PROPOSED: Vista Della Torre

Its really not an appropriate site for it, and I would be shocked if it was approved at that height. maybe 180. maybe. I think a proposal like the original Rialto design (6 and 8 stories) would work brilliantly there. I

have a feeling sketchballs are proposing 300' there (though that is pure speculation on my part)...

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in the Armory district, and I agree that Metro Lofts would be great for Westminster and all points west. I think that to a certain extent, any big investment and development is still good for Providence at this point. I agree that Broadway has more of a historic/residential feel, but this parcel is so close to the highway and dowtown, I don't think it would take away from the "main street" quality.

I don't understand why so many people are against height. You live in a city. If you want to be surrounded by small houses and quiet streets, maybe you should not have chosen to live in a city. It would be a shame to miss out on significant downtown developments because people opposed the height or overall scale of them.

I live in the Armory district, and I agree that Metro Lofts would be great for Westminster and all points west. I think that to a certain extent, any big investment and development is still good for Providence at this point. I agree that Broadway has more of a historic/residential feel, but this parcel is so close to the highway and dowtown, I don't think it would take away from the "main street" quality.

I don't understand why so many people are against height. You live in a city. If you want to be surrounded by small houses and quiet streets, maybe you should not have chosen to live in a city. It would be a shame to miss out on significant downtown developments because people opposed the height or overall scale of them.

I too live in the Armory. I love Metro Lofts. I think it fits in with Westminster as it is a denser, narrower street to begin with.

Broadway I have a different feeling about. It is a National Main Street, its a designated Historic District and those designations have nothing to do with a 300 foot tower. I like development and I know I live in a city. If I wanted small houses and quiet streets, I would not have moved here to begin with.

That being said, I would have to see a render. My first instinct when I hear 300' and Broadway is that it does not belong at that particular corner. 6-8 stories like Eltron suggested? Sure.

The only reason I don't like the 300' footer in that spot is because it would stretch the skyline out and take focus away from the CBD. Dominica Manor already looks massive from 146S and a 300 footer there would appear to be the largest structure in the city. ( based on its spot on the hill) How about down the road just a little?

The only reason I don't like the 300' footer in that spot is because it would stretch the skyline out and take focus away from the CBD. Dominica Manor already looks massive from 146S and a 300 footer there would appear to be the largest structure in the city. ( based on its spot on the hill) How about down the road just a little?

What about when 110 is finished? 300 feet and 520 feet is a huge difference, I'm sure between the pre-existing buildings and 110, the CBD will remain prominent. I think a 300 footer on the "atwells parcel" would be great by adding depth to a new cluster of buildings that could include the Power Block and the safety complex rumor.

Which direction "down the road a little"? If you are talking west on Broadway, I would say no, the further west you go, you get into the neighborhood. A neighborhood which is not conducive to a 300 foot tower. If there is any spot on Broadway that this would be okay, it would be that spot.

Which direction "down the road a little"? If you are talking west on Broadway, I would say no, the further west you go, you get into the neighborhood. A neighborhood which is not conducive to a 300 foot tower. If there is any spot on Broadway that this would be okay, it would be that spot.

No, I was thinking the old Fogarty( welfare ) buiding or the Public Safety..... :whistling:

I actually think we could use some height in other places to stretch out not the skyline, but our visual perception of where the city is. That meaning, I'd like to see us stretch our definition of what comprises "urban" Providence.

Frankly, I'm going to wait to see the render on this one. Certainly, I'd rather see the 300 footers downtown, but we'll see...

As with G-Tech, I think the ground floor and the street life it helps create or suffocate will make a bigger difference than the height itself. If Dominica Manor had a great base that extended to the street lined with restaurants, a pharmacy, and a plaza with a fountain overlooking the skyline rather than its current gated, wooded parking lot, I bet we'd all forgive some of its ugliness...

- Garris

I actually think we could use some height in other places to stretch out not the skyline, but our visual perception of where the city is. That meaning, I'd like to see us stretch our definition of what comprises "urban" Providence.

- Garris

I would agree...with this building and the LaSalle Sq both 300+ you have the western edge of the urban core defined (somewhat). That would allow more interest and acceptance of parcels between the Financial District and Route 95 being 200-400 foot structures over the next 5-10 years.

That is why Grant's Block is so important (IMO) - especially if it is 250 feet - as it begins the movement west from the big guys to an actual fairly defined point - in many ways it could be crucial to expanding Downcity west.

That is why Grant's Block is so important (IMO) - especially if it is 250 feet - as it begins the movement west from the big guys to an actual fairly defined point - in many ways it could be crucial to expanding Downcity west.

