Columbia Transit

JT Boy

I think it would be better for Columbia to have its primary train station located on Gervais St, simply because it is a primary road which would be better for pedestrians and general awareness/visibility of the station. Vehicular access can be on Wayne Street, and the Station itself can sit level with the bridge with the platforms located below. They would probably have to install retaining walls to accommodate the additional tracks for staging and allowing through traffic (I'm assuming freight rail still uses those tracks).

I think it would be better for Columbia to have its primary train station located on Gervais St, simply because it is a primary road which would be better for pedestrians and general awareness/visibility of the station. Vehicular access can be on Wayne Street, and the Station itself can sit level with the bridge with the platforms located below. They would probably have to install retaining walls to accommodate the additional tracks for staging and allowing through traffic (I'm assuming freight rail still uses those tracks).

yeah but theres no room there. i think Gervais St will be another station

• 3 weeks later...

Off topic a bit kinda random. just thought of this last night. its an old idea i had. i revisited it. If Columbia and richland county ever thinks abotu in the next 20 years of getting into better Transit. i had this idea called the 2030 Plan.

The Light rail transit idea i had with the Red and blue line. also my Idea for the Main st Subway. that runs from the Starlite area side of town s. columbia- blythwood. and also connects to The center transit center/Amtrak. this is just the Downtown look

Also im thinking Streetcar on Assembly also. someone suggested that to me.

5147813796_dbe28816df_b.jpg

Given the current political environment, I was shocked to see it almost win. Charleston passed a penny sales tax for school construction VERY easily. It is only for a few years though, so maybe that helped. I was surprised there too though.

Should the proponents return in two years with the full cent or pare down the spending list and go for a 1/2 cent?

Judging by the fact that some Northeast precincts voted in favor, I think the road construction element would need to remain in the mix, for it to be viable.

• 2 weeks later...

i got a Meeting set up with SCDOT About future Rail transit in Columbia and South Carolina. im going soon i got the date but i rather not say. i will just give yall the results afterwards. I

If you have some ideas you want them to know or hear tell me you can email here and put subject: Rail project and tell me what you want me to tell them and i will tell them ok.

Considering the small margin of defeat for the transit sales tax, I hope the pro-transit plan tries again for the full 1% tax to fund the range of road, bus, and pedestrian/bike improvements. The pro-transit supporters did not do a sufficient job selling the tax. Not enough was done to explain the benefits and impact of the planned projects. For example, the Congaree River Parkway would open up an entirely new corridor in downtown Columbia for development, complementing the mid- to long-term plans for Innovista and the landmark riverfront park. Also, if people understood what the "improved" bus system would look like, they may be more likely to support it. I'm speculating here, but let's assume for debate purposes that the improved bus system would provide a frequent link between the Vista, Main Street, Five Points, and the Devine Street corridor (e.g., every 5-10 mins) or that bus service would take fans to Williams-Brice on gamedays. If people knew concrete examples such as these instead of the abstract "better bus system," it'd be much easier sell.

The examples I listed above are some of my ideas for what an improved bus system in Columbia would offer. What are other peoples' thoughts?

Edited by SCxpBrussel

Huge cuts possible for bus service in Columbia: http://www.thestate.com/2010/11/27/1579494/bus-service-would-be-slashed.html#disqus_thread Funny how they can find $100 million for Innovista but can't find any money for transit. dry.gif

I sincerely hope you know we're talking about two entirely different sources for funding here that are totally unrelated. Secondly, the city has not spent $100 million on Innovista so I have no clue what you're talking about there. Thirdly, the issue with public transit in Columbia (at least since Coble let SCANA off the hook) is a permanent funding source, not one lump sum of taxpayer dollars.

I Just got back from my Personal Conference with the SCDOT Mass transit guy. and he loved my ideas and funny thing is that he said my ideas ties into the city and states idea for future transit. Currently right now Phase one is in progress for a High speed Train running from Downtown Columbia-Downtown Charlotte.

im talking with a different guy next time come around he works with COATS and will see through with my ideas for future transit. also for my Interstate idea. i will explain the interstate one on the Traffic Forum.

CMRTA board members recently approved some cost-saving changes to keep buses running through September. These include no more security at the bus transit center on Sumter Street beginning Jan. 1, cuustomers must pay 25 cents to transfer to another route beginning Jan. 1, and transit authority employees must take one day off, unpaid, for the next 10 months. Other major service cuts — including reducing routes by up to 75%, laying off 66 employees and reducing service hours — must first be approved by Richland County and Columbia City councils. Transit authority officials expect to have an answer from both councils by the end of January.

I Just got back from my Personal Conference with the SCDOT Mass transit guy. and he loved my ideas and funny thing is that he said my ideas ties into the city and states idea for future transit. Currently right now Phase one is in progress for a High speed Train running from Downtown Columbia-Downtown Charlotte.

im talking with a different guy next time come around he works with COATS and will see through with my ideas for future transit. also for my Interstate idea. i will explain the interstate one on the Traffic Forum.

This is the first I've ever heard of High Speed Rail from Columbia to Charlotte. Are you talking about the SCDOT Rail Divison's state-wide passenger rail feasibility study? That one includes a route between Columbia and Charlotte.

"Phase 1" implies some higher level of planning and coordination between SCDOT, NCDOT, and CATS/CDOT in Charlotte.

This is the first I've ever heard of High Speed Rail from Columbia to Charlotte. Are you talking about the SCDOT Rail Divison's state-wide passenger rail feasibility study? That one includes a route between Columbia and Charlotte.

"Phase 1" implies some higher level of planning and coordination between SCDOT, NCDOT, and CATS/CDOT in Charlotte.

mmm hmmm SCDOT Mass transit officials went to Realigh,NC NCDOT and had a meeting about that. they are working on that project right now. the construction and service is not expected for another 5 years.