Nashville 8/24-8/27

TheCarolinaKing

Hi. I'll be visiting Nashville August 24-27, 2006. :yahoo: Can anyone suggest some places (clubs, restaurants, malls). sites, or events that I should check out? :unsure: I will only be there for a few days, and I know that is not enough time to take in all the city has to offer, but I would like to get in as much of the really notable things as possible. Thanks! :D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. I'll be visiting Nashville August 24-27, 2006. :yahoo: Can anyone suggest some places (clubs, restaurants, malls). sites, or events that I should check out? :unsure: I will only be there for a few days, and I know that is not enough time to take in all the city has to offer, but I would like to get in as much of the really notable things as possible. Thanks! :D

A few good restaurants:

Parco Cafe

DaVinci's Pizza

Past Perfect

Market Street Brew Pub

The Mirror

Maffiozo's

Rumba

Sambuca

Ellington Place Soda Shop

Loveless Cafe

Clubs (a mix for all tastes):

Beer Cellar

Red Iguana

BB Kings

Coyote Ugly

Wildhorse Saloon

Museums:

Frist Center

Parthenon

Country Music Hall of Fame

Cheekwood Botanical Garden

Tennessee State Museum

Parks:

Grassmere Zoo

Warner Parks

Centennial Park

Shelby Bottom Greenway

Natchez Trace National Parkway (awesome cycling)

Just a sampling. I'll be glad to offer details on any of these that strike your interest. Enjoy your visit.

A few more attractions you may like:

The Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson.

The Tennessee State Capitol

Bicentennial Park

Belle Meade Plantation Home

The Ryman Auditorium

Opryland Hotel

Grayline offers a number of tours and a fun tour is the redneckish Nash Trash tour.

I would suggest you visit the Opryland theme park... but it was destroyed in favor of a MALL!!!!!!

You can still view the remains of the log ride and the old ticket booth if you walk between OpryMills and Opryland Hotel, buth that's about it.

i actually heard from someone that works at opryland hotel that they are moving bass pro shops across the street, letting everybody's leases run out and moving the mall further up briley. apparently they are going to build something that used to be there. a theme park. i really hope this turns out to be more than a rumor.

I luv food!

I still insist on breakfast at the Pancake Pantry, brunch/lunch at Loveless Cafe and diner at Demos' followed by a trip to Mike's Ice Cream Fountain. You will then need to visit the Wildhorse Saloon and dance off the day's conquests....and possibly walk home...to Columbia!

Ellendale's, New Orlean's Manor, and the Stockyard are some upscale restaurants if interested

Oh, and try some Goo-Goo Clusters and be sure to sample some of Tennessee's finest whiskey - Jack Daniels!

You will then need to visit the Wildhorse Saloon and dance off the day's conquests....

Depending on your age... you may visit Silverado's to do the same :whistling:

Once you're good n drunk after the free beers... :blush: .... karaoke in Printer's Alley!

Then of course there's always the lower Broadway music scene. But i'd imagine most people would run across that on their own :shades:

I recommend Bourbon Street Blues Bar in Printers Alley -- it's by far the best club in Nashville for many reasons. Virago has the best sushi. DaVinci's has the best pizza. Alley Cat has good brunch and dinner. Frothy Monkey - best coffee house. If you like to dance, Play attracts a large and diverse clientele on the weekend. Baja Burrito - uh, best burritos. Sitar - best Indian food. All just my opinions.

I recommend Bourbon Street Blues Bar in Printers Alley -- it's by far the best club in Nashville for many reasons. Virago has the best sushi. DaVinci's has the best pizza. Alley Cat has good brunch and dinner. Frothy Monkey - best coffee house. If you like to dance, Play attracts a large and diverse clientele on the weekend. Baja Burrito - uh, best burritos. Sitar - best Indian food. All just my opinions.

Agreed on BSB in the Alley and on DaVinci's, but got to beg to differ on Frothy Monkey. FM is a good scene, the food is great, and the coffee OK, but Portland Brew has, by far, the best joe in town.

