Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

This will be a thread devoted to discussion of news related to the economy in South Carolina, with an emphasis on new economic development announcements from around the state.

Let everyone know what is happening to improve the economy in your area.

No "city-bashing" will be tollerated.

While this document contains info compiled from 2004 (not current), it is a very fascinating overview of the economic impact of domestic travel expenditures in South Carolina that year. Thanks to krazeeboi for this one. :thumbsup:

Click the graphic to view the document:

TableTravel_01.jpg

Richland surprises me. I've always thought that the capital would attract a lot of people and USC as well... Not to mention the many state tournaments that columbia hosts for the high school league. But I guess that the central location may not be far away from most of the state to require overnight stays...?

Richland surprises me. I've always thought that the capital would attract a lot of people and USC as well... Not to mention the many state tournaments that columbia hosts for the high school league. But I guess that the central location may not be far away from most of the state to require overnight stays...?

You have to remember that Columbia is in Lexington and Richland County...Lexington was at 367 which I guess would be 6th so that really would put Columbia at 747 million in expedentures and pump other things up.

Edited by sonofaque86

It surprised me as well, but you do have a point. Also, I think what propels Greenville County ahead of Richland is the sports-oriented tourism events, which tend to bring lots of people who are willing to spend money in the area.

Sonofaque, I was going to post that article as well. Seems as though things were worse than we initially thought in the first part of the 21st century. :(

As someone asked in the previous thread where this document was posted, it will be interesting to see how much of an impact the US Pro Cycling Championship has on the state economy later this year. The anticipated number of visitors is up into the hundreds of thousands, so we could have a very great thing going on. :D

You have to remember that Columbia is in Lexington and Richland County...Lexington was at 367 which I guess would be 6th so that really would put Columbia at 747 million in expedentures and pump other things up.

I didn't know the city limits were in both counties. Maps don't show it that way. Can someone provide a map that shows the city limits are actually in both counties? Show the municipal boundaries?

If we're adding counties, the Greenville burbs spill into Pickens, Spartanburg, Anderson, etc. So I guess that pumps it way up! :rolleyes:

Why can't facts just be facts? Why are they always challenged?

I'm just saying that Columbia isn't just Richland County...The fact is Columbia's MUNICIPAL boundaries extend into Lexington County...No one is talking suburbs...Some of the city limits have been in Lexington County since 1990. Guess you learn something new everyday. So while you added those counties I didn't know Greenville City limits reached all those counties. No, but I know what ya'll are saying...You would think Richland would be higher...But here ya go...

lex.jpg

Edited by sonofaque86

I'm just saying that Columbia isn't just Richland County...The fact is Columbia's MUNICIPAL boundaries extend into Lexington County...No one is talking suburbs...Some of the city limits have been in Lexington County since 1990. Guess you learn something new everyday. So while you added those counties I didn't know Greenville City limits reached all those counties. No, but I know what ya'll are saying...You would think Richland would be higher...But here ya go...

lex.jpg

This is so funny, but I will play along. Earlier, you were trying to justify Columbia's low ranking by adding totals for both Richland and Lexington counties:

You have to remember that Columbia is in Lexington and Richland County...Lexington was at 367 which I guess would be 6th so that really would put Columbia at 747 million in expedentures and pump other things up. -sonofaque86

That would barely put Columbia in fourth place, despite the fact that it is the only two-county listing. Greenville's airport is in two counties, so if we're going to play that game then we should count Greenville and Spartanburg county for Greenville's listing. Right?

Edited by Greenville

Okay, we're NOT going to get into any "my city is better than your city because..." arguments in this thread. That is one specific reason this topic was started. Just stick with reporting and discussing in this thread, not debating "city vs. city", PLEASE! Thank you!

I guess Atlantans need to stay in motels off the interstate on their way to Charlotte and vice versa. ;);)

From what I have heard, the reason for so much visitor money is heavily tied to the many international businesses located in Greenville and the Upstate. There probably are people stopping along the interstate as well, along with visitors in for the many outdoor activities available in the region. It sure is nice to see the numbers rising so rapidly. Greenville has seen a 740% tourism dollar increase in less than a 10-year span.