PROPOSED: Vista Della Torre

This parcel has been rumored for some time, the area beside Dominca Manor and Broadway (not sure why it's been being called the Atwells Parcel, come to think of it). I'm hoping to gather some more information and perhaps renderings this weekend or next week. 299foot, residential, yes the space is zoned for 45feet.

A map of the approximate location, ignore the 55 Broadway, it's an old map.

v21-PowerBlockAtwellsSite.jpg

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing that there was a proposal that was about the same height as the Dominica Manor shot down for being too tall, I don't see this proposal getting very far.

Never count this out .... Belmonte Castillo sailed through...

I can't imagine that an investment of this size would be totally shot down - this could be significant.

Maybe if this is built, they could deck over route 95 and make some green space between it and Hilton/Regency (that one 'hole" between Atwells and Broadway). They could call it Cianci Park!

...really though, the park would be nice and in a great location.

I can't imagine that an investment of this size would be totally shot down - this could be significant.

Maybe if this is built, they could deck over route 95 and make some green space between it and Hilton/Regency (that one 'hole" between Atwells and Broadway). They could call it Cianci Park!

...really though, the park would be nice and in a great location.

I would love for them to deck over the highway and put something in there. In response to those who think it may create a barrier by being "too big a park", I don't buy this. Why is Boston going to put in parks instead of medium density buildings or parking where the central artery is? Those condos would probably benefit from the views created by decking over the highway from Westminster to Atwells and the proximity to the open space...

I'm more concerned about the developer having a change of heart, or scaling down the proposal than the city shooting it down for being too big. It fits the idea of growing the core of the city, something that everyone in town seemed to be in favor of when Buddy was talking up his "new cities" plan.

I would love for them to deck over the highway and put something in there. In response to those who think it may create a barrier by being "too big a park", I don't buy this. Why is Boston going to put in parks instead of medium density buildings or parking where the central artery is? Those condos would probably benefit from the views created by decking over the highway from Westminster to Atwells and the proximity to the open space...

I'm more concerned about the developer having a change of heart, or scaling down the proposal than the city shooting it down for being too big. It fits the idea of growing the core of the city, something that everyone in town seemed to be in favor of when Buddy was talking up his "new cities" plan.

right, and with Dominica, the Regency, and this proposal all being residential, what better section to start the new cities plan. Being so close to the hill can add to the 'festive' feel to that area - and during the summer would be great place for social or cultural events...

We discussed decking the highway in three places last night at the Cathedral Square lab, between Washington and Westminster, between Broad Street and Pine Street, and between Atwells and Broadway. These are the smallest gaps and would be the most affordable.

An open space can ideed be a barrier, the reason Boston will have so much open space in the Greenway is because building above the tunnel is extremely expensive, though quite a number of parcels will be developed to reduce the gap that is created by the greenway. We could build over 95 in Providence, but with so much land available as surface parking, the demand for space does not make the cost of developing air rights feesible.

I think the spaces that could be decked over the highway are just small enough, I wouldn't advocate trying to make them any larger.

I'm more concerned about the developer having a change of heart, or scaling down the proposal than the city shooting it down for being too big.

The city will not turn it down, it's the vocal neighborhood groups that will have a problem with it.

i think its all about power and nothing about height

the people in these groups want to flex their politcal muscles as others do in the city/state in other various arenas... and this is their only stage

maybe they feel all the new transplant RI'ers are taking over and they want their presence felt as natives, something like that

its like politicians who will strike down a bill because the other politcal party advocates it, just because they do not want to have them stake claim to the credit for creating it or advocating it 1st, even tho everyone knows the bill would be good for the country, state, or city, etc...

if the bldg was closer to 500 ft then i feel you could say its about height

the fact of the matter is, a person standing somewhat near the domenica manor and near the new rumored parcel wouldnt notice that the new one is 299 ft tall, they would notice its a little bit higher from their point of view but nothing that would stand out and make them feel dwarfed. its all about perspective, i could draw and paint you pictures all day of the 2 bldgs up close and you would say the same thing. the only way to truly see the difference in height is to be on smith hill or college hill and see them from a distance

i think its all about power and nothing about height

the people in these groups want to flex their politcal muscles as others do in the city/state in other various arenas... and this is their only stage

i think that in many of these cases where people are uncomfortable with the height of a project it is because if they wanted to live in and amongst 200 ft buildings, they'd live downtown. Not everyone wants to live among high rises. Some people like living among smaller scale neighborhoods, and when developers come in and want to building these incredibly tall buildings (comparatively) they aren't always happy about it and it has nothing to do with political muscle and everything to do with worrying about a deterioration of quality of life and investment. And when i say investment i don't just mean financial but also emotional.

This parcel has been rumored for some time, the area beside Dominca Manor and Broadway (not sure why it's been being called the Atwells Parcel, come to think of it). I'm hoping to gather some more information and perhaps renderings this weekend or next week. 299foot, residential, yes the space is zoned for 45feet.

A map of the approximate location, ignore the 55 Broadway, it's an old map.

v21-PowerBlockAtwellsSite.jpg

Oh great, there goes the only free on street parking for Dunkin Donut events!

Mark

Living off of Broadway this is the entrance to my neigborhood. I dont see it as federal Hill, although officially I know it is.

That area is pretty crappy in terms of nothing being there and would certainly benefit from something being placed there. There are viable business in those two buildings right there though and that is also a consideration.

The West Broadway/Armory Nieghborhood would have Metrolofts on Westminster and this one on Broadway. Both tall, with big footprints. I can see why people would be leery of the size. Also the fact that Broadway is designated a "National Main Street" should have some sway in building a 300ft tower that looms over the neighborhood west of it. I say should, because I am not sure if it does.

I actually like MetroLofts alot and I think it has to do with the fact that Westminster is a denser street to begin with. Broadway is wider and definitely has that Main Street feel. Those vacant lots should be filled in with buildings, no doubt. the gateways to my neighborhood are wanting very badly. I am just not sure a 300 footer is what I would envision there. A rendering could change my mind.

There are viable business in those two buildings right there though and that is also a consideration.

The site outlines on that map is simply my best guess of where the building might go. It should be somewhere in that area, I doubt it will be the whole area. I have no knowledge about if any buildings would come down for this.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still annoyed it is being referred to as the Atwells Parcel. Its not, it affects Broadway, not Atwells.

Did the render fit in with the area? Or did it look out of place?

i'm going to refrain from commenting on it other than to say it was tall, as it may come before the city plan commission. I mean, it is a big parcel/footprint so i assume it will.

out of place or not - the taller the better at this point since we all know it will get scaled back due to opposition from somewhere. Along the highway where it is, a 300 footer would work better than if it were a block or 2 to the west...

Unless of course you are of the opinion that it should not be that tall to begin with. A 300 footer in a Historic District? Especially a wide boulevard such as Broadway? I know that I am probably in the minority on this board on this one.

Archived