Absolutely... Ari I'm sure will fill us in one things are decided, but I fear that in the new, more expensive-to-build market climate that it won't be this high, which would be a shame, because in addition to beginning that height movement West, it would also set a more urban tone for the to-be-developed 195 land.

- Garris

Absolutely... Ari I'm sure will fill us in one things are decided, but I fear that in the new, more expensive-to-build market climate that it won't be this high, which would be a shame, because in addition to beginning that height movement West, it would also set a more urban tone for the to-be-developed 195 land.

- Garris

I dont agree with that. I think the tone for the 195 land will be set by the buyers. Should Brown/RISD/JWU get their collective hands on land this could end up being an exstention of east side-fox point (go figure) rather then 20 acres of urban redevelopment, witch if were the case I would hope to see elemnets of new urbanism particulary something like the Portsmith NH area that Bursett wrote about a couple of weeks ago.

I dont agree with that. I think the tone for the 195 land will be set by the buyers. Should Brown/RISD/JWU get their collective hands on land this could end up being an exstention of east side-fox point (go figure) rather then 20 acres of urban redevelopment, witch if were the case I would hope to see elemnets of new urbanism particulary something like the Portsmith NH area that Bursett wrote about a couple of weeks ago.

1 Your argument relates to moving south -a valid point if the educational interests secure most of the land it will take on an "east side" look; but 20 acres is unlikely.

2 My hope is that the footprint for Grant's Block will be kept small so as to maximize height.

3 The success of a western movement of theDowncity (urban core) is more important that any southern exposure...a modest few areas can produce a couple of towers in the 250-350 range.

4 The western movement is tied to only a few ventures..the rumored 1 LaSalle and Atwells/Broadway towers and anything of height (200-400) along the Weybosset/Westiminster corridor (ie-Grant's Block).

There's also the Metrolofts and the proposed/delayed/scaled back/maybe dead Power Block towers. If everything except for the Power Block is built to the height they've been said to be, downcity will have a second Financial District-like cluster of skyscrapers. All in all it's very exciting...

I think the tone for the 195 land will be set by the buyers. Should Brown/RISD/JWU get their collective hands on land this could end up being an exstention of east side-fox point (go figure) rather then 20 acres of urban redevelopment

Granted, if the universities get much of the land, I would expect more of a campus feel (I wouldn't trust Brown especially to do much in an urban mode given how tepid their recent efforts have been, although J&W and RISD have some good urban campus elements). I doubt this scenario will happen, though. 20+ acres are just too much to give to the universities alone and the public/politicians will never allow that to happen, as the outrage over non-tax paying development would be too great.

I would believe (hope?) that the city will do much of the planning for the area and that they would want a strongly urban bent to it.

2 My hope is that the footprint for Grant's Block will be kept small so as to maximize height.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The footprint, I would hope, would extend to the sidewalks like the surrounding buildings.

- Garris

I'm not sure what you mean here. The footprint, I would hope, would extend to the sidewalks like the surrounding buildings.

- Garris

I thought he meant that the parking garage component would take up enough of the middle space between the W streets to leave the condo portion(s) of Grant's Block with smaller footprint(s).

i will bet a dozen donuts that the majority of the land that will become available in the relocation of 195 has already been spoken for, privately, with the city.

Next you're probably going to bet that it will rain sometime in the next 24 hours! :silly:

Granted, if the universities get much of the land, I would expect more of a campus feel (I wouldn't trust Brown especially to do much in an urban mode given how tepid their recent efforts have been, although J&W and RISD have some good urban campus elements). I doubt this scenario will happen, though. 20+ acres are just too much to give to the universities alone and the public/politicians will never allow that to happen, as the outrage over non-tax paying development would be too great.

I would believe (hope?) that the city will do much of the planning for the area and that they would want a strongly urban bent to it.

- Garris

Well, frankly any design that would maximize height over width...at least the "tower" portion.

Example; imagine the new Hilton narrowed out to 25-28 floors instead of 14. Anything under 220-250 just is not a sufficient to provide the structural and visual connection between the Financial District towers and the western approach.

I thought he meant that the parking garage component would take up enough of the middle space between the W streets to leave the condo portion(s) of Grant's Block with smaller footprint(s).

Exactly. My concern is some sort of wide and short design. I would prefer a narrow and tall condo tower after the initial 4-6 floors of parking and streetfront. IMO, this will make the difference as to it creating the connection to the western growth.

• 3 months later...

Great scoop!

Unfortunately, I really dislike that tower! Nothing going on at the base, presumably disconnected from everything with its greenspace buffer, and it's a brick-with-balconies with some Italianate detailing here or there to try to distract from the banality.

Nearby Dominica Manor seems to have been the unfortunate inspiration!

I'll need to see more, of course, but thumbs down to that render...

- Garris

Archived