The paranormal

dimebag1980

Just curious how many believers and how many skeptics there are on this board and why each person believes or disbelieves.

Ghosts - do you believe or disbelieve? Why?

I do believe in "ghosts," which I more often refer to as apparitions. I've had only 1 situation I could consider a personal encounter, although the house I recently bought - which is only 10 years old - leaves me to question what may have been on that land years ago.

The house I grew up in had quite a bit of activity, which my mother first realized the first week our family moved in there some 25 years ago. My mother had walked into one of the rooms to hang some plants when she came face-to-face with a black man (in an all white neighborhood.) Startled by running into someone she didn't know in her own house, she walked into the next room and got my father and grandmother. When she took them in there, no one was there... and there's only one way in and out of that room, which is through the doorway she used to go in and out. No one could have gotten past her.

Over the years, more strange things would happen in that home, though none would be as startling as the first event. There was actually a house down the block from my parents' house that was so full of activity, I'd never seen anyone stay there for longer than a couple years at a time. People would buy the house, live there for a couple of years, and then leave with no real explanation. No one ever came out and said, directly, what caused them to leave. But the fact remains that, to this day, still no one has stayed there longer than a couple of years. One group of women who lived there, as time would reveal, were running an illegal brothel out of that house. That lasted about 1 year and those women moved without ever saying a word to any of the neighbors.

My own personal encounter was at the cemetary at the end of my street, late one Halloween night. I was in there with one of my friends, giving him a real hard time and scaring the hell out of him. That was until I saw something I couldn't explain, hovering over a grave site near a tree and making a very intensely sorrowful sound. Naturally, I ran out of there as fast as I could. He thought I was playing, so he hung out until I wasn't around him and he heard the same strange sound. Next thing I knew, he was right there beside me, saying to me, "Man, what the HELL was that!?" It would be a couple of years before either of us would venture into that cemetary again, but we never did so at night. Ever. I've honestly thought about going back one night to try and relive that day as an adult, but I'm more concerned about the living who lurk the streets around there at night than the non-living who may or may not be resting in peace.

Most of the events that occur in houses around that general area are attributed to the fact that many of the homes were built on land that once housed graves.

Aliens - do you believe or disbelieve? Why?

I believe in the existence of intelligent life outside of our planet and our solar system. I don't really buy into the "greys" or "little green men" theories, but I do believe there are other beings out there either just like us or far more advanced than us. They may even be at a point, technologically speaking, where they can make themselves appear as something else. Who really knows what's out there.

When I was a teenager... about 13 or 14... I actually did see an object in the sky, directly overhead, that I couldn't explain. And as soon as I pointed it out to everyone around me, it had streaked off and literally disappeared before my eyes. Living next to a major Air Force Base most of my life, however, I always had to keep an open mind. One of my friends works as a tester for aircraft concepts, and he's told me that they test some crazy things that the public will never see. Naturally he can't elaborate, but he's mentioned time and time again that some of the things he tests are awesome.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ghosts - do not know, but too many "smart" people I've met have claimed to be non-believers til "one day..."

aliens - we're definately not alone... there was bacteria on a rock from Mars, and I'm sure there is life somewhere out there... maybe here. I did see lights in a circular pattern not too far up higher than my parent's apple tree when I was like 12 at like 2 am. For some reason I thought nothing of it and went back to sleep.

I'm not to sure about beleiving in ghosts, although there are some new scientific theories that could explain and allow for them. (theories about all "matter" actually being energy, basically no such thing as real physical matter.)

As for aliens, I'm positive their out there. There is even a mysterious red bacteria that rained down over in South America or Africa not to long ago that some scientists beleive was seeded there by a meteor or comet. The bacteria has no nucleus and no DNA, scientists say it is nothing like anything known to exist on Earth. The real debate is whether or not intelligent alien life has visited Earth, that is more debatable.

I'm not to sure about beleiving in ghosts, although there are some new scientific theories that could explain and allow for them. (theories about all "matter" actually being energy, basically no such thing as real physical matter.)

As for aliens, I'm positive their out there. There is even a mysterious red bacteria that rained down over in South America or Africa not to long ago that some scientists beleive was seeded there by a meteor or comet. The bacteria has no nucleus and no DNA, scientists say it is nothing like anything known to exist on Earth. The real debate is whether or not intelligent alien life has visited Earth, that is more debatable.

hood...

Just curious, but do you have any sources you could link to on both the energy theory and the story about the strange, out-of-this-world bacteria? Both of those subjects sound like awesome reading, so if you remember where you read about them, please share.

