Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

I came accross this in the Greenville News: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../708180301/1004

Apparantly the Donaldson Center is in danger of losing Lockheed as a tenant because of a small revenue shortfall from the state. The article most likely makes more of it that there is, and I'm sure that a deal will be worked out. But this bears watching, because Lockheed employees 1200 people in Greenville. Loosing them would be a major loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Two new upstate factories are adding 100 jobs to the economy. One will be in Spartanburg County, the other in Cherokee.

Spartanburg's factory is Innovative Fibers LLC and will hire between 40-50 people. A 25 million dollar investment.

Cherokee's factory will be at the new Spartanburg/Cherokee County joint business park. The company is Bericap Group and plans to hire 45 people initially and is looking to grow with 10 employees per year. Investing 20 million dollars.

good news. :thumbsup:

The Greenville News

I know this article about initiatives going on in Columbia has already been posted in the Columbia Forum, but it is of statewide significance.

http://www.swampfox.ws/a-success-story-under-the-radar/

And so is this article about Midlands Technical College's Enterprise Campus.

http://www.thecolumbiastar.net/news/2007/0...cation/020.html

This has got to be the most exciting economic development news I've EVER heard for my hometown, and if it happens, it will be one of the biggest things to happen in SC. This could potentially have an even bigger impact that BMW.

Jafza International, a subsidiary of Dubai World, a holding company wholly owned by the Dubai government, has put Orangeburg on its short list of potential sites in the Southeast for a $600 million to $700 million logistics, manufacturing and distribution center. If the plan comes to fruition, Jafza International could literally transform the largely rural community into a substantial trade-based economy through the creation of 8,000 to 10,000 jobs over the next decade, said individuals privy to the discussions.

Somebody catch me, because I think I'm about to faint. :) It's mind-boggling to think that something this huge could come to little ol' Orangeburg!

Officials say that an undisclosed number of sites in other parts of the Southeast are also still in the running, but that Orangeburg has everything they

^I'm sure more details will emerge in the near future. For right now, I'm just really excited about the possibilities. To have Orangeburg, Orangeburg, on the radar on an emerging global player like Dubai, which could arguably be presently called the global capital of construction, just goes over my head. You guys have no idea what's going through my mind right now, LOL.

That is way cool. :shades:

While we are on the subject of possible new economic developments coming into our state from places around the globe, there is an update to the recent news we discussed regarding Rolls-Royce and their interest in building a new facility. It sounds as though one of Greenville's large master-planned developments, The Matrix Business & Technology Park, could be on a very short list for this company and could bring as many as 1,000 jobs. Local government officials are not confirming this information but are not denying either.

More info from:

The Greenville News

WYFF4.com

GoUpstate.com

It sounds like a great deal - but what exactly would it be? Manufacturing/distribution facilities (for?) run by Jafza, or built and managed by them - would they be putting up facilities and then recruiting other companies into the project?

An article in The State revealed that it would be the latter. That makes it a bit more challenging, but I still have high hopes.

In other news, Innovative Fibers, LLC recently announced plans to locate a manufacturing facility in Spartanburg County. The company will invest approximately $15 million and expects to create 40 jobs at its new facility. Innovative Fibers, LLC is an extruder of polyester fiber that is used in bedding, home furnishing, and automotive manufacturing.

• 2 weeks later...

Southeast Frozen Foods, the largest exclusive distributor of frozen food products in the southeastern U.S., recently announced that it will expand its distribution center in Calhoun County. The company plans to invest approximately $3.5 million and create 30 new positions as a result of the expansion.

Calhoun County has been the target of significant investment as of late. Good to see the smaller counties not getting left out.