Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

^The vast majority of rankings, however, indicate that the Charleston area has the most robust economy in the state. It's pretty diverse as well (the port, education, tourism, defense technology, etc.).

I honestly think that when it comes to the big job announcements, Columbia tends to get left out the most. Within the past year or two, Charleston has gotten the Vought facility, the American LaFrance HQ, and the BB&T regional HQ. I'd say Greenville's biggest announcement was the South Financial expansion, and there were a plethora of smaller economic developments. If Richland County lands the Google facility, it will be one of the biggest economic development projects the Columbia area has seen in a while. However, like CorgiMatt said, Columbia does tend to post solid job increases from month to month, in areas from government to trade and transportation (most have come from the latter in recent months). But there seems to be more things heading towards the Columbia metro as of late.

What all of our major metros lack is a significant amount of white collar jobs.

The reasons for the interest in Charleston and Columbia are Sanford and Taylor. It's NO secret Sanford's people have steered every major investment opportunity to Charleston - at least as best they could. Now ol' Joe 'the log cabin guy' is trying to get the government town into the act.

Google has dozens of these sites in the works, but not all will happen based on incentives, demand, etc.

Actually, I kinda do... The Upstate gets alot in my opinion.. The midlands has alot of financial and governmental institutions... Bot have larger reasearch universities.. But Charleston i ussually looked down upon becuase everyone thinks it is just a hospitality market and a playground for the rich...

Charleston has the Port, which sustains the rest of the state by providing a crucial link to the rest of the world. The Upstate sells itself on Charleston's existance. Lets not forget about MUSC. Its a university that isn't as broad as USC or Clemson, but its still research oriented to some extent.

This brings up an interesting question though- why does Charleston not have a large division 1 university? Charleston of the Citadel are great historic schools and well respected, but neither of them are very large. All of its contemporary cities have large universities (or highly regarded ones).... any thoughts?

^Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head I can see, but not Rock Hill; we are totally within the shadow of Charlotte. Even most of the Charlotte economic overflow goes to Fort Mill rather than Rock Hill due to the former's closer proximity to Charlotte.

But I would say that Florence does tend to get more than Spartanburg, but I think that's because Florence is the heart and principal city of the Pee Dee region, whereas Spartanburg has to share the spotlight with other Upstate cities, most notably Greenville.

I know this doesn't sound like much, but it is an indication of successful business recruiting in our larger cities: Two new businesses are opening offices in downtown Greenville. One is an engineering company from Asheville, NC, and the other is an auto finance company from Newport Beach, CA. Read more. From the various reports we've shared here, this seems to be a steady trend in the state's larger metros at least. :shades:

The January 2007 issue of "South Carolina Workforce Trends" is out. Columbia continues to lead the state in job gains (net jobs; i.e., hirings minus firings). As of November 2007, the unemployment rates in the Columbia, Greenville and Charleston metropolitan statistical areas were 5.5%, 5.6% and 5.2% respectively.

From October 2006 to November 2006, the Columbia MSA gained 2,600 jobs. Greenville's gained 1,300 and Charleston's gained 600. From November 2005 to November 2006, the Columbia MSA gained 11,300 jobs. Greenville's gained 2,000 and Charleston's gained 8,300.

These figures are found on page 12 of the publicaton: http://www.sces.org/LMI/pubs/OnlinePubs/Jan2007wft.pdf

Edited by CorgiMatt

I would love to see Google build a facility in each of our largest metros. Personally, I would rather not be faced with relocation to the Lowcountry or Midlands to work for the best company in the nation, so a Greenville (or even an Upstate) facility would be wonderful. Of course I'd be satisfied with any location Google decides to build near here, and the state would greatly benefit from such an addition.

The January 2007 issue of "South Carolina Workforce Trends" is out. Columbia continues to lead the state in job gains (net jobs; i.e., hirings minus firings). As of November 2007, the unemployment rates in the Columbia, Greenville and Charleston metropolitan statistical areas were 5.5%, 5.6% and 5.2% respectively.

From October 2006 to November 2006, the Columbia MSA gained 2,600 jobs. Greenville's gained 1,300 and Charleston's gained 600. From November 2005 to November 2006, the Columbia MSA gained 11,300 jobs. Greenville's gained 2,000 and Charleston's gained 8,300.

These figures are found on page 12 of the publicaton: http://www.sces.org/LMI/pubs/OnlinePubs/Jan2007wft.pdf

This is great news. I didn't know we gained the most jobs last year. I would've always thought it would have been Charleston.

^^^I told you Greenville gets left behind and how we deserve Google over Columbia and Charleston.

I really can't believe I just read this, and I can't believe that you said it. Greenville deserves Google over Columbia and Charleston? :blink: What makes Greenville so great that it deserves it over the other two? It it because Greenville isn't in 1st place this year on that particular statistic? Good God man get down off your Greenville high and come down to the real world.

BTW- By your logic, Spartanburg "deserves" it more than anywhere since we get left behind by the "big three" all the time.

^^^The upstate whether it be Spartanburg, Greenville, Anderson, etc. deserves it more because we have lost more textile jobs and have hired less people than the Columbia or Charleston areas. It's a fact, not an opinion. Why do you think Greenville used to be called the textile capital of the world? It's all Mark Sanford's fault and his stupid army. Why did David Wilkins have to go to Canada and leave Greenville behind? Charleston gets 8,300 jobs, Columbia gets 11,300, and Greenville gets an amazing 2,000 jobs. Wow, Greenville sure is doing well. I'm not saying Columbia and/or Charleston shouldn't get it, i'm just saying why can't they build a facility in Greenville too? All i'm doing is just sticking up for my city and there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by g-man430

1. No need to lecture me about manufacturing job losses. I'm from Spartanburg, remember?
  2. Speaker Wilkins was the biggest good ol' boy there was- good riddance.
I think you are making too much out of this. The Upstate needs job diversity to be sure, but I look at it this way- The Spartanburg MSA gained 1520 jobs. We were projected to loose jobs. What does that say about our economy?

The Upstate is not the only area to suffer from massive job losses. Charleston, when the Chas. Naval Shipyard closed in 1996 lost 8,722 military jobs and 6,272 civilian jobs. My dad was one of those and was fortunate to get early retirement, many were not so fortunate. The Myrtle Beach AFB was closed in 1991 and I'm sure that over 1,000 civilians lost their jobs there as well so the Upstate dosen't have a monopoly on employment losses.

What does all of this tell us? It should be telling us that this state as a whole isn't in the best condition, so we'd better take what we can get--wherever such projects wind up.

As for Greenville, 2006 was a good year for the area in terms of job announcements; it will simply take some time for those jobs to actualize and make an impact on job creation statistics.

......The Myrtle Beach AFB was closed in 1991 and I'm sure that over 1,000 civilians lost their jobs there as well so the Upstate dosen't have a monopoly on employment losses.

Most residents were happy that based closed. it sat on some of the most valuable land in SC and the redevelopment of that land has brought a lot of jobs to replace the civil service jobs that were lost. As a bonus the constant noise from the very noisy military jets is gone too.