2006 Louisiana Hurricane Season

NCB

Sorry guys I wanted to keep this thread at the bottom of the list; but their is a Tropical Depression # 2 now 220 SSE of Cape Hatteras NC. No threat for the Gulf Region, but still worth a mention. The winds are only 35mph, and the circulation is small. It could become Tropical Storm Beryl ? soon, but should remain weak with dry-air to the west of the system. It is developming in the Gulf Stream(warmer water in Atlantic). The low is expected side swipe the Outer Banks, but remain over water, and head out to sea. A T.S. Watch in now in effect for Hatteras to Cape Lookout.

I thought they didn't re-use names? Beryl was used a few years back...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The names get re-used every seven years. Only the names that are retired because of major destruction cannot be re-used. ex: Andrew, Ivan, Katrina, Hugo, etc. So there never has been a bad enough Beryl yet.

Beryl was just named at 5:00; winds are 45 mph. It's a weak little sucker.

The names get re-used every seven years. Only the names that are retired because of major destruction cannot be re-used. ex: Andrew, Ivan, Katrina, Hugo, etc. So there never has been a bad enough Beryl yet.

Beryl was just named at 5:00; winds are 45 mph. It's a weak little sucker.

Wow, it's been 7 years since Beryl?

Thanks, Richy, I had no idea.

You ever thought about meteorology? :D

Wow, it's been 7 years since Beryl?

Thanks, Richy, I had no idea.

You ever thought about meteorology

You are welcome, yeah time flies.

Some people have told me I should have been a meteorologist, but now I am a Translator/Interpreter for the Hearing Impaired. That's my calling, but would not mind being a part-timer in a few different gigs.

You are welcome, yeah time flies.

Some people have told me I should have been a meteorologist, but now I am a Translator/Interpreter for the Hearing Impaired. That's my calling, but would not mind being a part-timer in a few different gigs.

Wow, Richy, had you not said that I'd have had no idea. A sign language translator. THAT is a very cool thing, man. One of my best friends is deaf... and he's an architect these days.

Wow, Richy, had you not said that I'd have had no idea. A sign language translator. THAT is a very cool thing, man. One of my best friends is deaf... and he's an architect these days.

Thanks, I enjoy it. It's rewarding for sure. I love Deaf people. At the age of 7 I met my first Deaf who ended up being my best friend growing up. Over the years I ended up meeting more and more Deaf/Hearing Impaired. The last two softball seasons I playing on a team with a mix of hearing and Deaf.

That's really COOL Brian ! Do you know some sign-language ? Did your friend go to public school or the La. School for the Deaf ? I am glad to see he's enjoying a successful career in architecture.

I was one of the last to reply to the tread that was started a few months ago "When did you fall in love with your city". I don't remember mentioning my (career)work or not, but I said another reason I enjoy my city is bec. the Deaf School is located here in BR.

I know Richy did a great job of explainging this already, but I just wanted to also add that most of the time the same names are used together again in the same years. For example, if one name that was used in 1997 is used again in 2007, chances are there are multiple other names being used from 1997 in 2007 as well. Many of the names used in last years hurricane season were scheduled to be used again in 2011, and "Katrina" was on that list. But becauase that name was retired, we will have "Katina" instead.

But becauase that name was retired, we will have "Katina" instead.

Your kiddin'...right ? Katina ? That's too close to Katrina. Can't they find another name better than that ? Have these names been used ? Kacey ? Karla(Carla retired ?) Kathy, Katie, Kaylee, Kayla, Katlyn, Kelly, Karen.... Hey Slidell WX you there ? Please call NHC in Coral Gables and tell them about this Katina foolishness. Have them change that ! Thanks, sorry.

Thanks, I enjoy it. It's rewarding for sure. I love Deaf people. At the age of 7 I met my first Deaf who ended up being my best friend growing up. Over the years I ended up meeting more and more Deaf/Hearing Impaired. The last two softball seasons I playing on a team with a mix of hearing and Deaf.

