Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

:shades: General Electric has announced that will it move and expand it's small jet-engine parts manufacturing operation in Greenville creating 100 new jobs with a starting salary of $27 an hour. It's great to see them moving into a building that is already built and vacant instead of building a new one: http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/924319.html

This is definitely some good news! It'll be good for Southern Greenville County in general, too.

South Carolina's most populated areas have lost a total of 42,000 jobs over the past year, with the largest declines coming in touristy areas. Here's the breakdown.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news...12-months?rss=0

Correction: The place to find the numbers for all US metros is the US Department of Labor's website.

• 2 weeks later...

Home sales in SC's big three metros so far in 2009:

Charleston 4,670, down 19.7%

Columbia 4,917, down 20.9%

Greenville 4,178, down 24.2%

Price changes:

Charleston, down 13.7%

Columbia, down 2.8%

Greenville, down 8.5%

On the housing front we're still lucky compared to so many regions in the nation.

http://www.screaltors.com/mls/SC_MLS_Aug09.pdf

SC competing with PA,MA,MI for Wind Turbine Test Facility Grant

It's disturbing to see that we may not be pushing for this as strongly as we perhaps could.

In many ways this seems like a natural fit for SC. I know the Greenville & Charleston areas have been trying to work more closely together on certain things. This looks like a prime opportunity for that.

I certainly hope this effort won't suffer because Sanford is too busy trying to save his ass, and the legislature too busy trying to kick his ass out.

Is this going to be the NEXT big fish that gets away ??? :huh:

Wow, this sounds like a big deal. The article says, "the complex would be the first of its kind in the world and would put South Carolina on the international wind power map. Manufacturers would likely set up in and around the area in the same way companies cluster around automotive research institutions." It looks like the Charleston area would be the direct beneficiary of such a complex, as the research complex would be built at Clemson's Restoration Institute on the old Navy base. However, partners in the SC proposal are located all across the state and include the SC Energy Office, GE, Savannah River National Laboratory, Fluor Corp, and SCANA.

As someone noted in the comments section, what seems like it might hurt the state's chances of landing this are that the funds to build this complex are coming from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which both Graham and DeMint voted against.

To read the news yesterday one would just about conclude that Boeing is a done deal for Charleston. If that happens Charleston will have gotten it and gone. And if the turbine thing happens, along with the full-time cruise liner that just set up in Charleston, no city or metro in SC will ever catch up with the Holy City again. The agency I work for allows for transfers among Columbia, Charleston and Greenville freely. I might just have to sell my house and transfer to live where the true SC economic boom is going on. Like I've said, I don't care anything about building height anymore, only scale and density.

Edited by CorgiMatt

Yeah, I think Boeing is pretty much a done deal for Charleston, but the wind turbine complex is far from that. I'd love to see Charleston get it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to Michigan or maybe Massachusetts. But even with the best case scenario in place, I'm not sure how you can say that no other metro in SC could ever catch up. The other metros in the state aren't exactly standing still and will no doubt catch a few big fish along the way as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily. It totally depends on the location. If its in the panhandle area, then they have access to Ft. Mill and Rock Hill. If its in the area of the town of Lancaster, then maybe not. Union County in North Carolina is very rural, and unless you have millions to blow on a big house near the Meck. Co line, your housing choices (particularly as they relate to schools) will be very similar.

Interesting. Augusta (Aiken, Edgefield counties), Columbia, and Myrtle Beach are said to be in recovery; I wonder if any type of increase in tourism helped with Myrtle Beach, because their numbers don't look all that good to me. If the study is doing assessments on a quarterly basis, I wouldn't be surprised to see the other metros in the state in recovery mode in the next quarter.

I can definitely see Columbia and possibly Augusta in a recovery but Myrtle Beach? :huh:

It's good to see them getting hired back.

Interestingly enough, most of the workers look like they'll be new by going off this article: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...383/1004/NEWS01 Wonder what happened to the old ones? :unsure:

In other news, Scientific Research Corporation has announced that they'll be adding 300 jobs in Charleston over the next five years: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/oc...-300-jobs-2014/

Edited by citylife

South Carolina lost more manufacturing jobs over the past year than at any time since 1994, according to the 2010 South Carolina Manufacturers Register, an industrial directory published by Manufacturers' News Inc. The state lost 24,393 manufacturing jobs in 2008-09 after losing 5,989 the year before. The state has lost 113,557 manufacturing jobs since peaking in 1997, but the number of manufacturers has remained nearly the same - 5,170 in 1998 vs. 5,169 this year, according to Manufacturers' News.

TOP S.C. MANUFACTURING CITIES

1. Greenville - 25,509 manufacturing jobs (-0.2% change over past two years)

2. Spartanburg - 15,594 jobs (-12.4%)

3. Columbia - 9,728 (-14.3%)

4. Greer - 9,403 (-0.6%)

5. Anderson - 9,012 (6.1%)

6. Charleston - 7,904 (-9%)

I also did some number crunching and calculated manufacturing as a percentage of metropolitan GDP according to the 2008 figures from the Bureau of Economic Analysis website: