Columbia Transit

JT Boy

CMRTA is is going to be analyzed for improvements in efficiency and service.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news...ive-study?rss=0

The three studies were a requirement of the three party intergovernmental agreement between the city, county, and the CMRTA. The studies will include a park-and-ride feasibility study, comprehensive operations analysis (to study routes, fare structure, service areas, frequency, etc) as well as a performance audit of the private company that operates the buses. These studies will form the basis for any future attempt to secure long term funding for the bus system.

Another requirement of the IGA is that Lexington County and its municipalities will relinquish their membership on the CMRTA board, and service in Lexington County will be eliminated shortly thereafter. The only way to get back in will be for the county or any of its municipalities to pony up and start paying into the system.

• 2 months later...

heres a Few idea for Columbia if we ever get a Rapid Transit and Lightrail

I saw the COMET Thing a while back before signing up for Urbanplanet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4073912408/

Station.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4073152571/

Train coming down track.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4073152697/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Heres the New Rail line Design i made today. 4952425909_718047c2a5_b.jpg

The idea is that the Blue line would be the First line! that runs from Rosewood dr to Newberry as a Start off line and from there we will see after 2 years if it would be Good enough to start the Second line. Just an idea. but here the original. one. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4562614574_1f02e927f7_z.jpg

Richland County’s $13.5 million-a-year plan to rescue bus service would move the county toward a second type of public transportation, one serving the suburbs. Consultants looking ahead 25 years suggest the bus system should target communities surrounding the core of Columbia, where residents want to shop in their own neighborhoods. The plan also would offer people living around Ballentine, Blythewood and Eastover commuter service into downtown.

The new approaches to public transit are part of a proposal for a penny-on-the-dollar sales tax that will be on Richland County ballots Nov. 2. The plan is to use a third of the proceeds for public transportation — adding to the county’s basic bus service to attract new riders. Most of the money raised would be used for road improvements.

Richland County’s $13.5 million-a-year plan to rescue bus service would move the county toward a second type of public transportation, one serving the suburbs. Consultants looking ahead 25 years suggest the bus system should target communities surrounding the core of Columbia, where residents want to shop in their own neighborhoods. The plan also would offer people living around Ballentine, Blythewood and Eastover commuter service into downtown.

The new approaches to public transit are part of a proposal for a penny-on-the-dollar sales tax that will be on Richland County ballots Nov. 2. The plan is to use a third of the proceeds for public transportation — adding to the county’s basic bus service to attract new riders. Most of the money raised would be used for road improvements.

Great ^_^

My idea for a New central Bus center in Downtown Columbia. In the Same spot where the Main bus station is at now. But update it into something Bigger. with Parking Retail and A Big lobby for people to Wait for there bus. indoors. This is something that Might not even be looked for a few years now.

Everything Done on Paint.

Tell me what you think

4979834223_ed4f2fac22_b.jpg

Growingup-

I like the commuter rail maps you have posted. They seem somewhat plausible since they follow existing rail lines into the city. My only area of concern is the location of park and ride versus non-park and ride stations. Typically you will see areas closer into the city as walk-up stations only (i.e.: no park and ride).

On the Blue Line: the Center City stops at the central transit station, Riverbanks, and the airport should not be park and ride. Riverbanks needs the parking for visitors, and you would probably want visitors to take the train to the zoo anyway. Plus, people that close to downtown will most likely drive since it's only 10 minutes to downtown by car.

On the Red Line, either Irmo OR Harbison should be park and ride, but not both. My suggestion would be to have Irmo without a park and ride, since it is a slightly more "urban" location than Harbison Blvd. I'm not sure which map you prefer, but if you have a stop at the West Cola river front, that should not be park and ride either.

Your rendering is pretty decent considering you used MS Paint. You should look into Google SketchUp for your 3D designs. It's free, and pretty easy to use (once you figure out what everything does).

Growingup-

I like the commuter rail maps you have posted. They seem somewhat plausible since they follow existing rail lines into the city. My only area of concern is the location of park and ride versus non-park and ride stations. Typically you will see areas closer into the city as walk-up stations only (i.e.: no park and ride).

On the Blue Line: the Center City stops at the central transit station, Riverbanks, and the airport should not be park and ride. Riverbanks needs the parking for visitors, and you would probably want visitors to take the train to the zoo anyway. Plus, people that close to downtown will most likely drive since it's only 10 minutes to downtown by car.

On the Red Line, either Irmo OR Harbison should be park and ride, but not both. My suggestion would be to have Irmo without a park and ride, since it is a slightly more "urban" location than Harbison Blvd. I'm not sure which map you prefer, but if you have a stop at the West Cola river front, that should not be park and ride either.

Your rendering is pretty decent considering you used MS Paint. You should look into Google SketchUp for your 3D designs. It's free, and pretty easy to use (once you figure out what everything does).

Thanks i'm glad you like my idea.

and i use Printshop22 for the Rail transit and logo. and the Bus station Rendering all Paint. ^_^ thanks

Edited by growingup15

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy Windsor, vice chair of the Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority and a vocal supporter of transit services in the Midlands, says he can’t support Richland County’s proposed tax because of the other, non-bus-related road projects that make up two-thirds of the proposed 1 percent sales tax hike. The tax-hike referendum goes before voters on Nov. 2.

Over the next 25 years, according to the county, about $627 million, or 61 percent of the tax money raised, would go to road projects around the county. $58 million, or 6 percent, would go to bike paths and greenways. The remainder would pay for existing and improved bus service.

That's a first. Usually it's the other way around. I agree with the principle that there needs to be dedicated funding solely for transit as good public policy, but at this point CMRTA needs to take what it can get. There's a difference between flawed public policy and doing what it takes to get things done, particularly in South Carolina.

Tommy Windsor, vice chair of the Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority and a vocal supporter of transit services in the Midlands, says he can’t support Richland County’s proposed tax because of the other, non-bus-related road projects that make up two-thirds of the proposed 1 percent sales tax hike. The tax-hike referendum goes before voters on Nov. 2.

Over the next 25 years, according to the county, about $627 million, or 61 percent of the tax money raised, would go to road projects around the county. $58 million, or 6 percent, would go to bike paths and greenways. The remainder would pay for existing and improved bus service.

And i agree with Tommy. I believe most of the Money if not all of it should go to Improving the Bus transit and possible Future Transit in Columbia

That's a first. Usually it's the other way around. I agree with the principle that there needs to be dedicated funding solely for transit as good public policy, but at this point CMRTA needs to take what it can get. There's a difference between flawed public policy and doing what it takes to get things done, particularly in South Carolina.

Yeah, he's being entirely too ideological and not pragmatic enough.

On the scale of building transit infrastructure, monorails are the most expensive and least effective mode you can possibly build. Columbia is (and should be) thinking about commuter rail first, and improving -or building a new- downtown rail station/transit center. LRT is the next most viable option for Columbia.

Step one in building any sort of fixed rail is finding a way to pay for both capital operating costs. Any and all costs have to be covered by some sort of tax, because fares alone typically don't cover the entire expense. The federal government offers subsidies and grants for capital infrastructure, but not operating costs. The route has to be planned so that it serves existing residents and businesses, but still creates areas for new infill development. Redevelopment is what makes LRT worth the cost.

As for the sidewalks portion, if Columbians ever want to have an LRT system or any other sort of rail, sidewalks must be present so that people can walk safely and comfortably to their destinations. You can't build much for $20 million, but it's a start.

On the scale of building transit infrastructure, monorails are the most expensive and least effective mode you can possibly build. Columbia is (and should be) thinking about commuter rail first, and improving -or building a new- downtown rail station/transit center. LRT is the next most viable option for Columbia.

Step one in building any sort of fixed rail is finding a way to pay for both capital operating costs. Any and all costs have to be covered by some sort of tax, because fares alone typically don't cover the entire expense. The federal government offers subsidies and grants for capital infrastructure, but not operating costs. The route has to be planned so that it serves existing residents and businesses, but still creates areas for new infill development. Redevelopment is what makes LRT worth the cost.

As for the sidewalks portion, if Columbians ever want to have an LRT system or any other sort of rail, sidewalks must be present so that people can walk safely and comfortably to their destinations. You can't build much for $20 million, but it's a start.

Your the first person i can agree with recently and your right.

i have a few Digital Renderings of a New Transit Stations and stuff you think i should upload it.