Swepco Building New Power Plants

Mith242

Looks like Swepco will be building three new plants in the next five years. One of which will be arounf the Arsenal Hill area of Shreveport. Sounds like they might already have one there. Maybe someone from the area can confirm this. It will be a natural gas powered plant which is a bit unusual because Swepco has almost all coal fueled plants. I guess I didn't realize it until today but it looks like Swepco is based out of Shreveport. A second plant is being placed in my metro here in northwest Arkansas which will also be natural gas powered. A third will be located either in Hallsville Texas or Texarkana. Not sure which side is being considered.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Swepco will be building three new plants in the next five years. One of which will be arounf the Arsenal Hill area of Shreveport. Sounds like they might already have one there. Maybe someone from the area can confirm this. It will be a natural gas powered plant which is a bit unusual because Swepco has almost all coal fueled plants. I guess I didn't realize it until today but it looks like Swepco is based out of Shreveport. A second plant is being placed in my metro here in northwest Arkansas which will also be natural gas powered. A third will be located either in Hallsville Texas or Texarkana. Not sure which side is being considered.

Yes, Swepco has an existing plant called Arsenal Hill. That's the company's home base... it's a huge plant and it's just outside of downtown. Now that I think about it, due to its really old, historic look, it would probably make for a cool photo. I may have to get that shot sometime soon.

I also know that some power company is trying to buy 150+ acres in the Blanchard/Longwood/State Line area just outside of Shreveport.

Thanks for posting this, Rod.

Yes, Swepco has an existing plant called Arsenal Hill. That's the company's home base... it's a huge plant and it's just outside of downtown. Now that I think about it, due to its really old, historic look, it would probably make for a cool photo. I may have to get that shot sometime soon.

I also know that some power company is trying to buy 150+ acres in the Blanchard/Longwood/State Line area just outside of Shreveport.

Thanks for posting this, Rod.

I just thought it was interesting that here's yet another link between our two areas. The new poerplant up here was big in the news yesterday.

I just thought it was interesting that here's yet another link between our two areas. The new poerplant up here was big in the news yesterday.

No doubt. I didn't realize you guys had Swepco that far north, to be honest. I know they have it in Texarkana because I lived there for a while, but I didn't realize how far north it stretched.

No doubt. I didn't realize you guys had Swepco that far north, to be honest. I know they have it in Texarkana because I lived there for a while, but I didn't realize how far north it stretched.

Yeah Swepco isn't the only electricity provider but it's the biggest up here. I wonder how much of western Arkansas Swepco covers. I had thought Ft Smith not too far south of NWA had a different electrivity provider. I think all the rest of the state outside a few western regions is Entergy.

Archived