Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

distortedlogic

developmental ideas?

15 posts in this topic

I was going to start this thread solely about a certain intersection, but I would like to hear ideas about any/all crucial intersexs in Gville that need development. The one I was thinking about is Univ Ridge and Church. I think btoy posted a rendering of a possible project for the Cameron Barkely site, and I know Zaxby's is opening a restaurant. But what about the rest of it? Across from C&B, there is an old looking auto garage that seems to be closed. This is just before the ramada inn remake, and just past the stadium off of Cleveland ST. And there is plenty of room if front of Cobbs Tire for something, even w/o redoing county offices. I think this is a crucial intersx because the Cleveland area has many very beautiful neighborhoods, it is the gateway to DT from I-185, and a major through-way for hospital goers. I would think these corners would be perfect for some high density mid to low highrise residential development. It is screaming for some new, well designed, progressive projects. It would also provide some of the best views of DT anywhere in Gville! Opinions? Other "crucial intersections"?

The City has already developed a master plan for this entire area, which is linked somewhere on UP. There possibly could be a grocery store and other retail on the corner where Cobb's Tire sits today. Other great developments should take place there as planned. Hopefully this will get underway soon. It is an eyesore until something is built.

Aah, didn't realize it already had a master plan. I'm glad to hear it though. The peices of DT are starting to come together.

I finally found the thread! :D Btoy did the work for us, so he gets the credit. You should find whatever you are looking for there. :shades:

This is the link to the master plan we're refering to above.

The old Auto Body shop is part of almost three or four blocks that Jackson Hughes has undercontract form David stone that one day could be a a McBee station type project with a Bilo.

The intersection of East North St and Academy Streets... The Bilo Center can stay I guess... But coming into downtown, there is a billboard to the right that could give way to something better, I can't place what's on the left, but across left is a red brick building with a WREATH on it. Umm it's summer time!

I'd love to see that neighborhood to the left become residential again... You could renovate and develop and it'd be GREAT! Is this the Pettigru Historic District? I say push all of those law offices into the Central business District! One thing that kind of sucks, is that SCTelco or some company is in the old school over there. that could have been a great residential thing with lofts or condos... oh well.

Couldn't agree more on the law offices! Perhaps a developer can build a building (highrise) to put all the DT attorney's in, and those parcels could be used for other developments.

Also agree about this intersection. It should be something really nice since it is the first intersection after 385 ends. It needs to put Greenville in the face of traveler, with some bold and architecturally unique projects.

This is not an interchange, but a street that I'd like to see developed heavily in the near future. The West End is busting at the seams with construction. Rett Street is in a great location to tap into the market and to really take off as another big street in terms of retail, restaurants, residential, just life in general.

Here is a look at the street as it is going farther into the West End:

217228889_c80e348db6_b.jpg

The street already has a lot of character-- Just from the little that exists there today! The potential is huge since it has connections with Riverplace at its intersection at Camperdown Way. The Shealy site, if we do see development of the site, could play a key role in the street's evolving. When I have time, I'm going to head down there and take shots of a lot of the buildings. Does anyone have any visions for the future of this street or comments?

My first choice would be Laurens Road at Pleasantburg Drive.

Traffic:

That entire area needs a makeover, expecially with the traffic flow. The Laurens Road bridge over Pleasantburg will be up for replacement in a few years. The new one will be longer to accomodate Pleasantburg's 6 lanes from the current 4. Antrim Drive would be turned into northbound and southbound on/off ramps for Pleasantburg Drive

Retail:

I would like to see Pleasantburg Shopping Center (Great Escape, Open Book) overhauled. I would like to see the Bingo parlor in the former Colonial supermarket razed with a couple other stores for a new large supermarket. Add a parking deck and go heavy on some trees and the place will look nice.

Residential:

I would love to see some residences built atop current shops. It would add more to a village feel.

My first choice would be Laurens Road at Pleasantburg Drive.

Traffic:

That entire area needs a makeover, expecially with the traffic flow. The Laurens Road bridge over Pleasantburg will be up for replacement in a few years. The new one will be longer to accomodate Pleasantburg's 6 lanes from the current 4. Antrim Drive would be turned into northbound and southbound on/off ramps for Pleasantburg Drive

Retail:

I would like to see Pleasantburg Shopping Center (Great Escape, Open Book) overhauled. I would like to see the Bingo parlor in the former Colonial supermarket razed with a couple other stores for a new large supermarket. Add a parking deck and go heavy on some trees and the place will look nice.

