casa grande bypass

colin

Casa Grande weighs building toll road

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/052...llroad0524.html

I know that this has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding, but I'm always interested in talk of new highways. The idea makes sense: bring freeway access to the more rural areas of Metro Casa Grande, however a 6-lane toll road running through Tohono Chul land doesn't make sense, and seems like a very non-Arizona idea (maybe Texas, but not here).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Casa Grande weighs building toll road

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/052...llroad0524.html

I know that this has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding, but I'm always interested in talk of new highways. The idea makes sense: bring freeway access to the more rural areas of Metro Casa Grande, however a 6-lane toll road running through Tohono Chul land doesn't make sense, and seems like a very non-Arizona idea (maybe Texas, but not here).

I'll have to look up Casa Grande so I have an idea on what we're talking about here. I'm trying to get myself more familiar with the area. :D

I am just surprised that Arizona has yet to get "Tolled" like the rest of America suffers under. Now that I think about it that is correct, 'Zona has been very very lucky in their congressman and Senators (McCain and Goldwater??) in that they have yet to hear "go pay for your own interstate" from Washington. Interested on hearing how and why 'Zona got lucky in this area so far. I am sure there are many more projects that are desired then were built but that is true for almost every area of the country.

Casa Grande is destined to become a Phoenix bedroom community within the next 25 years. The development there thus far has been mostly retirees and retirement-oriented communities, but that development pace has been astounding, mostly with the typical Arizona "studs and crud" homes that wouldn't stand a 60 mph gust and that you can poke holes through the walls of. Pinal County (which includes a large portion of the East Valley) is notoriously friendly to developers, which is why this trend has remain unabaited.

Toll roads as major thoroughfares are pretty common in other countries (Mexico, China, some parts of Europe), so I've always thought that they were a good way to pay for the roads. I especially like what Texas has done, where they've built roads like the Sam Houston Tollway and Fort Bend Parkway in Houston and the upcoming Mopac Freeway extension in Austin, where the choice is pay for the freeway usage or take the service road and sit through the lights. Years ago, I read a Harris County Toll Road Authority official say that the Sam Houston Tollway would not be able to handle the traffic load if the service road riders came onto the freeway. It may be that it creates a sort of elitist driving clique, but it certainly pulls the burden off of government to solely finance ever-expanding roadways.

Although Barry Goldwater was actually the governor many years ago, his son Don is now one of several hopeless (that's not just liberalism talking, mind you, that's just being realistic) Republican candidates facing Napolitano this year. I only mention this to introduce another Jim Nintzel quote from the Tucson Weekly:

"The latest Rocky Mountain Poll shows that Don Goldwater is leading the Republican pack--but only 15 percent of Republicans say they'll be voting for him. We imagine that number would drop even lower if they were told he wasn't Barry."

Yeah I can't say I'm a huge fan of toll roads but I'd rather have that than nothing. My state is just about to start building it's first toll road, in my area of the state too. But there just isn't the money to build all the roads needed to keep up with the growth in this area.

I think I've heard of Casa Grande but didn't realize it was a city. I think I've read about the old ruins located there.

My state doesn't have any toll roads and refuses to build them. But I don't think they are all bad. Colin, is Napolitano really that popular that you don't think she faces any serious competition? I thought AZ (the PHX area in particular) was a fairly conservative state. Whats the deal.

Ironically, the ruins are actually in the town of Coolidge, a few miles northeast of the city of Casa Grande.

Coolidge was founded in 1927, so Casa Grande was probably named for the ruins because it was the closest town at the time.

Napolitano is the incumbent and thus far has no viable Republican threats, just a few who will appeal to a fringe niche. The Democrats I'm involved with are much more concentrated on the senate race and a local congressional race, and are kind of ignoring the governor one. That's just how I gauge it.

• 9 months later...

Archived