Collapsed building on Merrimon Avenue

Lootles

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure, I don't think those building are much of a cash cow though and it will probably be extremely expensive to repair. Those building are not very well built. Remember the hole to the basement in the middle of the sidewalk, that took five years to repair?

According to articles in the C-T at the time, they were waiting on a settlement with their insurance. If insurance would cover repairs, they would repair the building; if not, then it would be demolished.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they end up demolishing, but I hope something gets built in its place. This was a neat little row of buildings.

According to articles in the C-T at the time, they were waiting on a settlement with their insurance. If insurance would cover repairs, they would repair the building; if not, then it would be demolished.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they end up demolishing, but I hope something gets built in its place. This was a neat little row of buildings.

In the 80's I was involved in a similar situation, though caused by fire, where just a bit more than 50% of the building was destroyed. City code, at that time, required that the building be brought up to current code if damage exceeded 50% of the square footage. The problem was that the insurance would only cover the part that sustained damage. In our case, it ended up that the whole building was demolished because we were not able to afford to both rebuild and renovate the non-damaged part as the city required. I suspect that this might be happening in this case, too.

• 1 month later...

In case you missed it, there was an article in today's C-T about the collapsed building on Merrimon. Looks like the owner will either demolish it, or repair it to use it for storage. The rebuild option makes it sound like the building will end up looking anything like it used to.

Regardless, I think we can just about write this one off as a loss, folks. I would be surprised if the other buildings lining Merrimon around Woolsey Dip (owned by the same guy) don't bite the dust as well.

I guess the reason is that I'm wondering just how structurally stable the surrounding buildings will be without this one between them. I also wonder whether demolishing one will be difficult without demolishing the others. Re-building between them might be tough, too.

The owner might also find it less costly to demolish the whole row than just the one (no precision work required) and then quite handsomely profitable to sell the entire block to a developer. Or, perhaps he could pocket the insurance money, and sell the row as-is for a tidy profit, to a developer who will level and build as one larger, more modern, easier to market building (translation: with parking in front or to the side.)

Then again, the owner might be attached to these quirky, if structurally questionable, buildings. Who's to say.

At least Joe King owns his building, so the old timey barber shop isn't going anywhere, at least not as long as he's around.

Could someone google earth the the "Woolsey Dip"? I'm not positive I know what stretch we're talking about. thanks.

It's the strip of buildings just opposite The Hop and Boston Pizza. Just north of the intersection with W.T. Weaver Blvd.

Archived