Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

Yeah, I expect some of those towns to become virtual ghost towns. It's sad, but hey, it's the survival of the fittest. I hope that proposed industrial or commerce park or whatever it was does something good for that area. I'm also hoping I-73 will generate some significant economic activity for the Pee Dee.

As a former textile powerhouse, Greenville has certainly avoided major disaster by successfully focusing on other industries and taking advantage of its location along the booming I-85 corridor.

The Greenville Hospital System is planning to add over 200 new jobs by next Spring. Read more.

Edited by Skyliner

The Greenville Hospital System is planning to add over 200 new jobs by next Spring. Read more.

Greenville Memorial has been the largest hospital in the state for quite some time, and it is really growing. FYI, the entire system is now called "Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center" (I am still getting used to the long name as well). With it being an academic medical center now (thanks to its recent partnering with Clemson, MUSC, and USC), we now have three good academic medical centers in South Carolina (GHSUMC, Palmetto/USC, and MUSC). Although we're not known as a healthcare powerhouse state like Massachusetts or Pennsylvania, we are definitely doing a good job given the size of our state and the resources available. We should all be proud of this. :thumbsup:

Here is an article about the job outlook in the Upstate. It seems overall we're remaining stronger than the recent national average and projections. According to the survey, Anderson County currently has one of the strongest job markets in the nation, with over 40% of employers expecting to add new jobs in the fourth quarter of 2006. Edited by Skyliner

Good point about McLeod. Spartanburg Regional is also a very well-thought of hospital.

Spartanburg Regional is one of the best hospitals in the state. Its one of 4 Level III trauma centers in SC. It is the only hostpital in SC to recieve the magnet designation for its top level nursing staff. It is also the only hospital system in SC (and one of only 6 in the nation) to provide services under the M. D. Anderson Cancer Manager program. The Gibbs Cancer Center at Regional is a well known and well respected oncology research and treatment center.

Things seem to be heating up in Greenville. :D

Palmetto Bank announced yesterday that it will be moving its headquarters from Laurens to Greenville, and constructing a new building on the same site as its current facility in downtown. Eventually, as many as 50 new jobs will be added to the new headquarters. Read more.

Southern Motor Company, a maker of high quality custom trucks, is planning to build its headquarters in Greenville. Once full production is in effect, they will have 200-300 highly skilled employees. Read more.

Johnsonville's Only major Industry cutting most of it's jobs

Johnsonville is a small town in the SE corner of Florence County. This plant was once the largest employer in the entire county, with 1,500 + employees as I recall. After this layoff, employment will drop to 190. Sad to see.

The Rural areas continue to fall behind and the cities move forward. As further example, Florence's Roche plant will make a $60mm addition to it's plant.

Johnsonville's Only major Industry cutting most of it's jobs

Johnsonville is a small town in the SE corner of Florence County. This plant was once the largest employer in the entire county, with 1,500 + employees as I recall. After this layoff, employment will drop to 190. Sad to see.

The Rural areas continue to fall behind and the cities move forward. As further example, Florence's Roche plant will make a $60mm addition to it's plant.

This is bad news for Florence County and Florence in general. While Florence is growing, the county as a whole is not prospering. The county has to step up and stimulate growth in the entire county if it wants to remain the leader in the Pee Dee Region.

The construction of I-73 will be a challenge for this county and all of it's residents. The potential boom to Conway and Myrtle Beach areas is on the rise and could replace Florence as the center of the region. I hope Florence wakes up and smells what's in the coffee.

The South Carolina State Ports Authority will get $8.7 million to boost waterfront security - part of $168 million granted to ports nationwide by the Department of Homeland Security. The money for South Carolina is less than half the $19.6 million the agency requested. However, the authority was one of only 51 of the 101 ports eligible to receive funds.

Source

Here's a good one. Lexington County is closing in on a $290 million year of major commercial investment that might provide the county nearly 2,600 jobs along with a swell of pride.Yet with three months left in 2006, nine companies have pledged $178.5 million to construct or renovate buildings or plants. That investment will bring 2,318 jobs, though not all of them are new to the county’s work force, which already enjoys an unemployment rate that hovers around 4.5 percent. South Carolina’s jobless rate was 6.5 percent last month. Some of the companies Lexington has recruited are the county’s Good Year also included hooking a second corporate headquarters, Allied Air Enterprises Inc. of Bellevue, Ohio. The air-conditioning and heating company is building a research and development facility near Columbia Metropolitan Airport. Since launching its economic development Web site April 11, the county has logged about 5,600 visits. “Somewhere over 1,000 people a month are looking at Lexington County. :shades:

Edited by 803metlife

It seems like when the county takes one step forward, something happens that forces it to take two steps backwards. I'm also hoping for the best with I-73 (although it could be argued that if nothing's happening with I-20 and I-95, what difference will I-73 make?).

Location, location, location. MB's money machine and open land will soon give it International status as a destination city.