Above Houston

Greens!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry...but I think Houston is an ugly city with minor historical charm. The photos you post are nice, but there really is no allure. The silhouette is cool. The buildings are boxy, bland, and un-inspiring. It does nothing for me as an urban center.....It is definitely on my worst cities list...and yes...I've been there a few times for business. :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

Aw, Houston is a very beautiful city (Pennzoil Tower), with lots of charm. To me it is the most modern of our skyscraper cities. Sure it has very little historical charm but it is a breath of fresh air to someone from the NE and MW with history all around.

The old art deco tower was actually the first "skyscraper" in the south I believe, it was built by the Gulf Oil Corporation back in the 30's by the Mellon Boys (both concerns headquared in Pittsburgh). You are welcomed Houston ;).

The old art deco tower was actually the first "skyscraper" in the south I believe, it was built by the Gulf Oil Corporation back in the 30's by the Mellon Boys (both concerns headquared in Pittsburgh). You are welcomed Houston ;).

I don't think it was the first skyscraper in the South, but it was definately one of the first major skyscrapers in the South. Cities like New Orleans, Birmingham, Memphis, and Richmond all had multiple 250-350+ foot skyscrapers by the early 1920's. Though I must say I really like the JPMorgan Chase Building(what it's called now) and I've always thought it was cool how it stood right in the middle of all of those much larger and more modern towers. :thumbsup:

Houston has one of the most beautiful skylines of any city in the US. I think the architects must have really studied the effect of the building's placement on the skyline before they built, because the view of downtown Houston from the north is unmatched. NYC and Chicago only improve on shear numbers. The balance of mass and balance of color of the skyline couldn't be better.

Houston as a city has some great urban neighborhoods - such as Midtown, Montrose, and the Galleria. The improvements the city is making to its mass transit system will hopefully bring additional density to these areas. I don't live there, but I love to go there!

I'm sorry...but I think Houston is an ugly city with minor historical charm. The photos you post are nice, but there really is no allure. The silhouette is cool. The buildings are boxy, bland, and un-inspiring. It does nothing for me as an urban center.....It is definitely on my worst cities list...and yes...I've been there a few times for business. :sick:

I understand this is your opinion (and what an opinion it is,) but I've honestly never before heard anyone accuse Houston as being ugly. This is definitely a first. That said, I think the city is beautiful and mighty.

We have some old buildings. Downtown Houston is not exactly devoid of good architecture. In my opinion there are some gems there. They are just hidden behind all the newer and taller buildings.

Some examples from my collection:

pikes131.jpg

pikes111.jpg

pikes117.jpg

pikes123.jpg

pikes087.jpg

pikes137.jpg

pikes130.jpg

pikes126.jpg

pikes115.jpg

Though I must say I really like the JPMorgan Chase Building(what it's called now) and I've always thought it was cool how it stood right in the middle of all of those much larger and more modern towers. :thumbsup:

I found a pic of the tower (the tallest in Texas for a number of decades?) with its original HUGE "Gulf Oil" Logo up top. Those Mellon boys of Pittsburgh really knew how to hoist a corporate logo :thumbsup:

(It is framed in glass so there is quite a reflection to it)

MVC-013S.JPG

Archived