What promotes a sense of community?

Many of us hear stories about block parties from 50 years ago (some newer, some older), about people knowing all of their neighbors, and about the neighborhood kids playing ball in the street. Additionally, TV shows rely on a common theme or element, the established community of neighbors and friends.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over-identification with the almighty workplace is one culprit of a diminished "third place." It's amazing how many people accept co-irkers as default "friends." I could never stomach any former workplace-mates for long, let alone socialize with them.

But I don't think the problem as you posit it is much in evidence around here. In the small coffee shops and cafes in my neighborhood you can see plenty of neighborly interaction. There's a lot to be said for seeing/being seen when it comes to contributing to a sense of belonging to a neighborhood.

Back when I worked in Wayland, all of my co-workers were indeed friends. We were a very tightly knit group of people. The people I worked with there are awesome, and I still frequently stop in to say hi to them.

In Kentwood, my co-workers are merely that -- co-workers. Although, I still do have several #3 places. Every Sunday I hang out at Goldmine Comic & Card, and afterwards we go to either Subway or Craig's Cruiser's. Every other week or so I go to the All-nighters at the Ultimate LAN eXperience. And if we had weekly trance at a club in town, I'd go there, too.

Most of the people I know have a #3 location, although most of the people I _know_ are people I've met at said locations =p

What promotes a sense of community?

hmmmmmmm.......

The sad truth about our society today is that many people are so wrapped up in themselves and their own lives that they don't take the time to truly get to know one another. If only we as a "community" would be willing to take some small steps to interact with one another on a regular basis. One idea would be opening our home and share a home cooked dinner with some friends on a regular basis. Or maybe we could take time to help others out by volunteering time to help, even when it doesn

Goldmine Comics on 54th and Divsion?

That would be the place. Originally went for the card tournaments, ended up becoming the head tournament judge on Sundays. :wacko: But it's worth it.

But living in small town Wayland, I do believe there is that sense of community here.. people do interact with eachother on a daily basis, no matter where they are.

Although what's odd is at the same time, being in a suburban town so far away from anything else, people here in Wayland are also extremely "rush rush rush now now now" and don't have time for much else.. probably because the nearest jobs are a full 15-20 minutes away.. and then we all spend tonnes of money on gas, etc. While one thing I notised last monday whilst walking around downtown GR, is that people there don't seem to be as rushed and more friendly to people they just walk by on the street. That's something Wayland doesn't have. The people are friendly here, but only if there's nothing else to do.. otherwise it's like the white rabbit from alice in wonderland. Downtown GR, I was greeted by at least 4 people during the 2 hours I was walking around.. that was pretty cool, and something I have rarely experience before.

That would be the place. Originally went for the card tournaments, ended up becoming the head tournament judge on Sundays. :wacko: But it's worth it.

But living in small town Wayland, I do believe there is that sense of community here.. people do interact with eachother on a daily basis, no matter where they are.

Although what's odd is at the same time, being in a suburban town so far away from anything else, people here in Wayland are also extremely "rush rush rush now now now" and don't have time for much else.. probably because the nearest jobs are a full 15-20 minutes away.. and then we all spend tonnes of money on gas, etc. While one thing I notised last monday whilst walking around downtown GR, is that people there don't seem to be as rushed and more friendly to people they just walk by on the street. That's something Wayland doesn't have. The people are friendly here, but only if there's nothing else to do.. otherwise it's like the white rabbit from alice in wonderland. Downtown GR, I was greeted by at least 4 people during the 2 hours I was walking around.. that was pretty cool, and something I have rarely experience before.

Wayland is rush rush rush :rofl:

I'm not trying to say Wayland specifically, but all of the suburban areas in general. Everything is wide and open, creating much larger distances between distances. People have to pay more in gas money and have to spend longer traveling because of this. As a result, more time of their day is wasted so a "hurry" state of mind ends up taking control. I notised it begin to happen myself when I was transfered from the Wayland store (5 minute drive from my house, 15 minute bike ride) to the 54th st. store (15-20 minute drive from my house)

When I got out of work at Wayland, I'd casually and slowly make my way back home, and relax.

When I get out of work at 54th st, i rush out of the store, rush home on my 15 minute drive, rush into the house and just throw food into the microwave.

I agree that while things appear busier in dense urban areas, people in suburbs do more in the way of running around. One of the reasons is because in urban areas businesses exist to service the people who live there and are often within walking distance of their base clientele. So it takes less time to get more done in the way of running errands. Suburbs on the other hand, people often have to drive from place to place to get anything.

I also agree that something should be done to improve interaction and that people should be less preoccupied with them selves. I think that events such as block parties and similar social gatherings that are based on location instead of a generalized common interest such as work would be a phenomenal first step towards improving the sense of community.

Once I do get all moved in to the condo, I am going to see about setting up or planning an event so that residents will have the opportunity to meet each other. I figure it should not be too difficult since everyone in the building will be new.

Do you know your neighbors all that well?

I also agree that something should be done to improve interaction and that people should be less preoccupied with them selves. I think that events such as block parties and similar social gatherings that are based on location instead of a generalized common interest such as work would be a phenomenal first step towards improving the sense of community.

Once I do get all moved in to the condo, I am going to see about setting up or planning an event so that residents will have the opportunity to meet each other. I figure it should not be too difficult since everyone in the building will be new.

Do you know your neighbors all that well?

I totally agree that block parties or gatherings based on location versus work are a great tool for creating a sense of community. I would love to hear about the types of events you would be planning at your condos. I am moving into UnionSquare and would like to do something to get to know others.

I totally agree that block parties or gatherings based on location versus work are a great tool for creating a sense of community. I would love to hear about the types of events you would be planning at your condos. I am moving into UnionSquare and would like to do something to get to know others.

After most of the people move in, I am going to see if the condo association or developer would sponsor a cook out on the front lawn or on the roof top deck. It is something simple, yet with a large concentration of people, it is a great change for people to do something as simple as walk up to someone and introduce them selves to new people. Additionally, for something like this it is voluntary if they wanted to attend, in close proximity to everyone, and is a great chance for the residents to see the views from the top of the building.

I would primarily rely on mailings and word of mouth advertising. I would also check with the developer to find out when the condo association is going to be formed, and encourage them to create a news letter for each of the residents, and possibly advertise in that as well.

Archived