The American Sportsman's Heritage Center

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

I wouldn't say the Smithsonian of the outdoors, but definately a great multi-state attraction. Certainly something worth seeing though, I would assume this would be at the current Bass Pro headquarters?

Yep, This dev. was actually going to be finished in 04' but due to legal obligations it was moved back.

"This could become the Smithsonian of the outdoors."

- Late Missouri Governor Mel Carnahan at Wonders of Wildlife Groundbreaking

I'd say calling this the "Smithsonian of the outdoors" would be an understatement. If only Smithsonian had something as big as this dedicated to outdoor conservation and outdoor recreation. I challenge anyone to find anything else that even comes close to this thing. There are plenty of outdoor conservation centers, but none that I know of compare to this. Alas, I'm not surprised that Springfield will be home to this attraction.

I'd say calling this the "Smithsonian of the outdoors" would be an understatement. If only Smithsonian had something as big as this dedicated to outdoor conservation and outdoor recreation. I challenge anyone to find anything else that even comes close to this thing. There are plenty of outdoor conservation centers, but none that I know of compare to this. Alas, I'm not surprised that Springfield will be home to this attraction.

There are many big museums that are centered around wildlife but nothing that I know of includes a Huge mall, national museum, Imax, and learnging center all in one. I can't wait for this to be done. :D

BTW, The Natioanl Fish and Wildlife Museum is actaully affiliated with the Smithsonian Institute.

• 8 months later...

After yet another announcement stating that the IMAX will not be done this spring, I am guessing we won't see one for a while. The reason being, state lawmakers who got funding for the Wonders of Wildlife Museum don't want it to be directly conected to Bass Pro because they think that Johnny Morris (owner of Bass Pro) would benefit too much, and profit from it. Currently they are in negotiations with the state gov. to see what can be done. Hopefully something will come from this.

Archived