Crash ID mix-ups, again?!?

Seems like a couple of local families went through all this just last year, or was it '04? There's got to be a dog tag or wristband or something that kids could wear when they are driving with friends. Summer camp underpants with the owner's name Sharpied on the waistband.

[What do you call the pathologist who graduated dead last from medical school?

"Doctor." ]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a couple of local families went through all this just last year, or was it '04? There's got to be a dog tag or wristband or something that kids could wear when they are driving with friends. Summer camp underpants with the owner's name Sharpied on the waistband.

[What do you call the pathologist who graduated dead last from medical school?

"Doctor." ]

It was a couple of years ago - I remember thinking what a tragic event. I can't believe it has happened again. I'm sure that there are valid reasons for mis-identifying (the PARENTS even did it), but I sure can't imagine any situation where I would be unable to identify my child. I feel like I know every mark and scar on his body.

What an awful situation.

It is truly bizarre. The previous mix-up was only for a day or two, but this one lasted for 5 weeks! I don't think the police or coroner can be faulted considering that the parents didn't even figure it out for that long.

Big long article here: http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...0970.xml&coll=6

Wow. Just...wow. My parents buried their youngest child and I can't begin to imagine what these two familes and groups of friends are going through.

In both cases (teenage boys in '04) a paramedic picked up the wrong ID and submitted it with the victim. Next time I take a drive on a freeway I am going to staple my license to myself!

[on various bicycle newsgroups, we discuss having ID for the road; I'd mention the pre-eminient provider of same, but don't want this shut down like the dance class thread]

Big long article here: http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...0970.xml&coll=6

Wow. Just...wow. My parents buried their youngest child and I can't begin to imagine what these two familes and groups of friends are going through.

In both cases (teenage boys in '04) a paramedic picked up the wrong ID and submitted it with the victim. Next time I take a drive on a freeway I am going to staple my license to myself!

[on various bicycle newsgroups, we discuss having ID for the road; I'd mention the pre-eminient provider of same, but don't want this shut down like the dance class thread]

I've done quite a bit of road running, and what I've heard recommended for runners is to take a Sharpie marker and write your name on your running shoes, so if an injury happened, or something else where you were not able to speak, anyone who tried to help would at least know your name. I also carry a cell phone with my husband's and parents' phone numbers indicated as "in case of emergency" numbers.

Both of these families and their friends, I'm sure, have been on an emotional rollercoaster these last couple of days that would be beyond description.

Wow twice, that's crazy. I remember the first one, It was two Forest Hills students. That was back when I managed that Arby's there. I had a couple of kids who took time off because of friends. Geez, This case of switched Identity, was in IN this time, so apparently it happens more than it should.

The article doesn't go into any detail as to the reason for the mistaken identity . . .but I assume there was significant facial damage? Nevertheless, if I was a parent and was the least bit unsure, I'd have a DNA test done to clear it up right away . . . wouldn't you want to know for sure? I can't believe this happened again!

The Indianapolis Star is running a story this morning that a roomate of one of the girls actually raised concerns about correct identity about 2 weeks ago and told the administration at Taylor.

My heart goes out to everyone, and I mean everyone - rescue worker, coroner and families.

The article doesn't go into any detail as to the reason for the mistaken identity . . .but I assume there was significant facial damage?

In their photos, they do look similar. And the survivor was in a coma for several weeks; on the family blog page are mentions of how she was saying things that don't make sense.

Look at what happened with the boys. Grieving parents said, "that's not our kid," but the funeral director told them it was just bruises so he looked different.

Nevertheless, if I was a parent and was the least bit unsure, I'd have a DNA test done to clear it up right away . . . wouldn't you want to know for sure? I can't believe this happened again!

While I can understand the grieving mom not wanting that "last image" of her daughter to be the one stuck in her mind, perhaps a family friend, or someone else with a looser connection, could have looked in the box. As I understand it, DNA takes a while, and remember the one girl was already buried. Dental x-rays can be faxed or overnighted.

I might make a list of all my unique scars and identifying characteristics (knees opened up every summer before I learned to ride no-hands).

Archived