Agreed on BSB in the Alley and on DaVinci's, but got to beg to differ on Frothy Monkey. FM is a good scene, the food is great, and the coffee OK, but Portland Brew has, by far, the best joe in town.

We can agree to disagree on that. :) I had a very successful photo exhibit at Frothy Monkey, so I'm a little biased, but as a true coffee snob I do believe they know what they're brewing, so to speak. However the bean roaster/barrista at Portland Brew is a friend of mine, and they do have a fine establishment.

i actually heard from someone that works at opryland hotel that they are moving bass pro shops across the street, letting everybody's leases run out and moving the mall further up briley. apparently they are going to build something that used to be there. a theme park. i really hope this turns out to be more than a rumor.

So THAT'S why they've been working on Briley all these years! The're going to load the mall up on a bunch of big trucks and tote it a few miles up Briley!

I'd put more faith into the DollyWood Nashville rumors than any rumor that involves destroying a 7 year old profitable mall.

Oh, and on the original topic, you HAVE TO take in the Wildhorse. Your friends in Carolina will know what your talking about when you say you visited the Wildhorse. Tell them you went to Silverado's and they'll think we're running bars out of our pickup trucks!

O.K., question to you locals....where is the Frothy Monkey? Good or bad I'd like to try it.

For the original question I would like to suggest The Frist (for art), Love circle (a street name..look on map quest/good view), Printers Alley (whichever bar), Virago's (for Sushi), Centennial Park (for outdoor leisure), SATCo. (for taco's), Ted Rhodes (for golf), Exit/End (for music), and finally, the Opryland Hotel (for something impressive that you wont see anywhere else).

just my suggestions.

I would suggest you visit the Opryland theme park... but it was destroyed in favor of a MALL!!!!!!

You can still view the remains of the log ride and the old ticket booth if you walk between OpryMills and Opryland Hotel, buth that's about it.

rtb, I was just over there the other day (it's actually the remains of the Grizzly River Rampage) and I had a flashback of standing in a very long line, in 95 degree heat, staring at old muskets in glass cases. I immediately broke into a sweat.

I miss that park. :cry:

O.K., question to you locals....where is the Frothy Monkey? Good or bad I'd like to try it.

For the original question I would like to suggest The Frist (for art), Love circle (a street name..look on map quest/good view), Printers Alley (whichever bar), Virago's (for Sushi), Centennial Park (for outdoor leisure), SATCo. (for taco's), Ted Rhodes (for golf), Exit/End (for music), and finally, the Opryland Hotel (for something impressive that you wont see anywhere else).

just my suggestions.

Frothy Monkey is on 12th Ave South, next to the Islamic Center and across from the funeral home and plant nursery. Woohoo.. another Virago fan. I'll take the Godzilla roll, please.

just my suggestions.

Living just off of Printers Alley, I'm glad to see so many folks recommending its bars and restaurants. It seems like my favorite, funky, one-block of New Orleansesque licentiousness has been on the uptick lately.

barakat already responded to your request for directions, but I just wanted to clarify. I by no means meant that the Monkey was bad, I just prefer Portland Brew. The Monkey used to be my standby on Sundays when PB was closed.

As a teen, I worked at Opryland Theme Park during its last years of operation. I have some really good memories from working there. From what I remember, the park's attendance numbers really started to dwindle in its final years of existence.

:D Yeah my first post!!!

As a teen, I worked at Opryland Theme Park during its last years of operation. I have some really good memories from working there. From what I remember, the park's attendance numbers really started to dwindle in its final years of existence.

:D Yeah my first post!!!

Welcome to UP. I frequented Opryland as a youngster (from a baby in '74 clear into the mid to late '80s, before I preferred spending my summer days sitting in front of a computer). I knew there was a bit of a downturn in attendance towards the end, but not so dramatic than it couldn't be turned around. The ghastly decision by Gaylord Executives to close the park literally was deciding to treat an injured finger by jumping off a bridge. I'm not sure the city has fully recovered from its closure (nevermind psychologically, but with tourist taxpayer $$). :(

So THAT'S why they've been working on Briley all these years! The're going to load the mall up on a bunch of big trucks and tote it a few miles up Briley!

