Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

WIS News in Columbia and South Carolina Educational Radio reported today that real estate brokers in South Carolina are saying the state's coastal housing boom has been brought to a halt by high insurance rates. They also fear a spike in hotel room rates that would cause people to stop visiting. Here is the link to WIS's story on it. Educational radio read WIS's report pretty much verbatim on their afternoon news report. http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6015306

Also, the Post and Courier in Charleston reported today that Charleston's port slipped two places and is now the 4th largest container port on the east coast behind Savannah and somewhere in Virginia.

Any thoughts as to what these two news items could mean for South Carolina's economy? Will areas away from the coast pick up the slack in terms of home sales? Will Interstates 26 and 95 to Savannah, and less expensive land make inland South Carolina still attractive for companies looking for convenient shipping, both by air and by sea?

Edited by CorgiMatt

WIS News in Columbia and South Carolina Educational Radio reported today that real estate brokers in South Carolina are saying the state's coastal housing boom has been brought to a halt by high insurance rates. They also fear a spike in hotel room rates that would cause people to stop visiting. Here is the link to WIS's story on it. Educational radio read WIS's report pretty much verbatim on their afternoon news report. http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6015306

Also, the Post and Courier in Charleston reported today that Charleston's port slipped two places and is now the 4th largest container port on the east coast behind Savannah and somewhere in Virginia.

Any thoughts as to what these two news items could mean for South Carolina's economy? Will areas away from the coast pick up the slack in terms of home sales? Will Interstates 26 and 95 to Savannah, and less expensive land make inland South Carolina still attractive for companies looking for convenient shipping, both by air and by sea?

I guess these other cities don't care about what port expansion will do to the environment or peoples quality of life. :P While the Charleston port "slipped" two places it's volume pretty much didn't change up or down, it is running at capacity and expansion has been set back a gazillion times sadly. With that said though over 2 billion dollars in investment for warehousing and distribution in and around the Charleston area has been planned in anticipation of future expansion and growth so I wouldn't worry too much about it's current position behind these other ports. Now insurance rates definitely have me worried about coastal sustainability but this isn't limited to Charleston.

Edited by MikesLogic

Google has confirmed its interest in the Richland County site near Blythewood, and it sounds as if the Berkeley County Google development has the green light.

See, we're still in the running. :shades:

As far as the potential Rolls Royce facility, an SC site is still possible, and officials hope to make a decision sometime this year.

We need some good news like this right about now.

^^^...in Greenville. :)

-Just an FYI, site prep has begun on the site where the South Financial Headquarters will go along I-85 in Greenville. The Greenville Journal also reported this week that permits have been filed for road work on the campus site to begin and that groundbreaking should take place sometime this month. Phase 1 of this campus will employ 600 people and cost over 100 million dollars. Remember, that's only phase 1 of the project. :thumbsup:

Edited by g-man430

You're the only one whining about it. Google will build where they see fit.

The only reason I can see for them not to build a data center in Greenville would be the "relative" lack of fresh water when compared to the Columbia and Charleston areas, both of which are practically next door to the largest lakes in SC. Greenville obviously meets the power requirements,especially with the Oconee Nuclear Station in Oconee County.

Edited by SimCity

^^^In fact, Duke Power is supposed to build a new nuclear power plant in Cherokee County in 2011.

The only reason I can see for them not to build a data center in Greenville would be the "relative" lack of fresh water when compared to the Columbia and Charleston areas, both of which are practically next door to the largest lakes in SC. Greenville obviously meets the power requirements,especially with the Oconee Nuclear Station in Oconee County.

So, I guess Lake Hartwell doesn't have enough fresh water even though it is one of the largest lakes in South Carolina? :blink:

You're the only one whining about it. Google will build where they see fit.

True. I'm just wondering why they're considering Columbia and Charleston sites over Greenville. Is there something they don't like about this area? We have plenty of fresh water and electricity with Lake Keowee and Lake Hartwell in the area. :unsure: I have found the state of South Carolina to look down upon the upstate when jobs are involved. It seems like the state always steers clear of the upstate and wants companies that are outside of South Carolina to locate in the Columbia or Charleston areas over Greenville. Why? I'm not sure.

Edited by g-man430

Its true that those are the largest lakes in terms of surface area, but Lake Hartwell has the most water in terms of volume. The waters there get very deep. But then perhaps Anderson would also be a good location, given the lake and ONS nearby. We also have to remember that there is a lot more to site selection than these two criteria. Any place in SC that Google decides to build would be beneficial to our state by bringing in more well paying white-collar jobs.

True. I'm just wondering why they're considering Columbia and Charleston sites over Greenville. Is there something they don't like about this area? We have plenty of fresh water and electricity with Lake Keowee and Lake Hartwell in the area. :unsure: I have found the state of South Carolina to look down upon the upstate when jobs are involved. It seems like the state always steers clear of the upstate and wants companies that are outside of South Carolina to locate in the Columbia or Charleston areas over Greenville. Why? I'm not sure.

Do you feel all right? It's shocking to hear a Greenville person say something like that. To me it seems too much as though Charleston and Greenville are the cities that keep getting all the big announcements and everyone seems to think Columbia is a big void. That's why I always find it amazing that we hold our own on the jobs numbers year after year. But image-wise it just seems we have been very overlooked. That seems to be on the verge of changing, though, thankfully.

^^^You live in Columbia and think Columbia gets looked down upon and I live in Greenville and think Greenville gets looked down upon. Is there anybody from Charleston that feels this way? :lol:

Actually, I kinda do... The Upstate gets alot in my opinion.. The midlands has alot of financial and governmental institutions... Bot have larger reasearch universities.. But Charleston i ussually looked down upon becuase everyone thinks it is just a hospitality market and a playground for the rich...