Cat." Does anyone here have any creative ideas?

What was it before CMRTA? Wasn't it the Columbia Transit Authority (CTA)?

I'm just curious. I wouldn't want to repeat the same thing as before.

Also, as far as the CMRTA goes, I went to a Carolina baseball game last Friday (Go Cocks!) and they were using some CMRTA busses as transportation to the stadium.

What was it before CMRTA? Wasn't it the Columbia Transit Authority (CTA)?

I'm just curious. I wouldn't want to repeat the same thing as before.

Also, as far as the CMRTA goes, I went to a Carolina baseball game last Friday (Go turkeys!) and they were using some CMRTA busses as transportation to the stadium.

There was not a transit authority prior to CMRTA. It was neglect... I mean... operated by SCE&G through 2002.

• 3 months later...