Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More great news for my home county.

An investment group, World Trade City Orangeburg LLC, which has ties to China and the United States, wants to construct an international trade center that could employ more than 1,000 people along I-26 near Bowman. The company said it plans to invest $100 million in the first phase of the project. The investment group eventually wants to buy a total of 5,000 acres. This would be near the planned logistics center planned by the Dubai investment group.

So this would be a center that would work to encourage companies to put work in China rather than create real jobs in SC. It doesn't seem to be that good a deal for the state if you ask me.

Actually, it would be encouraging companies in China and other places to have an American base in SC to better serve American consumers.

I see this as a smart move as China becomes more and more of an economic superpower in the world. SC already has one of the highest (if not THE highest) rates of international investment in the US.

In other news, the North American headquarters of Continental Tire has jumped the border from Charlotte into Lancaster County. When the move is completed next year, the company will have about 300 employees in its $11 million, 75,000-square-foot office.

The Upstate hosted the Bass Master Classic this past weekend. It's being reported that 74,000 people flocked to the upstate to enjoy the event and left behind $43 million.

Greenville County: $15 Million over the weekend

Anderson County: $70,000 in hotel stays alone for the event

It was a huge success and an incredible boost in tourism!

Fox Carolina's Story

It'll be interesting to see how much of an impact the bass tournament on Lake Murray later this year brings. It's a major tournament like the one Lake Hartwell just had.
Indeed, it will be a major tournament - finale of the Wal-Mart FLW Tour. The main difference is the fact the Bassmaster Classic is considered by everyone in the profession to be THE ultimate fishing tournament in the World. For those who aren't already aware, "Fantasy Fishing" is HUGE, with grand prize payouts topping $1 million plus a potential $5 million bonus prize. It is the highest paying fantasy sport in the world. I learned this just last week. Crazy! :wacko: