Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

Indeed. The GOP isn't even investing much money in this race as Norman seems to be a non-player. They are saving all their money for other races.

As I predicted, the SC GOP has pulled its funding for Norman. You can read about it here. These adverts were probably a waste of money as he has lost all credibility for slamming Spratt for illegals, yet employing them himself to make money.

As I predicted, the SC GOP has pulled its funding for Norman. You can read about it here. These adverts were probably a waste of money as he has lost all credibility for slamming Spratt for illegals, yet employing them himself to make money.

Really? I haven't heard of Norman employing illegal immigrants to make money. I've read of sub contractors who were hired by his firm using illegal immigrants, but I haven't heard of Norman, or his company doing such. Where have you seen this?

8,000 Homes are plained on a 6,000 acre site in Chester County, halfway between Charlotte and Columbia. They will be built within the next 20 years and it should have a $2 billion dollar impact on the county.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/...ws/15746227.htm

The 2nd piece of good news for Chester County recently. That's a pretty large site, and Lord knows if Chester County doesn't have anything else, it has land.

The 2nd piece of good news for Chester County recently. That's a pretty large site, and Lord knows if Chester County doesn't have anything else, it has land.

It's definitely good news for the county, but I wonder if this dream will ever reach its potential or come close. Seems kind of 'out there' for such a large development. A retirement community would work, but where are residents of 8,000 homes going to find work in Chester County? Just become a distant piece of sprawl from Columbia or Charlotte?

I read that, and it is indeed scary. There is a correlation between this and our unemployment rate. We need to pull out all stops when it comes to economic development in this state.

It won't happen as long as the state continues to elect politicians that believe in supply side and trickle down economics. i.e. Make the rich richer and their spending will create jobs. It didn't work 25 years ago, and its now working now. The only question is when will SC voters put two and two together. It simply amazes me on how short people's memories are and because of it they are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Specifically on the ARMs I don't have a lot of sympathey for the people that put themselves in that position which is basically to finance their lifestyle by borrowing off the presumed equity in their homes, not realizing this is a house of cards that is easy to knock down in bad times. However, I do think the state should do a better job in requiring that banks and real estate lenders/brokers/agents, explain what these people are getting themselves into. All too often these loans are pushed onto people who otherwise would not qualify for a home and the details are often glossed over.

A bit of not-so-good economic news. Springs Global will lay off 465 workers at the Grace Complex in Lancaster County to move weaving operations to South America, the company announced Tuesday.

Lancaster County is really a county of economic contrasts--you have the booming panhandle which gets a good bit of economic overflow from Charlotte, then you have the poorer southern portion.

Apparently there is a huge new development planned for the Richburg area (Chester County), which is supposed to sit on 6000 acres with homes built for 10,000 people. It's supposed to have its own shopping, medical facilities, etc. All is being planned by Billy Graham's nephew, Melvin Graham.

Here's the article: http://www.onlinechester.com/articles/2006...lines/news1.txt

Since the article was written, apparently this new development, which will be called Montrose Plantation, has been approved by Chester County.

(I wasn't sure where on this site was the appropriate place to post this, but I hope I guessed correctly.)

My husband and I, who currently live in Washington State, will be coming home at Christmas time for a couple of weeks and intend to look into this area a little more closely. This trip is pretty important as I want to come home (to SC) and have to convince DH to come too. Needless to say, this development is just huge for Chester County, and I am more than thrilled.

This is indeed good news for Chester County. They desparately need investment, and they cant afford to wait until Charlotte or Columbia's sprawl consumes the area. Though I will say that I'd rather see this a little closer to Chester, Richburg will do :)

I agree. Closer to Chester would have been nice, but if it brings the jobs they're talking about, hopefully Chester will get some of the overflow. There are also other jobs coming to the Chester area (that have been in the paper), but this was the article that got my attention (because I'm home shopping naturally).

And you are so right--Chester desperately needs the investment!

How come Clemson got some of this new funding, but USC didn't. I thought USC was supposed to be the fuel cell speicalists.

http://www.doe.gov/news/4401.htm

Clemson is working with fuel cells too. They are more geared towards the practical implementation of them, but it doesn't mean that they can't/shouldn't recieve money for research!

• 2 weeks later...

The South Carolina Employment Security Commission reports in its October 2006 edition of "South Carolina Workforce Trends" that nonagricultural employment in the Columbia MSA increased from 352,200 in August of 2005 to 362,200 in August of 2006. Charleston's figures showed an increase from 282,300 in August 2005 to 290,600 in August 2006. Greenville's figures were 301,400 in August 2005 and 305,800 in August of 2006.

It looks as though the Columbia area may be moving beyond the stage of wiping the sleep out of its eyes following the post-national-recession period of a few years ago. The employment figures go very nicely with Columbia's being listed as #13 on a recent national list of the 20 cities with the most job openings per 100,000 residents. An article with that list in it has been featured a few times recently on msn.com's website. Also, the figures and the list represent what is going on now, not what was going on as of 2005, as is the case with most such articles and lists.

do you have a link? I wonder how Spartanburg and Anderson are doing.

I'll have to get back to you. I tried googling South Carolina Workforce Trends, but right now I get an error. The figures make me wonder, though, how Columbia will fare on national lists two years down the road, as most national lists seem to use two-year-old figures. No doubt Columbia was asleep for a while compared to how it's doing now.