Columbia Transit

JT Boy

Well, I've already added my two cents. But interestingly enough, you DO have several opinions being expressed. Seems as though some aren't against CMRTA being funded, but that this isn't the way to do it--raising rates seems to be the most popular alternative in this regard.

Interestingly enough CARTA down in Charleston is talking about scaling back service and wants more money as well.

Thats one very strong arguement against the bus. I mean, I wish it werent, but it is. Thats why I think if it were done correctly, a train system would be more appropriate. I hope that Charlotte is successful with its LRT system, and can be a leader to set an example for Columbia and other cities in SC.

thats why it cant do good in Columbia...Everyone thinks that if you ride the bus you are poor and uneducated...why do we think that down here

whereas if you go to Philadelphia or NY, or anywhere up North...Just about everyone rides the bus...I have family who moved down here from up North and they never even learned how to drive because they always took the subway or bus system...

That is the preception because it is the truth here. Basicly only the poor people have to ride the bus, and they are usually uneducated too. You just look at the people at the bus stops, and you can tell what part of society they are from. Most people don't want to deal with that... it goes way outside of their comfort zone.

Traffic is also not anywhere near as bad here as it is up north. In Boston or Philadelphia you would be crazy to want to commute by driving into town from a distant suburb. Why not take the T or SEPTA? Its just not that bad here. Even in the places with bad traffic, you can still get to where you need to go in a reasonable timeframe during all other hours of the daty except rush hour.

I think that once traffic gets unbearable people will start to take mass transit more seriously.

I hope that Charlotte is successful with its LRT system, and can be a leader to set an example for Columbia and other cities in SC.

It will be. All of the TOD being constructed at or near light rail stops will ensure that the ridership demographic will be quite different than the typical bus rider. The polarization of mass transit is a peculiar thing.

Apparently, the Richland County Council hasn't totally ruled out a property tax hike as a source of revenue for CMRTA.

If Lexington County doesn't start talking soon, their routes could be cut, according to a recent article in the Free Times. The county was expecting W. Columbia and Cayce to say something, but so far they haven't. Looks as if they're going to be SOL.

Apparently, the Richland County Council hasn't totally ruled out a property tax hike as a source of revenue for CMRTA.

If Lexington County doesn't start talking soon, their routes could be cut, according to a recent article in the Free Times. The county was expecting W. Columbia and Cayce to say something, but so far they haven't. Looks as if they're going to be SOL.

What about bus service to the Airport, as I think that should be a main concern?

Thats a fair move I suppose. I hope that they will come around. If nothing else, Cayce and West Columbia should pitch in.

Is there some kind of deadline that we are approaching?

Yeah, but I forget what it is.

Bus service to the airport SHOULD be a concern. Good point.

I think that it would be appropriate if Cayce, West Columbia, and Springdale got together an split the funding three ways amongst themselves. Lexington wouldn't have to get involved, and the more urban areas of Lexington would still be serviced.

"Although Lexington County Council had considered a property tax increase, the popularity of funding the bus system has been low. Just 13 percent of service is in the county, mostly in West Columbia, Cayce and Springdale."

I think that it would be appropriate if Cayce, West Columbia, and Springdale got together an split the funding three ways amongst themselves. Lexington wouldn't have to get involved, and the more urban areas of Lexington would still be serviced.

"Although Lexington County Council had considered a property tax increase, the popularity of funding the bus system has been low. Just 13 percent of service is in the county, mostly in West Columbia, Cayce and Springdale."

I've been thinking the very same thing. And what's wrong with Forest Acres and Arcadia Lakes pitching in?

Birmingham is currently going threw the same thing also

Yes sir this is true. This has happened 3 times in the last decade. However, recently the Jefferson County Commission increased funding to expand the routes, add 20 buses, and 2 more paratransit buses. Also, there is now a state legislator-led coalition on a mass transit plan on funding and expanding a regional transit system for the Greater Birmingham area.

The State is reporting this morning that Richland County voted yesterday for a $20 increase in vehicle registration fees for individuals and $30 for businesses to fund the bus system. The article said the thinking was to avoid putting it before voters for another tax increase. I think this is a very wise move.

That's is exactly what state legislators from Jefferson County tried to do in Alabama. Guess what happened? It was killed by naysayers in state legisture.

Edited by Leonard23

Hmmm, maybe Columbia should study Birmingham on this issue since there seem to be many parallels between the two areas. Getting a state senator-led mass transit plan doesn't seem to be on the table yet, although I could actually see something like this occurring soon.

Hmmm, maybe Columbia should study Birmingham on this issue since there seem to be many parallels between the two areas. Getting a state senator-led mass transit plan doesn't seem to be on the table yet, although I could actually see something like this occurring soon.

Yeah, it would be in Columbia's best interest to look into this since is currently about 1/2 the size of Greater Birmingham at (1.2 million) right now. We are already starting to explode in growth with our metro projected to hit 1.5 million in 2020 (if not before). We already have major problems with traffic and mass transit and they're only going to get worst.