School District Boundaries

I was curious if anyone knew how school boundaries are set. I don't know if this has been as big of a problem in Benton County as it has here in Washington County. As many cities grow, spread out and annex new land. But just because a city annexes more land doesn't mean school district boundaries change. I know there are a lot of odd spots around Fayetteville where you may be in the city limits but you're in another school district's boundary. I'm pretty sure part of the NWA Mall is actually in the Springdale school district. Anyway just wondering if anyone had any info on all of this. Do school district boundaries ever change?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fayetteville School District boundary can be found here:

http://www.fayar.net/admin/Elementary_Zones.pdf

Most of the shopping area around the mall is in the Springdale District and therefore any school tax derived from that shopping district belongs to the Springdale District. Not all of the tax goes to Springdale, just the milleage towards the school. The apartments just west of the Mall are in the Fayetteville School District.

Just a little past Joyce Street on North Crossover Road is also within the Springdale School District. Copper Creek and those developments would fall into the Springdale District.

School districts don't change when land is annexed because it would cause too much disruption. There are a lot of feelings wrapped up in a school distirct. Friendships and allegience are the two main ones especially in small town America. A school often identifies a person, how many times have you asked someone , what school did you go to ?

The Fayetteville School District boundary can be found here:

http://www.fayar.net/admin/Elementary_Zones.pdf

Most of the shopping area around the mall is in the Springdale District and therefore any school tax derived from that shopping district belongs to the Springdale District. Not all of the tax goes to Springdale, just the milleage towards the school. The apartments just west of the Mall are in the Fayetteville School District.

Just a little past Joyce Street on North Crossover Road is also within the Springdale School District. Copper Creek and those developments would fall into the Springdale District.

School districts don't change when land is annexed because it would cause too much disruption. There are a lot of feelings wrapped up in a school distirct. Friendships and allegience are the two main ones especially in small town America. A school often identifies a person, how many times have you asked someone , what school did you go to ?

Yeah I've noticed school district boundaries don't change even if that area is annexed into another city. I guess I'm still just trying to figure out how all these boundaries are set up in the first place and are they permanently put in place or do they ever change?

Yeah I've noticed school district boundaries don't change even if that area is annexed into another city. I guess I'm still just trying to figure out how all these boundaries are set up in the first place and are they permanently put in place or do they ever change?

The main school district boundaries don't change but the zones within the district do due to growth.

That is all I know.

That is correct but Lowell doesn't have a school district. Rogers has an elementary school in Lowell and Lowell is within Rogers district.

When the Rogers district was made Lowell was not a factor.

I know Lowell was recently added to Rogers School District.

These boundries can change but you must have both districts agree on the change. That is much easier said than done. This has come up more than once recently. For example the 2000 acres that Fayetteville is going to annex on the city's westside is in the Farmington school district and so is much of western Fayetteville. I think pretty much anywhere west of 51st street along Wedington is in the Farm district. Another example is the Southpass development in SW Fay. Part of the development is in the Greenland district, but the developers want to get it into Fay only. That is causing problems because Greenland does not want to loose the tax dollars.

Another Point. The reason Fayetteville's district enrollment is so much less than Springdale or even Rogers. Large areas of Fayetteville proper are in either Farmington, Greenland, or Springdale's districts. This takes away from the total population that normally would be going to Fayetteville schools. Also our suburbs have schools systems unlike most of S-dales and Rogers. Elkins, Greenland, and Farmington all have very nice school systems (you can pretty much call these cities part of Fayetteville considering more that 50% of the populations work in Fayetteville). They can also be called bedroom communites, people sleep there but come to Fayetteville for work and supplies.

None of Springdale's suburbs have districts. Lowell, Elm Springs, Tontitown, Sonora all come to S-dale for school. (Lowell also goes to Rogers).

I really wish school districts followed city boundies closer or even city planning boundries better.

Archived