I'd put more faith into the DollyWood Nashville rumors than any rumor that involves destroying a 7 year old profitable mall.

i know it sounds wierd, but so did tearing down a themepark to put a mall in it's place. nothing in that area ever really makes sense. while i doubt it'll happen, i wouldn't be suprised if it did.

I am liking all the suggestions. I remember visiting Opryland when I was younger...wasnt my cup of tea though. :blush:

Your food suggestions are making me hungry. Whats one of the best italian food places there; something really nice. Is the sushi place (Virago's) fairly up-scale and what else do they serve besides sushi?

Club wise I'd like to check out some type of famous blues or jazz lounge and a nice night club (dance). My music taste covers a wide range, but when its time to dance i prefer pop, hip hop, and old school music.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to walk around and take some pictures of your city as well.

Oh and are there any upscale shopping locations there? "It's not a trip until you buy something really nice!" :whistling:

I am liking all the suggestions. I remember visiting Opryland when I was younger...wasnt my cup of tea though. :blush:

Your food suggestions are making me hungry. Whats one of the best italian food places there; something really nice. Is the sushi place (Virago's) fairly up-scale and what else do they serve besides sushi?

Club wise I'd like to check out some type of famous blues or jazz lounge and a nice night club (dance). My music taste covers a wide range, but when its time to dance i prefer pop, hip hop, and old school music.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to walk around and take some pictures of your city as well.

Oh and are there any upscale shopping locations there? "It's not a trip until you buy something really nice!" :whistling:

For upscale Italian, you might want to try Mario's or Amerigo. Also, if you like chains, Maggiano's is ok. You can find info for all of these at the Nashville link on Citysearch. Parco's in Printers' Alley, though not an Italian restaurant, has the best tira misu in Nashville.

Blues clubs. The tourists seem to dig BB Kings on 2nd, but if you want funky and cool, your place is Bourbon Street in Printers' Alley.

Not much up on clubs.

For the best picture of downtown, go out on the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge.

Upscale shopping. Green Hills Mall and surrounding area. Also, Spaces out in Bell Meade. Funky and fun shopping. Hillsboro Village and the 12South areas.

I suggest a possible side trip to downtown Franklin (cause it's really beautiful and charming) but that's technically not Nashville and the city has many many fun things to offer (most of which have already been mentioned here.

For upscale Italian, you might want to try Mario's or Amerigo. Also, if you like chains, Maggiano's is ok. You can find info for all of these at the Nashville link on Citysearch. Parco's in Printers' Alley, though not an Italian restaurant, has the best tira misu in Nashville.

Mario's is really the only choice for truly upscale Italian, in my opinion. Amerigo is a chain and is closer to Olive Garden than upscale. Not to say that Amerigo is bad - I actually enjoy eating there - but I don't think it qualifies as "upscale". Sole Mio on Third Ave. or Cafe Nonna in Sylvan Park would also be good choices for quality Italian, without the huge pricetag of Mario's.

Mario's is really the only choice for truly upscale Italian, in my opinion. Amerigo is a chain and is closer to Olive Garden than upscale. Not to say that Amerigo is bad - I actually enjoy eating there - but I don't think it qualifies as "upscale". Sole Mio on Third Ave. or Cafe Nonna in Sylvan Park would also be good choices for quality Italian, without the huge pricetag of Mario's.

How did I forget Sole Mio? Great place. True, Amerigo's is not really "upscale;" I didn't realize it was a chain. If you want to can the whole "upscale" notion, and just want some good Italian food, try Mama Mia's off of Harding Place on Trousdale. Bring your own wine.

Not sure about the blues/jazz... but I had a good time dancing at Decades @ 2nd & Broadway. They play mostly 80's & 90's. Good crowd the time I went.

Archived