Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

I had no idea the numbers were this high, but since 2001, 13 companies and roughly 5,000 jobs have moved from Charlotte across the state line to York and Lancaster counties. Noteworthy moves include Citigroup Inc., which moved 700 jobs into the state, and HSBC Group plc, which last year moved 460 jobs across the border. Draws have included generous government incentives, lower taxes and available land.

From what I have heard, the reason for so much visitor money is heavily tied to the many international businesses located in Greenville and the Upstate. There probably are people stopping along the interstate as well, along with visitors in for the many outdoor activities available in the region. It sure is nice to see the numbers rising so rapidly. Greenville has seen a 740% tourism dollar increase in less than a 10-year span.

This is a staggering figure! A 740% increase in tourism dollars is quite impressive. Too bad it doesn't get more press in the news and on these forums.

This is a staggering figure! A 740% increase in tourism dollars is quite impressive. Too bad it doesn't get more press in the news and on these forums.

That is impressive. I'm glad the Columbia region is beginning to promote itself as a nice place to visit. Self-promotion pays.

A few days ago on the news, Orangeburg County officials said that since winning their All-America City award last year they have seen lots of activity that they know has been a result of their award. Now that Richland County has won the award this year, it will be interesting to see if it will also get some new attention, not only because of its award, but also because of its position so close to a 2005 All-America City award-winning county. Officials from the two counties have a real opportunity to help them feed off of each other. What's good for Richland County is good for Orangeburg County and vice versa because of their proximity.

A few days ago on the news, Orangeburg County officials said that since winning their All-America City award last year they have seen lots of activity that they know has been a result of their award. Now that Richland County has won the award this year, it will be interesting to see if it will also get some new attention, not only because of its award, but also because of its position so close to a 2005 All-America City award-winning county. Officials from the two counties have a real opportunity to help them feed off of each other. What's good for Richland County is good for Orangeburg County and vice versa because of their proximity.

Congrats to Richland! If Orangeburg Co. is any indication, then I hope to hear more in this thread in the future about Richland.

McGraw-Hill must not have any projects going on over on the SC side of the Charlotte metro or in the Midlands, as those areas weren't mentioned in the study. Good news overall though.

This part was news to me:

In Spartanburg, Turner Construction Co.'s Charlotte office is providing preconstruction and construction services for the Renaissance Park Hotel and Convention Center's new nine-story, 147,000-sq.-ft., 250-room hotel and 112,000-sq.-ft. convention center. In addition, the contractor is excavating and building a two-level, 138,000-sq.-ft. underground parking garage with 310 spaces.

Can one of the Upstaters provide more info on this? It sounds very exciting for Sparkle City!

McGraw-Hill must not have any projects going on over on the SC side of the Charlotte metro or in the Midlands, as those areas weren't mentioned in the study. Good news overall though.

This part was news to me:

Can one of the Upstaters provide more info on this? It sounds very exciting for Sparkle City!

Yeah the condo fell through, as did the one that followed it. If you check out the depths od the Spartanburg section, we have renderings of it. The hotel is quite complete though and is quite successful.

Here is an interesting fact sheet from last year, regarding the South Carolina-Canada trade and investment partnership, including imports and exports. Canada has been South Carolina's largest foreign trade partner in recent years. As of the time this report was published, 69,000 jobs in SC were supported by U.S.-Canada trade.

SC-Canada trade and investment - Washington Embassy

The new Verdae development in Greenville made an announcement recently.

Banyan Senior Living is building a $100 million complex on 40 acres of the 1,100 acre Verdae development. It will create 150 new jobs (full time and part time)!

It will include 40 patio homes, 160 independent living apartments, 48 assisted living apartments, 24 'memory care' apartments, and 44 skilled nursing units.

It's not only more jobs and a big investment, but will add 316 housing units in the city limits. Here's the Greenville News article:

The Greenville News

It's good to see that our seniors aren't left out of the urban experience.

I think I would rather see the housing geared towards seniors scattered throughout the entire development instead of occurring in one big cluster, though.

I understand what you mean. I think it's healthy for seniors to be around a younger crowd. It kind of helps drive them in a way. I guess this way the staff can easily manage what they must, but more interwoven into the rest of the development might be nice. nonetheless it's welcome! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hella Lighting Corp., a German-owned company that makes headlights and other car components, has nearly doubled its size with a $13 million expansion to its York plant to keep up with the demand for automotive headlights. With the 105,000-square-foot addition for more production and warehouse space, Hella hired 150 workers, bringing its work force in York to 582. That makes the company York County's 12th-largest employer.

Source