Southpark's Future Skyline?

Ok this maybee 7-10 years off, but I think that maybe Southpark will have it's own skyline. Now it may not look like Buckhead but here are two cities that Southpark may look like. They are both Los Angeles suburbs. Costa Mesa and Glendale. What do you all think?

Glendale:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cityofglendale.jpg

Costa Mesa:http://www.costamesa-ca.com/assets/media/images/cm_skyline.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see it being similar to Costa Mesa's. After being in Buckhead this weekend.. I've got all these ideas in my head of what SP will look like in the future

Yeah your right. Glendale was maybe an over doing it. But then agian I am sure that people in Buckhead 20 years ago never thought Buckhead was going to have a skyline like it does.

Of course the big problem in Southpark is that it only has roads suited to low density residential development, re single family homes on lots. There are no plans to build a major highway to the area, no mass transit plans, and neighborhoods have begun to fight every new development in the area because it is choking in traffic. Because SP doesn't have the transportation options to handle high density, I don't see much more happening and it isn't going to develop a skyline.

It's my guess that if something like that were to develop down there, it's going to happen in Ballentyne.

That's sick. What's the rationale behind this?

I'm sure plans will change and it will become a spur of the South LRT eventually. After all, in most major cities, LRT and subway started with a few short lines and eventually grew into a network. Rome wasn't built in a year.

Well, they have a bus hub at SouthPark (right?), and that will pretty much act like a shuttle between the LRT and SouthPark. In the scheme of things, it isn't that far from LRT, being only 2.5 miles.

I think the idea would be for residential scrapers to go up as those people would mostly be commuting to offices nearby. In that case, the traffic impacts are lower because the area becomes more mixed use.

I'd like to see a little more connectivity in the area, though, to alleviate some thoroughfare traffic. I'd like to see connections like an extension of Selwyn to Tyvola to reduce some of the congestion on the Fairview/Tyvola/Park intersection.

The transit bypassing of SouthPark is due to the transit system using its dollars in areas in which they are most likely to have maximum impact. Putting LRT to SouthPark would be much more expensive than doing it down South Boulevard, and perhaps ridership estimates in SouthPark didn't justify the expense. I'd like to see LRT to SouthPark too and maybe it will happen in the future when/if CATS has the money.

Of course the big problem in Southpark is that it only has roads suited to low density residential development, re single family homes on lots. There are no plans to build a major highway to the area, no mass transit plans, and neighborhoods have begun to fight every new development in the area because it is choking in traffic. Because SP doesn't have the transportation options to handle high density, I don't see much more happening and it isn't going to develop a skyline.

It's my guess that if something like that were to develop down there, it's going to happen in Ballentyne.

Yup. SouthPark isn't near close enough to major highway/freeway/interstate.. but Ballantyne is

There are 2 towers of that height in the works. They are part of a mixed use project called Ballantyne Village.

http://www.ballantynevillage.com

I work almost across the street from Ballantyne Village and I can tell you those two 16-story towers are just a possibility at best. I think they're in a "future phase", or something of that nature was the last I heard. They've built (and are still building) so many townhouses around that Village that I'd be hard pressed to find a 2 spots where they could even fit those towers at this point. I hope they do happen though.

Archived