Springfield Suburbs

OZARK:

If a preliminary plan for a blighted neighborhood in Ozark is any indication, at least 10 families could lose their homes on property that mostly would be turned into parking lots for proposed office and retail use.

Jerry and Bo Hagerman, hired to plan for the 47-acre Finley River neighborhood near downtown Ozark, revealed their first draft Thursday evening, calling for street-front offices and shops along Third Street, with parking lots immediately behind.

OzarkDowntown.jpg

In return, the city would reap tax benefits from the development, he said, noting the plan incorporates 80,000 square feet of retail space, 25,000 square feet of office as well as more than 400 parking spaces to support the businesses.

The draft plan suggests that density goes down gradually to townhouses and then to single-family homes toward the west. The plan also has greenspace along the Finley River and a drainage ditch in the neighborhood.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OZARK:

If a preliminary plan for a blighted neighborhood in Ozark is any indication, at least 10 families could lose their homes on property that mostly would be turned into parking lots for proposed office and retail use.

That is a beautiful drawing. I'd love to see some renders of this development. As for people losing their homes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. That should be what community is about and this development sounds like it will definitely help everyone in the community.

That is a beautiful drawing. I'd love to see some renders of this development. As for people losing their homes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. That should be what community is about and this development sounds like it will definitely help everyone in the community.

Couldn't agree more.....If your in a trailor home in a downtown then you should expect to get the boot. The Springfield area is hearing more and more, but not too much, about eminent domain. If and when you get the chance to come up here you should check out some of these suburbs, they are some of the best places to raise a family.

• 3 weeks later...

OZARK

Posting full articles is against the rules. Comments + a link are acceptable. -Spartan

It was not a "full" article it was an exerpt from the full artice. I just didn't post the link. Please put it back up.

Thank You. :D

It was not a "full" article it was an exerpt from the full artice. I just didn't post the link. Please put it back up.

Thank You. :D

It doesn't matter, you can't post part of an article without any mention towards the the source and without any comment.

Staff

QUES

What a section 8?

Section 8 is a federally funded housing program for very low income people and disabled people to find adequate housing anywhere they choose to live. Basically, a landlord will rent someone with a Section 8 voucher an apartment for a percentage of that persons income and the government will pay the difference based on fair market value. You would think there would be a lot more Section 8 programs in NWA and Springfield, but it's very hard to find Section 8 housing outside of major urban areas.

Section 8 @ Wikipedia.com

My mom and my brother are both in Section 8 housing in St. Petersburg, FL. The building they live in was sold to a developer to create upscale condos so now my brother has to find somewhere else to live. He can pretty much choose anywhere in the US to live and he's decided he'd like to move to NWA. The only problem is that NWA doesn't have any available Section 8 housing and there is a waiting list of thousands of people in NWA looking for Section 8 housing. I figured with Springfield having a larger population and a large percentage of low-income people living there surely there's more than enough Section 8 housing.

Section 8 is a federally funded housing program for very low income people and disabled people to find adequate housing anywhere they choose to live. Basically, a landlord will rent someone with a Section 8 voucher an apartment for a percentage of that persons income and the government will pay the difference based on fair market value. You would think there would be a lot more Section 8 programs in NWA and Springfield, but it's very hard to find Section 8 housing outside of major urban areas.

Section 8 @ Wikipedia.com

My mom and my brother are both in Section 8 housing in St. Petersburg, FL. The building they live in was sold to a developer to create upscale condos so now my brother has to find somewhere else to live. He can pretty much choose anywhere in the US to live and he's decided he'd like to move to NWA. The only problem is that NWA doesn't have any available Section 8 housing and there is a waiting list of thousands of people in NWA looking for Section 8 housing. I figured with Springfield having a larger population and a large percentage of low-income people living there surely there's more than enough Section 8 housing.

That would be a great alternative but I doubt the city of Ozark would even try that alternative let alone if they've ever heard of Sec. 8. I have a feeling the city is going to get alot of smack about the whole issuse so they will have to come up with something.

That would be a great alternative but I doubt the city of Ozark would even try that alternative let alone if they've ever heard of Sec. 8. I have a feeling the city is going to get alot of smack about the whole issuse so they will have to come up with something.

Yeah, well how dare poor people try and live within our town when we want it to be a beautiful place without poor people. Those poor people should just go somewhere else and not get in the way of progress. That seems to be the sentiment of modern day America. But hey it's all in the name of progress. But what is "progress"? Is it building a beautiful place where wealthy people can live, work and play or is it building economic security for everyone in the community. I guess I'd rather live in a plain looking city where everyone is treated fairly than a beautiful city where you're judged by how shiny your credit card is. How fat your wallet is used to be the saying, but now only drug dealers and loan sharks have fat wallets. :D

Yeah, well how dare poor people try and live within our town when we want it to be a beautiful place without poor people. Those poor people should just go somewhere else and not get in the way of progress. That seems to be the sentiment of modern day America. But hey it's all in the name of progress. But what is "progress"? Is it building a beautiful place where wealthy people can live, work and play or is it building economic security for everyone in the community. I guess I'd rather live in a plain looking city where everyone is treated fairly than a beautiful city where you're judged by how shiny your credit card is. How fat your wallet is used to be the saying, but now only drug dealers and loan sharks have fat wallets. :D

^ that pretty much sum's up the American Life. Although this plan for Ozark is actually better than most in the way that they will have affordable housing in the mix of it all. I also like how 1/3 of the plan incorporates green space.

• 1 month later...

I've heard that an Ozark downtown revitalization project is about to take another step in the right direction. The city is moving to beautify the second half of the square with new sidewalks, trees and street lamps.

As well, a property owner on the square has announced his plan to restore a 100-year-old building and bring upscale restaurants to Ozark. The owners of the a three-story building on the square's north side, are planning to restore the 100-year-old structure, including adding an elevator.

A Mexican restaurant is already on the ground floor. I've heard that a Japanese steak house,a sushi bar on the second floor along with a northern Italian restaurant and a sky bar on the third floor are going to be built.

I've heard that an Ozark downtown revitalization project is about to take another step in the right direction. The city is moving to beautify the second half of the square with new sidewalks, trees and street lamps.

As well, a property owner on the square has announced his plan to restore a 100-year-old building and bring upscale restaurants to Ozark. The owners of the a three-story building on the square's north side, are planning to restore the 100-year-old structure, including adding an elevator.

A Mexican restaurant is already on the ground floor. I've heard that a Japanese steak house,a sushi bar on the second floor along with a northern Italian restaurant and a sky bar on the third floor are going to be built.

I think they actually are almost finished with the second half. The first part they did looks beautifull, the flowers were especially gorgeous. I would say that my favorite part of the square is the old courthouse in the middle of the square. I wish I had a photo to show because it looks so different.

Archived