Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

Wow. That's big. Big tax receipts off of $1B too. Of course, they will be tax breaks too, but still. I wonder if SW announcement finalized this?

It seems rather quick for that, but maybe so. They could've been waiting in the wings for it. Nonetheless: 1,200 jobs for the Upstate in two days... not bad! :shades:

It seems rather quick for that, but maybe so. They could've been waiting in the wings for it. Nonetheless: 1,200 jobs for the Upstate in two days... not bad! :shades:

Excellent news! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I think this paper company thing has been in the works for a good while....g-man posted about this possibility several months back.

Plus Southwest, Trader Joe's, etc. etc. Excellent week for Greenville! :thumbsup:

Great news! Those job numbers and the economic multiplier effect could make a nice dent in the upstate unemployment rate.

Anybody know when the Alexium facility will open? The story says they have already started the hiring process.

The Anderson County paper mill is expected to open next year.

It is really odd to see some of the negative comments on the linked stories. It is almost as if some people are upset that folks will be able to get off unemployment. A commenter on the Alexium story seems to think 95% of the employees will be forklift drivers and shipping clerks. I don't think they even read the story.

I do agree that every paper mill I remember had a horrible stench. My father's home town had a big paper mill practically in the middle of the town. Local people claimed you got used to the smell. I don't know how that would be possible. I felt sick the whole time I was near the factory when the wind was blowing the wrong way. Has there been any improvement in controlling the smell? Maybe it makes a difference what kind of paper is being created.

I do agree that every paper mill I remember had a horrible stench. My father's home town had a big paper mill practically in the middle of the town. Local people claimed you got used to the smell. I don't know how that would be possible. I felt sick the whole time I was near the factory when the wind was blowing the wrong way. Has there been any improvement in controlling the smell? Maybe it makes a difference what kind of paper is being created.

I don't know... Georgetown used to be awful! I feel as though it may have gotten better as of late...? Maybe the wind was just blowing in another direction, though?

Canada-based TD is taking over the largest South Carolina-based bank, shifting that designation to another bank.

A good thing in my opinion going off what this article says: http://www.gsabusine...tay-independent TD Bank with no presence in the Carolinas currently taking over TSFG is much better than the FDIC taking them over.

Edited by citylife

Granted the size is somewhat different, but with Wells Fargo taking over Wachovia the impact hasn't been as bad as everyone predicted here in Charlotte. There was a lot of shuffling around and a lot of executive type management jobs moved to SF, but otherwise it's been relatively stable.

I'm hoping that the same will be true with this First South merger and that Greenville/Spartanburg won't lose too many white collar jobs. This doesn't just impact Greenville either. Carolina First has been opening a lot of branches and offices around the state, and I'd hate to see the investment go for naught.

I doubt it would impact GDP too much unless they remove all jobs. Even still, the bank's holdings don't factor into it aside from determining market share (among many other things).

I look at Spartanburg for example. Since the relocation to Greenville, they have made a concerted effort to recruit business in Spartanburg. They opened up an office in one of our shiny new office buildings downtown, which in turn boosted downtown employment, etc. If the company is based out of Toronto, Spartanburg may be less important to them. Of course, not knowing about their operations, they may continue with Carolina First as a subsidiary and this is a non issue.

It looks like SCANA's future investment in Fairfield County will be taking the cake over the next few years at over $9 billion.

http://www.scana.com/en/investor-relations/news-releases/sceg-new-nuclear-plans-approved-by-psc.htm

Midlands Tech is already training future employees for the site with a just-announced $150,000 grant.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/34292-midlands-technical-college-awarded-150-000-for-nuclear-program?rss=0

• 1 month later...

Green transportation continues to cluster in Upstate. First Proterra and now CT&T. CT&T will make a formal announcement Thursday. :yahoo::yahoo:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/24083813/detail.html

Not even just transportation, but GE's wind turbine sector pushes this to an overall green technology cluster. WYFF also tossed in the fuel-efficient aerospace industry located here, too. Great news for the Upstate! :thumbsup:

So in addition to the manufacturing facility, CT&T is considering the Upstate for a planned North American headquarters and research and development center as well. That would be pretty awesome for Spartanburg and the Upstate. Hopefully Caterpillar will decide on Spartanburg County as well for their planned manufacturing facility.

So in addition to the manufacturing facility, CT&T is considering the Upstate for a planned North American headquarters and research and development center as well. That would be pretty awesome for Spartanburg and the Upstate. Hopefully Caterpillar will decide on Spartanburg County as well for their planned manufacturing facility.

I think they'd be foolish not to partner with Clemson and Proterra for any R&D facility.

This is some pretty interesting data here. It details the number of net jobs added/lost over past decade of the nation's 100 largest metros. Charleston ranked 19th, having added 16,8000 jobs from May 2000-2010 for a 7.87% gain. Columbia came in at 47th, having a net gain of 500 jobs (increase of 0.19%). Greenville ranked 66th with a net loss of 21,700 jobs (-7.99%). Of course, the past year and a half pretty much threw everyone's numbers off.

Houston ranked first nationwide with a net gain of 202,900 jobs (10.49%). Charlotte ranked 30th with a net gain of 9,100 jobs (1.34%) and Atlanta ranked 91st with a staggering net loss of 77,500 jobs (-3.85%). Ouch.

According to The Greenville News print edition ( :rolleyes: ), CT-T, which just announced a manufacturing facility in Duncan, is looking at Greenville County for a 50 worker research facility! They're supposedly looking at SCTAC for some reason, but I think ICAR makes the most sense given Clemson University's resources on site... I wonder if they're HQ would follow a research facility? :dontknow:

Either way, a greater international presence in Greenville is always welcome!

Edited by GvilleSC