Whats your NBC Affiliate?

Jerseyman4

I typed in Laurinburg (scotland county) and St Pauls in northern Robeson county and while i am aware that it is part of the Florence-Myrtle Beach (SC) market, you would think WECT would be the market to serve "southeast" North Carolina.

No, it carrys WIS from Columbia, SC! Can this get any backwards? WECT's transmitter is in Bladen County which is due east of Scotland and Robeson counties. From experience, news/sports/weather is well covered in those two counties from WECT while WIS, well.. does that station even know they get viewers out there? The cable lineups of Scotland and Robeson do not carry WIS at all! Something isnt right :rofl:

According to AntennaWeb

From Laurinburg general area for AIR MILES

WIS - 87 miles.

WLTX Dopplar should suffice

Rest of teh Columbia stations are 100 miles or greater. WIS's transmitter is 15-20 miles northeast of Columbia.

WECT - 61 miles

WNCN (Raleigh NBC) - 80 miles

From St Pauls AIR MILES

WIS - 130 miles (thx Cantnot)

WECT - 31 miles

WNCN - 65 miles

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also worth noting:

In Scotland/Robeson- Cable carries only one NBC station - WECT from Wilmington, although they do carry WRAL and WTVD from Raleigh/Durham.. and the other stations in their own Florence-Myr Beach-Lumberton market.

In Aberdeen (Moore County) TimeWarner gives us WECT (Wilmington) and WNCN (Raleigh), DishTV give me just WNCN. When I lived in Hope Mills (Cumberland County) it was the same thing.

We perfer to watch WECT over WNCN.

I live near Asheville and despise the fact that our TV market includes Greenville-Spartanburg. I'm hoping that one day Asheville will be large enough to support more than one broadcast station (WLOS) because I'm not really interested in what is going on in Spartanburg. We also receive WBTV from Charlotte, but the rest are from the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville market.

We perfer to watch WECT over WNCN.

Before WNCN was WRDC NBC 28. Even then, most people in the sandhills were inclined of watching WECT for NBC programming since it always remained on Ch 6 for TWC-Southern Pines. Ive always thought the beach weather forecasts drew most viewers in the area watching the Wilmington news. WFMY was a favorite for many people in teh area watching Andy Griffith at 5:30 then the 6pm news.

TWC used to carry most Greensboro stations up until 1995. I cant confirm this but up until the late 80s, i believe WBTW out of Florence and WSOC out of Charlotte may have been on the cable line up at one time.

Ive always thought the beach weather forecasts drew most viewers in the area watching the Wilmington news.

That is exactly why we watch it.

I find it funny that the NBC station in Raleigh is considered the worst. Where I'm from I feel its the best for local news and weather.

I was suprised when visiting family in Mars Hill (near Asheville) that all of their stations except one were from Spartanburg/Greenville. I always forget that Asheville feels so much bigger than it actually is. I guess that the mountains help control sprawl, and give it a more dense feeling than a city its size would other wise have. If I remember correctly, Cleveland, TN and Asheville, NC are about the same size.

That is exactly why we watch it.

I find it funny that the NBC station in Raleigh is considered the worst. Where I'm from I feel its the best for local news and weather.

I was suprised when visiting family in Mars Hill (near Asheville) that all of their stations except one were from Spartanburg/Greenville. I always forget that Asheville feels so much bigger than it actually is. I guess that the mountains help control sprawl, and give it a more dense feeling than a city its size would other wise have. If I remember correctly, Cleveland, TN and Asheville, NC are about the same size.

How? NBC Raleigh is horrible! WRAL and WTVD rule in a landslide. Everything about NBC 17 is cheesy, fake, and especially their weather and broadcast crew.

There was a vote in the Triangle forum...but I can't find it. It voted on the best news channels in Raleigh. NBC 17 might have got one vote...thats all.

How? NBC Raleigh is horrible! WRAL and WTVD rule in a landslide. Everything about NBC 17 is cheesy, fake, and especially their weather and broadcast crew.

Filth is referring to WECT, the Wilmington NBC affiliate as he acknowledges that NBC 17 sucks! I think Bill Gaines and maybe Sharon Delany should go to a better station. Gaines is the only real good anchor WNCN has.

I'm able to pick up WECT in Myrtle Beach as well as another SC NBC affiliate. Another weird thing is is at my cousin's condo in North Myrtle Beach, I'm able to get 2 PBS's. UNC-TV and South Carolina's PBS.

I remember you could get three NBC stations from a different city in Pawleys Island (south of MB) on cable

WECT

WIS

WCBD

I'm able to pick up WECT in Myrtle Beach as well as another SC NBC affiliate. Another weird thing is is at my cousin's condo in North Myrtle Beach, I'm able to get 2 PBS's. UNC-TV and South Carolina's PBS.

There is nothing weird about that. Most states set up a PBS network to cover all or most of their citizens, so you usually have overlap along state lines. Chattanooga, TN gets 2 PBS stations one is TN and the other is Georgia. The same thing happens at Hilton Head Island, SC

Chattanooga, TN gets 2 PBS stations one is TN and the other is Georgia. The same thing happens at Hilton Head Island, SC

Ditto for Charlotte, except that we get three: UNC TV, SC ETV, and a local "independent" PBS station, WTVI.

In San Francisco, we had four, none of which was affiliated with a state network, and one of which actually broadcast no children's programming at all. That was a nice change of pace.

Archived