I definately believe in ghosts and have always been really interested in them. I belong to quite a few message boards for ghosts. I don't have any experiences myself but my brother at our old house would see a doppleganger. Sometimes he would wake up and see ghosts of himself and our other brother at the toy chest. Those are definately rare as heck. Can you imagine being a kid and seeing a ghost version of yourself and your brother?!

hood...

Just curious, but do you have any sources you could link to on both the energy theory and the story about the strange, out-of-this-world bacteria? Both of those subjects sound like awesome reading, so if you remember where you read about them, please share.

The bacteria one is a PopSci story: Is It Raining Aliens?

The energy one is something a teacher was talking about a couple years ago, after some googling and looking various sources, it seems that this theory isn't contested. Matter is supposedly regarded as just being highly concentrated energy. I don't know much about physics, but this is way over my head and I can't find any all-inclusive explanations anywhere, let alone in laymens terms. So if anyone can help me out here in explaing this I would appreciate it.

The bacteria one is a PopSci story: Is It Raining Aliens?

The energy one is something a teacher was talking about a couple years ago, after some googling and looking various sources, it seems that this theory isn't contested. Matter is supposedly regarded as just being highly concentrated energy. I don't know much about physics, but this is way over my head and I can't find any all-inclusive explanations anywhere, let alone in laymens terms. So if anyone can help me out here in explaing this I would appreciate it.

Wow, thanks for the help. I'm about to read the story you linked to. :)

There are so many variables I would think it is entirely possible that paranormal/alien activity exists. I'm sure like a lot of people I have experiences that just can't be explained.

My Great Grand mother, god rest her soul, read tea leaves and predicted milestone events such as: my birthday down to the hour of the day, my siblings birthdays all down to the hour, and a whole boat load of just weird dates of milestones in my family.

And the earliest memory of paranormal (which I learned isn't really paranormal anymore) is just good ol' fashion ball lighting. I saw the orb during a tornado storm near my apartment complex where I was living. I was scared crapless by the event of the storm, and at the same time awed by the odd feeling of being powered when the ball was about ten feet away. I just remember the hotness and electical current feeling you get when you recieve a shock by eletricity or touch one of thoes static electricity balls you see in museums.

As far as Aliens go, I grew up on Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell (ah the memories), so I am a believer, even in those underground bases out in NM.

Pittsburgh has some very strange occurances with UFOs, first Kecksburg in 1965 was the Roswell of the east. Very very interesting story on that if you ever get to reading it. Also in the 1950's a B52 bomber lost power on a flight from the westcoast to DC and crash landed in the river just south of downtown, ok nothing major there, lots of plane landings/crashes near Pittsburgh, what is strange is that the piolets saved themselves but the plane, a huge plane, was NEVER found. The Army, and a whos who of federal and state agencies dredged the river for weeks searching for the plane (what were they searching so hard for?) but nothing! The theories are wild on what exactly was on the plane, if it took control of the plane, or if the government did get it back and hide it away for some reason.

The mystery continues . . .

As far as Aliens go, I grew up on Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell (ah the memories), so I am a believer, even in those underground bases out in NM.

Pittsburgh has some very strange occurances with UFOs, first Kecksburg in 1965 was the Roswell of the east. Very very interesting story on that if you ever get to reading it. Also in the 1950's a B52 bomber lost power on a flight from the westcoast to DC and crash landed in the river just south of downtown, ok nothing major there, lots of plane landings/crashes near Pittsburgh, what is strange is that the piolets saved themselves but the plane, a huge plane, was NEVER found. The Army, and a whos who of federal and state agencies dredged the river for weeks searching for the plane (what were they searching so hard for?) but nothing! The theories are wild on what exactly was on the plane, if it took control of the plane, or if the government did get it back and hide it away for some reason.

The mystery continues . . .

Very strange, no doubt. I can vouch for the size of the B52 as I lived just a few miles, and grew up 1 mile from, the largest B52 bomber base in the nation... or as the plane is nicknamed in the Air Force, "Buff" (Big Ugly Fat F-word.) Some of my friends are even B52 mechanics. HUGE war birds, no doubt. For one to just vanish? Unheard of. Wow.