Residential:

I would love to see some residences built atop current shops. It would add more to a village feel.

I agree 1,000%. That area is horrible and even when McAlister Square was thriving, it was still bad '60s/'70s sprawl that has gotten even worse since the mall died and the check cashing stores sprouted everywhere. I don't get it: the neighborhoods around the mall haven't gone downhill like the commercial area has. How many check cashing places are needed, and what has caused them to spring up? The residential areas haven't suddenly become ghetto.

I think the whole area should be demolished, with grid streets built and then developers could just start over.

I agree 1,000%. That area is horrible and even when McAlister Square was thriving, it was still bad '60s/'70s sprawl that has gotten even worse since the mall died and the check cashing stores sprouted everywhere. I don't get it: the neighborhoods around the mall haven't gone downhill like the commercial area has. How many check cashing places are needed, and what has caused them to spring up? The residential areas haven't suddenly become ghetto.

I think the whole area should be demolished, with grid streets built and then developers could just start over.

Actually Nicholtown is right there behind the Great Escape, Open Book. It didn't decline because it had no room left to decline! Hopefully Nicholtown will become a safer place and a more respected place in the community as it undergoes improvements with "Charleston Place" or whatever the new government housing is that's going up. Poor Charleston has its name on the project... Must be WV's. :rofl:

Take a look at the Nicholtown area from above and you'll see the problem. Connectivity. It's bordered by a busy section of Laurens Road and mostly vacant office buildings to the North and East, to which the area is connected. Yet it's easily within walking distance to Cleveland Park, Greenville Tech, and some very upper-class neighborhoods to the South and West, except that one would have to probably jump fences to get there without going around the long way. If you ask me, this was likely designed this way on purpose. If this area is to be revitalized, a few roads need to be built and the good influence will spread and the property values will surge because of the proximity to some of the nicer - and more useful - parts of Greenville.

Take a look at the Nicholtown area from above and you'll see the problem. Connectivity. It's bordered by a busy section of Laurens Road and mostly vacant office buildings to the North and East, to which the area is connected. Yet it's easily within walking distance to Cleveland Park, Greenville Tech, and some very upper-class neighborhoods to the South and West, except that one would have to probably jump fences to get there without going around the long way. If you ask me, this was likely designed this way on purpose. If this area is to be revitalized, a few roads need to be built and the good influence will spread and the property values will surge because of the proximity to some of the nicer - and more useful - parts of Greenville.

Thats some varied terrain in that area though. The best way to connect to the park system is through wide walking/nature trails (probably paved, since its in town).

Actually Nicholtown is right there behind the Great Escape, Open Book. It didn't decline because it had no room left to decline! Hopefully Nicholtown will become a safer place and a more respected place in the community as it undergoes improvements with "Charleston Place" or whatever the new government housing is that's going up. Poor Charleston has its name on the project... Must be WV's. :rofl:

Right but Nicholtown people (the neighborhood seems OK to me- am I missing something?) shopped at McAlister Square along with the Augusta Road and Parkins Mill crowds 15 years ago, and Nicholtown spill-over traffic didn't support any (maybe 1, but not like now) check cashing stores 15 years ago, and I don't see that there's been a dramatic growth in the low-income population around the area in the past 15 years- so what gives?

There is a similar, although much worse, area in Charlotte: the Eastland Mall area, which has seen an influx of low-income people and an exodus of upper-income people in the last 15 years and so the whole area, including the stores, has gone to pot. Conversely, in Greenville, people who used to shop at McAlister Square now just shop at Haywood or Greenridge, so but the surrounding neighborhoods have remained stable, from what I can tell. The commercial parts of both areas have skidded downhill lately.

I'd think that the Parkins Mill Road crowd would want to step in and help redevelop Pleasantburg Drive. If I hadn't ever spent a lot of time in Greenville and if I were looking for a house, all of those check cashing stores would wrongly scare me off from buying one of those $700,000 houses along Parkins Mill Rd.

With the redevelopment at Greenville Mall, it would nice to see an iMax theater added to the Regal Cinema.