Best Gym in Charlotte

I actually hate gyms, too many pushy people. I love to run outside but when it gets too hot or too cold and I am stressed and want to work out there is not much choice in the matter. I go to The Dowd YMCA. If I was less of a slacker Jewish guy :lol: I would have joined the Jewish Community Center on Providence which is open to all faiths just like the Y. They have an awesome facility but its about $80 a month and who wants to battle SouthPark traffic on the weeknights if it can be avoided? Became a Dowd member soon after moving here and was lucky enough to register during a discount period. Did not have to pay the $50 reg fee and its only $34 a month. Its a nice enough facility and close to my apt but I only go after 7pm on weekdays. The Dowd lot is a friggin nightmare between 5 and 7 during the week, you can circle the lot forever :w00t: Going later is much less stressful. I guess thats my only issue with the place. Where do you go and what do you like about your gym?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually hate gyms, too many pushy people. I love to run outside but when it gets too hot or too cold and I am stressed and want to work out there is not much choice in the matter. I go to The Dowd YMCA. If I was less of a slacker Jewish guy :lol: I would have joined the Jewish Community Center on Providence which is open to all faiths just like the Y. They have an awesome facility but its about $80 a month and who wants to battle SouthPark traffic on the weeknights if it can be avoided? Became a Dowd member soon after moving here and was lucky enough to register during a discount period. Did not have to pay the $50 reg fee and its only $34 a month. Its a nice enough facility and close to my apt but I only go after 7pm on weekdays. The Dowd lot is a friggin nightmare between 5 and 7 during the week, you can circle the lot forever :w00t: Going later is much less stressful. I guess thats my only issue with the place. Where do you go and what do you like about your gym?

Go to Southend Athletic Club -- probably not good for the owners, but for the most part you can have the place to yourself. Their busiest, after work, is like Dowd when it is closed. Good equipment, good location, and less and I pay $100/month for two of us...

One of the more interesting facilities, and it is state of the art too, is the Huntersville Aquatic's and Fitness Facility that was built and owned by Huntersville. It is open to everyone and provides some world class swimming and diving facilites for people who like water exercises. It also has an outdoor splash and water park and extensive workout equipment.

There was a lot of controversy for a town as small as Huntersville building such a large work out facility, but they did do it and now its there for everyone to enjoy. It's not that far away for anyone living in downtown or northern parts of the city or anyone working in the North.

I have heard nice things about Southend Athletic, Charlotte Native. I have to be thrifty though. As far as partner discounts go, I am single in the city :wub: so it really does not apply to me currently :blush: . $34 a mth is a good deal. I had not heard about the facility in Huntersville, Metro. I will take a drive and check it out.

I have heard nice things about Southend Athletic, Charlotte Native. I have to be thrifty though. As far as partner discounts go, I am single in the city :wub: so it really does not apply to me currently :blush: . $34 a mth is a good deal. I had not heard about the facility in Huntersville, Metro. I will take a drive and check it out.

I should just give you my card considering how much it has been used of late :wub:

I have a membership at Athletic Club South End. I never use the club. I only joined because I like the yoga studio and Budokon (one of the few locations in the country that offer classes). ACSE is an upscale health facility, which is the kind of club I tend to pick. I'd drop my membership in a heartbeat if a branch of V opened in Charlotte. They're located in Charleston, but would be a nice fit for Charlotte. As a side note, the instructors at V just released a set of workout videos that were replicated here in Charlotte. ;)

Speaking of exercise, did you know that Aerobo Cop has a DVD for sale? I was checking fitness videos at DDD and saw his. Ha!

• 3 months later...

I saw a commercial on tv this weekend advertising a gym that doesn't have a registration fee and is only $10 a month but I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me. Did anyone else happen to see anything or know what I'm talking about?? Thanks.

Probably Planet Fitness in Matthews. I worked out there when I was working in Matthews. Its an okay gym, not very crowded but limited in terms of free weights. Definitely worth the $10 if you work or live in Matthews.

Archived