I do believe in ghosts. I was always skeptical until I saw one myself in February 2005. One of my hobbies is urban exploration, which basically amounts to going into abandoned buildings to have a look around and to take photos. Downtown Detroit has a fair number of abandoned buildings, one of which is the David Broderick Tower. The Broderick is a 34-story skyscraper that has been vacant since 1984, and is scheduled to be renovated into loft apartments begining in late August. For years, the only business occupying the building was a bar on the ground floor. Before the bar closed down last summer, it was possible to sign a liability waiver and explore the upper 33 floors, which contain dentist's offices, doctor's offices, and other offices. Many artifacts have been left behind, including old medical equipment, office furniture, and mountains of paperwork. The building doesn't really have power above the fourth floor anymore, so the elevators do not work. Consequently, the only way to get to the roof is to climb 34 flights of stairs.

On this particular afternoon, I had made plans with some friends to go into the Broderick Tower with some friends to take some photos. I made arrangements with the owner of the bar ahead of time. Michigan weather is hard to predict...it was bitterly cold outside, with temperatures struggling to reach 15 degrees, and a blizzard had just passed through. However, the bar's owner had taken time out of his day to let us go upstairs, so we decided to go ahead with our adventure. There were 5 of us total. I had a list of things I wanted to see, so the other four separated from me on about the 5th floor. I took my time, stopping on the 7th, 8th, 9th, and & 10th floors. By this time, daylight was waning fast, and I still wanted to get some shots of the elevator penthouse on the 34th floor. I made the decision to skip several floors and just head up to the 30th floor or so. I began the long climb, hauling camera equipment in one hand, and my trusty maglite in the other. On the 13th floor landing I had a strange feeling come over me. I stopped dead in my tracks, only to look to my left and see the door to the stairwell slam shut all by itself. A foul smelling odor overtook the stairwell, and then the stairwell filled with white mist so thick that I couldn't see. Just as quickly as the incident began, it was over. The mist vaporized in an instant, and the musty abandoned building smell returned. I was a bit shaken, but continued on my way up the stairwell.

I have returned to the Broderick dozens of times since then, but have never had a repeat of that incident. Since that time, I have learned of several others who have had similar incidents in the Broderick Tower.

I was doing security in 15 Westminster St, which was attached to 1 Financial Plaza for the first few weeks I worked there during college. When I would go on tour in 15 W on certain floors I would hear footsteps every time but never see anyone... It has since been renovated into a dorm for Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) students.

I believe in both ghosts and aliens. It is jmo that it is pretty small minded to think that we, humans, are the smartest, most complex things living in all of space. Now ghosts I have had a few experiences with. When I was seven I seen my grandfather standing at the end of the hallway in the house i grew up in. He just stood there for a few seconds and then turned and walked into my parents master suite. I ran down the hall and into my parents bedroom and bathroom looking for him, but he wasn't there. He had been dead for about three years.

Then after my mother died there were a lot of very strange things that happened in that house. One time that stands out in my mind happens to be the only thing that ever happened with several people in the room, well, that I know of anyway. Me and 3 friends were sitting in the living room, and keep in mind that I am kinda OCD about locking doors, and we felt this really strong breeze all of a sudden. I got up and looked around the corner and the kitchen door and the storm door were both standing wide open.

I believe in both ghosts and aliens. It is jmo that it is pretty small minded to think that we, humans, are the smartest, most complex things living in all of space. Now ghosts I have had a few experiences with. When I was seven I seen my grandfather standing at the end of the hallway in the house i grew up in. He just stood there for a few seconds and then turned and walked into my parents master suite. I ran down the hall and into my parents bedroom and bathroom looking for him, but he wasn't there. He had been dead for about three years.

Then after my mother died there were a lot of very strange things that happened in that house. One time that stands out in my mind happens to be the only thing that ever happened with several people in the room, well, that I know of anyway. Me and 3 friends were sitting in the living room, and keep in mind that I am kinda OCD about locking doors, and we felt this really strong breeze all of a sudden. I got up and looked around the corner and the kitchen door and the storm door were both standing wide open.

How interesting that "Damien" would respond to this particular post on 6-6-06, which is also the same date that the remake of The Omen comes out in theaters. A little weird... :)

Just messin with ya, Thanks for sharing your story. Very chilling!

Very strange, no doubt. I can vouch for the size of the B52 as I lived just a few miles, and grew up 1 mile from, the largest B52 bomber base in the nation... or as the plane is nicknamed in the Air Force, "Buff" (Big Ugly Fat F-word.) Some of my friends are even B52 mechanics. HUGE war birds, no doubt. For one to just vanish? Unheard of. Wow.

Oops, my memory jumbled the numbers it was a B25 bomber, Pittsburgh Air Base has the B52 Stratofortresses which is probably how I mixed that up. B25 is no where near as large as the 52 but still a very very big plane to get lost in 150 feet of riverbed a half mile across.

