Columbia Transit

JT Boy

Maybe 900,000, but not over 1 million. I still don't think they will join up though.

We may not be here to see it, but I still think they will join one day. The development in Sumter is stretching west on US 76. Also the development on Garner's Ferry in Columbia is stretching East. Although there is some wetlands and forests in between, I truly believe that one day there will be contiguous development between Sumter and Columbia. The same will probably be said about Newberry, Kershaw, Orangeburg, etc.

Although there is some wetlands and forests in between, I truly believe that one day there will be contiguous development between Sumter and Columbia.

I pray I never live to see the day. You're talking about the Wateree River and surrounding swamplands. When malls and condos are built in those places Hell will freeze over. I hope.

• 5 months later...

SCANA will no longer be a major funding source for CMRTA as of 2009. In the meantime, it appears as though the regional bus system is just left to dry. I cannot imagine a metro area as big as Columbia having NO mass transit; that would be totally abysmal.

Just the physical absence of the busses would take a huge bite out of the cosmopolitan feel of the city. If they were gone people would feel like there's something major missing, and then they would figure it out.

^You're right; Charleston and Greenville are also having problems with their bus systems currently. I mean the system doesn't have to be perfect, but it at least has to be workable. And as G-man said, if we can't even find stable funding sources for buses, what makes us think we'll be getting light rail or commuter rail anytime in the near future?

And people need to understand that something like affects everyone in the metro area, not just the people who ride the busses. The article mentioned Lexington County not being able to utilize a one cent sales tax for this, since there's already one that will be on the ballots for their schools. Maybe Cayce and West Columbia will step up and do something.

They need a steady source of auxiliary funding for the bus system, probably a local option sales tax. Also, a fare increase is better than reduced service. People who can't afford a car must have reliable transportation to work.

If you're working for at least minimum wage, you can afford a car. I've done it. Throw in a wife/husband and kids, thats a different story.

That said, I still think we have a lack of "expressed" desire for public transport. The people who really use it are the ones whose voices aren't heard in the public debate. Sometimes because they're too lazy, sometimes because they just don't have the time. What politicians need to realize is that almost NO public transportation system is fully self-funding. The only one in the world that is, is in Hong Kong - where the density is ridiculous, and people would laugh at you if you said "I drive to work." We'll eventually have to just suck it up and pay for the system out of general public revenue.

The people who really use it are the ones whose voices aren't heard in the public debate. Sometimes because they're too lazy, sometimes because they just don't have the time.

Or they're just disillusioned and know that the powers-that-be are going to do whatever they're going to do anyway, so they just don't even bother. And those who are in a position to be heard don't really take the bus, so the typical reaction there is, "I don't care; it doesn't affect me." One poster on thestate.com said it best, IMO:

I can't beleive its so difficult for people to understand what a bus system in this area means to the economy! All major cities have a bus system in place, and I know we are no NY, but with all the studies being done on commuter rail feasability, people have got to understand that none of that will come about if there is no basic bus system. The idea that you could replace the bus system with cabs is ridiculous. Do you realize that last year the CMRTA had over 2.8 million trips taken? Those buses are packed in the mornings when I'm going to work! I hope those of you who don't want to support a public transportation system are ready to see our hospitality industry crumble when none of those workers can get to their jobs, I hope you are ready to wait hours and hours at the hospital because the nurses can't get to work, I hope you are ready to see our men and women in uniform at Ft. Jackson go without clean sheets or a hot meal, because many of those who work on the base use the bus system to get there. Look, I don't want to pay taxes any more than the next guy, but we have got to find a way to support this bus system.

The only thing I can do is shake my head in disbelief as I thought we were progessing. :shok:

we are progressing!!! I don't see columbia loosing our bus system. the money runs out in 09. Im willing to bet anyone we will come up with something :thumbsup: So I don't think we really have to worry about this.

And I just read in the Metro section of the paper that there was a meeting tonight in the Richland Co. library discussing the Commuter Rail Feasibility Study conducted by the Central Midlands Council of Governments. They discussed potential commuter lines from Batesburg-Leesville, Camden and Newberry to DT Columbia.

That's real ironic, isn't it.

If i wasn't at work and the article wasn't so tiny (I barely noticed it), I may have checked it out.

And I just read in the Metro section of the paper that there was a meeting tonight in the Richland Co. library discussing the Commuter Rail Feasibility Study conducted by the Central Midlands Council of Governments. They discussed potential commuter lines from Batesburg-Leesville, Camden and Newberry to DT Columbia.

That's real ironic, isn't it.

If i wasn't at work and the article wasn't so tiny (I barely noticed it), I may have checked it out.

exactly

This is unfortunate, but the bus system isn't going away (or at least I hope not). Routes will probably be eliminated and fares will be raised.

The people who rely on this system to make a living (most who are struggling already) are getting screwed.

Why again do lawmakers want to suspend the gas tax? How about raise the gas tax by a few cents and use some of that money.

Has anyone ever ridden the CMRTA? I've always wanted to.

Edited by BrasilnSC

I think since USC is trying to make the world believers with fuel cell. Why don't that donate or as a experiment make columbia the first city to have a bus system ran off fuel cell. It would save the city and lexington county millions and it would bring some attention to the invention to fuel cell

I'd like to see the numbers - which employers have the most employees who commute via CMRTA? I would wager the hospitals are among them. USC maybe?

Would it be outlandish to suggest that those businesses most dependent on bus riders for employees help with a small portion of CMRTA's funding?