Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

^I notice that they don't inlcude Spartanburg. Interesting.

There is a good article in the Herald-Journal today about the maufacturing job loss in SC. Here's the link.

The article says we have lost 7,085 manufacturing jobs and 60 plants since September of 2005 and 53,000 manufacturing jobs since September 2001, dropping at an average rate of 3.5 percent per year.

Largest manufacturing cities:

Greenville - 458 plants {sodEmoji.|} 26,659 jobs

Columbia - 296 plants {sodEmoji.|} 26,659 jobs

Spartanburg - 263 plants {sodEmoji.|} 19,389 jobs

A recent issue of the business publication "Business Magazine Inc." has ranked Gov. Mark Sanford as the nation's worst when it comes to helping business. Is there any validity to this at all?

He recieved the worst gov. out of all the states and worst when it comes to helping business???? :shok: . And for some strange reason I bet he'll be re-elected. The commerical he has playing in the midlands has to be the worst and misleading campain I've seen in my life.

Edited by 803metlife

He recieved the worst gov. out of all the states and worst when it comes to helping business???? :shok: . And for some strange reason I bet he'll be re-elected. The commerical he has playing in the midlands has to be the worst and misleading campain I've seen in my life.

Are the other candidates doing anything to offer voters a better alternative? Do most voters even know what the issues are, and where the candidates stand on them? Probably not, and that is the first problem. They just vote for who has the best campaign sign, TV commercial, or simply go by whether they have an R or D next to their name.

For that matter, most people probably don't know much about what Sanford has or hasn't done, aside from what they might occasionally read in the newspaper (which, as we know, is rarely objective). They don't know about the good things he's done, the opportunities he's squandered, and the fact that our legislature in SC is too powerful. No governor, regardless of party affiliation, will be able to overcome a legislature that is against them. Not with the old fashioned way our state government is set up.

Edited by Greenville

They will never get rid of the straight party buttons. Both Parties recognize that thisbutton probably gets them a lot of votes because of people who don't know all of the candidates.

I would be surprised of Tommy Moore wins, or somes close for that matter. Infact, I can't think of any Democrats at the state level that I'm seriously considering voting for. However, I may vote anti-incumbent for my state representatives because I think we need new blood in the state house.

^I generally agree with what Greenville said.^

Norman has been found, by the Charlotte Observer to be employing illegal aliens, while at the same time running adverts on TV accusing Spratt of being soft on illegals. Its on the front page of today's paper. It's interesting in the printed version of the paper, the title of the article is Illegal help on Norman project was changed to Candidate doesn't verify legality of workers.

Norman has been found, by the Charlotte Observer to be employing illegal aliens, while at the same time running adverts on TV accusing Spratt of being soft on illegals. Its on the front page of today's paper. It's interesting in the printed version of the paper, the title of the article is Illegal help on Norman project was changed to Candidate doesn't verify legality of workers.

I would say both headlines would be accurate descriptions as from reading the articles, Norman doesn't actually hire the illegals, but a subcontractor does.

Sorta a lame attempt of a local news to play gotcha. It is nearly impossible for a building contractor to run background checks on his subcontractors employees these days.

He could stipulate in a contract, for instance, that his sub contractors to not employ illegals, but then he would find hardly any sub constractors willing to sign such a clause in a contract, for they usually don't run those kind of background checks on day laborers due to the costs and time involved.

Whole system is broken really.

I don't vote in the 5th district, but from my experience, it is trending like SC's 3rd district. Spratt will probably hold the office as long as he wants it, but the moment he retires it will end up like the 3rd district (the Savannah River district after Butler Derrick retired), where it is now a solidly GOP district.

If the GOP maintains control of the House, Spratt might retire in '08, as the years of being in the minority and not being able to chair a committee, which he would do if he were a member of the majority party, tend to wear down senior members after a while.

But yeah, Spratt should win in November, even though he looked a bit vulnerable late last year, early this year.