That's really COOL Brian ! Do you know some sign-language ? Did your friend go to public school or the La. School for the Deaf ? I am glad to see he's enjoying a successful career in architecture.

I was one of the last to reply to the tread that was started a few months ago "When did you fall in love with your city". I don't remember mentioning my (career)work or not, but I said another reason I enjoy my city is bec. the Deaf School is located here in BR.

I actually don't know any sign language, because for him I never needed it. He and I didn't know one another when we were young, but I knew OF him. He was one of only a handful of deaf kids in school (Bossier Parish public schools) and was always being signed to by the school translators. These days, he hears decently thanks to modern technology and he communicates extremely well by mouth. He talks different from most people, but he speaks clearly.

It's really rewarding, what you do, I'm sure.

Ok guys, looks like I screwed up. I had heard that we would have "Katina" in 2011 rather than "Katrina" somewhere, I believe it was on 870, but after looking around on the internet, it looks like we will have "Katia" instead. Still too close to Katrina if you ask me.

Also, in 2011 instead of using the name "Rita" again, we will have "Rina". Now is that even a name?

To give you an idea of how the names rotate, look at these two lists:

2005 Hurricane Names

Arlene

Bret

Cindy

Dennis

Emily

Franklin

Gert

Harvey

Irene

Jose

Katrina

Lee

Maria

Nate

Ophelia

Philippe

Rita

Stan

Tammy

Vince

Wilma

2011 Hurricane Names

Arlene

Bret

Cindy

Don

Emily

Franklin

Gert

Harvey

Irene

Jose

Katia

Lee

Maria

Nate

Ophelia

Philippe

Rina

Sean

Tammy

Vince

Whitney

To give you an idea of how the names rotate, look at these two lists:

2005 Hurricane Names

Arlene

Bret

Cindy

Dennis

Emily

Franklin

Gert

Harvey

Irene

Jose

Katrina

Lee

Maria

Nate

Ophelia

Philippe

Rita

Stan

Tammy

Vince

Wilma

2011 Hurricane Names

Arlene

Bret

Cindy

Don

Emily

Franklin

Gert

Harvey

Irene

Jose

Katia

Lee

Maria

Nate

Ophelia

Philippe

Rina

Sean

Tammy

Vince

Whitney

Yikes... very eerie similarities.

Yikes... very eerie similarities.

You bet. I mean I could care less about re-using "Franklin" again, but it's the "Katia's" and "Rina's" that get to you. I mean you think that for storms that bad, they could at least come up with a name that starts with that specific letter that isn't almost exactly the same. Instead of changing Katrina to Katia, change it to Kevin or something. Anything. :huh:

You bet. I mean I could care less about re-using "Franklin" again, but it's the "Katia's" and "Rina's" that get to you. I mean you think that for storms that bad, they could at least come up with a name that starts with that specific letter that isn't almost exactly the same. Instead of changing Katrina to Katia, change it to Kevin or something. Anything. :huh:

No doubt. I'd even let 'em call it Kbrian. I'm cool wit that, homie.

Funny. I'll seriously call the NHC myself and request name changes to the naming panel. Who are the idiots that came up with Katia or Rina ?

I'm no naming expert. But what exactly are the qualifications? I know some letters are harder to find names for. Beryl....is that even a name ? No one will claim it ! Rina...what about Rochelle or Roxanne or Rhonda ???

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded to TS Chris tonight. I'm not concerned about this system. It will either get destroyed by the upper low over the Bahamas or it will go into the Carribean and get torn up by the islands. Even if it did manage to hang on after going through the islands...we have a very strong blocking ridge centered over us. Any movement would be westward into Mexico or Central America if it does not get steered toward the weakness created by the low in the Bahamas.

I hope this strong ridging remains over the area...as it will keep us safe from storms. It also makes the Midwest cook...but they can handle it.

Archived