Columbia Transit

JT Boy

I helped with a study at my old job that required me to ride the Park and Ride Bus from Columbia to Camden on afternoon. It was a pretty enjoyable ride. There are two pickups (or at least there were) at 4:30 and 5:30 (i think). The pickups start at the Main Bus Station on Sumter, continue down Sumter and around the Statehouse, and back up Assembly. It also made a stop at the Fontaine Buisness Park of 277, and I think one at Columbia Place, but I can't remember.

As much as I would love to see Light Rail in the Columbia area, I just dont think there demand is there... yet. There were only 12-15 riders on the Park and Ride I went on.

That reminds me of another thing that I was going to say. In this case, I disagree with one of the opinions stated in that article. I don't think that having bus routes to Camden will make the case for commuter rail at all. People will be more likely to take a train to commute to Columbia than to ride a bus there. I think that people need to realize that the bus system is not a popular means of transportation in America. Trains seem to be a more acceptable method of intra-metro travel.

That reminds me of another thing that I was going to say. In this case, I disagree with one of the opinions stated in that article. I don't think that having bus routes to Camden will make the case for commuter rail at all. People will be more likely to take a train to commute to Columbia than to ride a bus there. I think that people need to realize that the bus system is not a popular means of transportation in America. Trains seem to be a more acceptable method of intra-metro travel.

I agree. A train seems, and most likely is, much more reliable than a bus. Also, I think people tend to look "down" on busses more so than trains.

Here's another question for you- where should the train station be in downtown Columbia?

The tracks used are the ones that come down what would have been Laurens St between Harden and Gregg Streets, then go over to Five Points, around Maxcy-Gregg Park through USC between Wheat St and Catawba St.

Here's another question for you- where should the train station be in downtown Columbia?

The tracks used are the ones that come down what would have been Laurens St between Harden and Gregg Streets, then go over to Five Points, around Maxcy-Gregg Park through USC between Wheat St and Catawba St.

there's an abandoned line running through the vista...you can still see the infrastructure (a few overpasses over the line, a few tunnels.) maybe that could be reused somehow?

to the OP: interesting ideas. i've had a few ideas myself, not as compelte a system as yours though, and sort of based on the light rail in Manchester, England (start out simple and expand.) subways are expensive, so i don't see that happening...it'd be nice though.

Rosewood/N. Beltline (switches with Assembly and Forest Drive/Taylor;) possible extension to stadium/fairgrounds and Olympia

Assembly - part of it makes a western loop around West Columbia/Cayce; the other part goes north, splitting at N. Main and Broad River (which goes to Harbison)

now that there's a loop, make the inner lines:

Forest Drive/Taylor - connects with N. Beltline, Harden and Assembly

a Harden line for Five Points access, and then go from there on extending it out.

-

Where is an abandoned line in the Vista? The only line that I know of that runs through there is still used.

I believe he is referring to the one that runs through Arsenal Hill -- From Finlay Park over to Elmwood. I have often wondered if they were going to fill that in or reuse it for something.

Edited by emerging.me

columbialightrail3yg.jpg

I'm not sure what happened to the original image but since I can't edit the intial posting; this is the Light-Rail Plan that I created.

Hmmm, I'm not placing this one. Where exactly in Finlay Park can the rail line be viewed?

I thought the rail line through Finlay Park had been removed or buried? If you look at an aerial map of Downtown, you can get of sense of where it would have run.

Edit: I edited the your original post with this image. --monsoon

Edited by metro.m

Hmmm, I'm not placing this one. Where exactly in Finlay Park can the rail line be viewed?

It was the line that ran by Blue Marlin. If you drive north on Lincoln, by the Blue Marlin, you will notice around the police station an abandon tunnel. It comes out almost at Hampton I believe. It then cut through Finlay Park, and there's another tunner under in Finlay Park. The tracks have been removed.

It was the line that ran by Blue Marlin. If you drive north on Lincoln, by the Blue Marlin, you will notice around the police station an abandon tunnel. It comes out almost at Hampton I believe. It then cut through Finlay Park, and there's another tunner under in Finlay Park. The tracks have been removed.

that's it.

-

Oh ok. Well that one is definately not there anymore. I'm guessing that a station would have to go either near Hampton or Taylor on the existing line near Hardern St or down near USC somewhere... maybe they should kick California Dreamin out and use that as a train station again.

The State is reporting this morning that Richland County voted yesterday for a $20 increase in vehicle registration fees for individuals and $30 for businesses to fund the bus system. The article said the thinking was to avoid putting it before voters for another tax increase. I think this is a very wise move.

I understand the need for funding for public transit, but what the hell are they doing with those exhorbitant car property taxes they are collecting? Florida does not collect any state income or property tax, and they were able to fund public projects long before the recent boom ever happened. I am surprised at all the talk about the home property tax which I think is not that high, and no one complains when we are taxed every year on a depreciating asset. I am actually considering not buying a new car next year because I don't want to pay that much tax. Seems kind counter-productive to car sales to me, but maybe that's cause I'm not used to it.

The State is reporting this morning that Richland County voted yesterday for a $20 increase in vehicle registration fees for individuals and $30 for businesses to fund the bus system. The article said the thinking was to avoid putting it before voters for another tax increase. I think this is a very wise move.

I'm sure there will be an outcry against it, but I think in the end it was a good move as well. What is Lexington County doing? Seems that funding is only on the radar of Columbia/Richland. Lexington needs to jump on this, as they benefit immensely from CMRTA as well.

I'm sure there will be an outcry against it, but I think in the end it was a good move as well. What is Lexington County doing? Seems that funding is only on the radar of Columbia/Richland. Lexington needs to jump on this, as they benefit immensely from CMRTA as well.

Your right!! It didn't have anything about lexington county in the paper. It's seems like richland county is footing the bill. :blink:

Your right!! It didn't have anything about lexington county in the paper. It's seems like richland county is footing the bill. :blink:

We always have to foot the bill because people in Lexington County are too cheap to pay for anything. That's why most people in Lexington County have no trash pickup and it takes an hour for a sheriff's deputy to show up in a time of need.

Listening to the news this morning the extra tax is expected to generate a extra 3 to 5 million a year. With this kind of money being fueled into CMTRA we should see a more effective bus system in the years to come and a new bus barn. I only hope that the money is managed properly..