Here is a graphic from the specs on the flight from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

19990403b25maps.JPG

Seems the 25 has these specs:

Specifications

Span: 67 ft. 7 in.

Length: 52 ft. 11 in.

Height: 15 ft. 9 in.

Weight: 28,460 lbs. loaded

Engine: Two Wright R-2600s of 1,700 horsepower each

Also it was a B25 that crashed into the Empire State Building in the 1940s and Doolittles Raiders during WWII carried out their mission in the B25 then ditched them all in the Pacific. Every 20 years or so they attempt to find the plane in the Monongahela River in Pittsburgh only to find nothing.

How interesting that "Damien" would respond to this particular post on 6-6-06, which is also the same date that the remake of The Omen comes out in theaters. A little weird... :)

Just messin with ya, Thanks for sharing your story. Very chilling!

Wow, I didn't catch that when I was posting. It is kinda weird. I can be quite mischevious, but I'm definitely not the son of Satan, LOL

Wow, I didn't catch that when I was posting. It is kinda weird. I can be quite mischevious, but I'm definitely not the son of Satan, LOL

That's funny, Damien! To be quite honest, before I read your post and all I'd seen was your name, I figured it was a joke.

:( I was logged out and it doesn't keep what you posted... I had posted a lot but I'm exhausted now... I may come back...

Ahhhh man that stinks! I've had that happen so many times on other forums and in emails that I've learned over the years, whenever I'm typing something really long, to copy it to the clipboard after each paragraph I type. You never know when something may go awry and you'll lose everything.

I'm sorry you lost your post, but I do hope you're able to get it posted eventually.

If you're from Louisiana, you're required to believe in this stuff. :D

Ummm... I guess!? :lol:

By the way, on a related subject, a statewide ghost hunting group, Louisiana Spirits, investigated the historic Shreveport Municipal Auditorium last week. They were to reveal all their findings to officials of the Auditorium today. I didn't get to hear what they found, but I'll be keeoing up with their website for the updates. I've talked to them via their forum and they did say last week that, as of that point, they had a couple of good EVPs.

Today, on the day that group was to submit their findings, another group called ORION, who has been featured on Sci-Fi's Ghost Hunters, was to investigate the building as well. That's two different groups within one week's time. I can only assume there's been a lot of talk of hauntings in that building as of late. I went there a few weeks ago for a UFC-style fight and the building is awesome, but it didn't come across as creepy in the least. Maybe I need to visit it late at night.

On the early morning news tomorrow morning, one of the local news reporters is supposed to have spent the night with this latest group and will be showing the public what went on. I've got that set to record and I'll hopefully get to watch it tomorrow night. I'm very interested in this particular case.

FYI: the Municipal Auditorium is where Elvis played his first public crowd, and he played there every week after that for years on the Louisiana Hayride. The Hayride was a big-time competitor to the Grand Ole Opry back in its day but the Opry would up winning out.

UPDATE: I just checked their website and they do, in fact, have their Municipal Auditorium information on their site now:

http://www.laspirits.com/auditorium.html

By the way, it's NOT cool that a bunch of baby tree frogs decided to jump and loudly stick themselves to my office window just a few minutes ago as I listened to these ghostly EVPs.

I believe in ghosts but don't know if they actually are ghosts if you get my meaning. I believe people have seen and interacted with things that have been labeled as ghosts for lack of a better word.

I believe in aliens and to be honest find the idea that aliens wouldn't exist to be beyond rediculous. It just seems a given to me.

If you're from Louisiana, you're required to believe in this stuff. :D

I have a book called "The Complete Idiots Guide to Ghosts and Hauntings" (great book that goes really into detail about ESP and things like that along with some of the most famous haunted places). Anyways, I remember it saying that New Orleans is supposed to be the most haunted city in the nation.

I have a book called "The Complete Idiots Guide to Ghosts and Hauntings" (great book that goes really into detail about ESP and things like that along with some of the most famous haunted places). Anyways, I remember it saying that New Orleans is supposed to be the most haunted city in the nation.

Yes, I believe New Orleans is supposedly the most haunted city in the nation, and for very good reasons. For starters, that city is very old and historic and lots of significant things have occurred there over time. Also, that's a city which truly embraces its dead, making death more of a joyous affair by culture.

The Myrtles Plantation, outside of New Orleans, is supposedly the single-most haunted place in America. I still plan to visit The Myrtles someday.

Archived