Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

In my opinion, the state's prominence in the hydrogen industry will not be as recognized in the long term as some may think. Other states are at least as far along with this development - which is a great thing for our nation. Understanding that, I am glad our research focus (at CU-ICAR) is much broader in the transportation industry. Hydrogen will definitely play a roll in our future transportation, but how far can we go with that alone?

Being that this technology is in its infancy, I think that there are many areas of research that allows a "broadbasing," so to speak. SC isn't out to be the "end all, be all" as far as hydrogen is concerned, but we do want our piece of the pie.

But, as Skyliner mentioned, it's good to not put all of your eggs in one basket. The research emphases at both CU-ICAR and Innovista go beyond hydrogen research and application, although we're hoping that that's what can give us some distinction on the national and even international level.

Boo Google. <_< I thought they were supposed to be the "good guys" ? And being a company from California I would expect higher environmental concerns than this. Wetlands and floodplains should be preserved at all costs. Filling them in leads to flooding (e.g. Five Points), and other potential problems down the road.

But this will get approved. This state cares about nothing but economic development inspite of everything else. Besides, why learn from history when you can relive it!

But this will get approved. This state cares about nothing but economic development inspite of everything else. Besides, why learn from history when you can relive it!

:rofl:

How true. Though, if it's the only way to get the jobs, I guess I'd have to take it.

Edited by GvilleSC

Well, it isn't a wetlands like you think. A more accurate description is a low lying area that holds water a little while after it rains, but it is classified as wetlands. Personally I think its dumb (by that definition, Five points and the Whaley South Main intersections are wetlands, and would never be developed today), but that's the way the rules are written, so that's the way you play.

While I am excited about Google coming to Chas and Cola, I am fairly disappointed that they're building facilities far beyond the urban core of both areas. For Chas, why didn't Google consider the Cainhoy or West Ashley sections of Chas? Even Johns Island? In Cola, why didn't they go to Cayce or SE Cola (along Garners Ferry, 12th Street, or SC 48)? It's incredible that state leaders will just let them build anywhere in this state, without any foresight into the impacts of additional suburban development on the metro areas. Are we that desperate?

These facilities are literally being built in the boonies.

While I am excited about Google coming to Chas and Cola, I am fairly disappointed that they're building facilities far beyond the urban core of both areas. For Chas, why didn't Google consider the Cainhoy or West Ashley sections of Chas? Even Johns Island? In Cola, why didn't they go to Cayce or SE Cola (along Garners Ferry, 12th Street, or SC 48)? It's incredible that state leaders will just let them build anywhere in this state, without any foresight into the impacts of additional suburban development on the metro areas. Are we that desperate?

The Goose Creek site is just about the same in context to all the sites you listed.. it is just outside of Goose Creek city limits and the entire city of Goose Creek is in Charleston's UA. Cainhoy and Johns Island are both on the edge of the UA and West Ashley is to developed and expensive closer in for 500+ acres and further out is in the same boat at the edge of Charleston's UA.. They needed the space and went where it was available.. It would also be more of a risk on Johns Island/West Ashley because a hurrican would easily flood them out while the Goose Creek area has not came close to flooding in my lifetime (including Hugo times).

Well, it isn't a wetlands like you think. A more accurate description is a low lying area that holds water a little while after it rains, but it is classified as wetlands. Personally I think its dumb (by that definition, Five points and the Whaley South Main intersections are wetlands, and would never be developed today), but that's the way the rules are written, so that's the way you play.

Thats exactly what a wetland is. They aren't swamps, they are natural drainage systems.

In addition to the answers already given, I would add that the "center" of the metro area is and has been shifting north and west through North Charleston up to the Summerville-Goose Creek-Moncks Corner triangle. That is where the bulk of the available land is. With the amount of people moving into the state over the next few decades it is unrealistic to think the boundaries

It looks like Forbes already has a new "Best Places for Business and Careers" list out. On this list, Columbia ranks 35th (up from 91st last year and ahead of DC this year, surprisingly--I think the "cost of doing business" indicator did them in), Charleston 63rd (down from 56th last year), Greenville 134th (up from 141st last year), and Spartanburg 174th (up from 184th last year).

On the small metros list, Myrtle Beach ranks 84th (up from 109th last year; this year it placed 8th overall for job growth), Florence 131st (up from 142nd), Sumter 136th (up from 175th), and Anderson 137th (up from 146th).

The Municipal Association of South Carolina has just awarded the City of Columbia's Economic Development Department its 2007 Economic Development Acheivement Award for the City's collaboration with USC in the establishment and development of the Columbia-USC Business Incubator downtown. The City will receive the award at an upcoming Banquet to be held in Greenville. Today's "The State" has an article about NBSC donating money and office furniture to the incubator. NBSC says they intend to keep pace with the incubator. The article also says the City is constantly being contacted and visited by other cities who want to start incubators.

http://www.columbiasc.net/

http://www.thestate.com/101/story/23112.html

Edited by CorgiMatt

Its official- Spartanburg is getting a 2 million sq ft Adidas-Reebok distribution facility to be built soon that will ultimately employ 1200 people. This makes the second economic development in Spartanburg in less than 6 months that will employ over 1000. For those keeping tabs, thats 2700 jobs between this and EchoStar, not counting the other jobs that have been moving to the area. The unemlpoyment rate has already started to fall in the County. I expect that in the coming months it will start to plummet. The key selling point was the city's strategic location at I-85 and I-26.