Downtown Orlando Height Limit Discussion

Tim3167

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we will never see these projects as well. The first 4 are the Benchmark Building which is the site of the proposed Dolive Building redevelopment. The Presidential is shown in Pic 3 & 4 in background which i think is D.E.A.D. in the water. 215 E. central Blvd (the last pic) is DOA as well. Regarding the old proposal that was going to go on the Jaymont block. That is a really nice looking building and looked like it would have topped out over SunTrust. I wonder if the HPB was the only thing to kill that plan. :ph34r:

post-1040-1153168684_thumb.jpg

post-1040-1153168698_thumb.jpg

post-1040-1153168713_thumb.jpg

post-1040-1153168727_thumb.jpg

post-1040-1153168743_thumb.jpg

post-1040-1153168684_thumb.jpg

post-1040-1153168698_thumb.jpg

post-1040-1153168713_thumb.jpg

post-1040-1153168727_thumb.jpg

post-1040-1153168743_thumb.jpg

In Orlando there really is no problem with building that high, at least from an engineering standpoint. Financialy it might burden a couple of pockets but that's about it. JRS1 is correct, aside from a few mixture modifications it's really no big deal. Keep in mind the depths that piles are drilled to are determined by the location of the same types of material you mentioned. Nodarse or Universal engineering tests the hell out of the soil prior to construction. For the most part, with the exceptions of few regions, most of Florida is the same soil type so no region in the state has too measurable of an advantage over another.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've been reading this site (just a couple of weeks now) and paying close attention to the development of all the highrises, both existing, under construction and proposed I've noticed that none of them exceed about 450 +-. Is there in fact a height restriction? If so what is the height limit and why do we have it? I noticed that even in Jax there is a proposal to build a 70 storey building that would certainly dwarf any of our tallest either built or on drawing board. I remember a few years ago there was a proposal to build a tower that would be Orlando's tallest but they had to get permission from the FAA. I don't know exactly where it was proposed but or how tall it was planned but, as I recall they didn't get permission due to the proximity to the Executive Airport. Is this the reason for the limit and if so does it apply to all of the CBD? Is there a chance it will be challenged and ultimately relaxed or deleted?

By the way this is an awesome site. Wished I knew about it a long time ago!

Welcome to the Orlando forum, OtownTiger.

Since I've been reading this site (just a couple of weeks now) and paying close attention to the development of all the highrises, both existing, under construction and proposed I've noticed that none of them exceed about 450 +-. Is there in fact a height restriction? If so what is the height limit and why do we have it? I noticed that even in Jax there is a proposal to build a 70 storey building that would certainly dwarf any of our tallest either built or on drawing board. I remember a few years ago there was a proposal to build a tower that would be Orlando's tallest but they had to get permission from the FAA. I don't know exactly where it was proposed but or how tall it was planned but, as I recall they didn't get permission due to the proximity to the Executive Airport. Is this the reason for the limit and if so does it apply to all of the CBD? Is there a chance it will be challenged and ultimately relaxed or deleted?

By the way this is an awesome site. Wished I knew about it a long time ago!

I don't believe height is everything. I think Orlando will be really dense with all these building being built. which dense cities in my oppinion look better then cities with scattered really far apart tall buildings. It'd be nice to see a tall building mixed in with the density though.

Orlando's downtown is really just growing like any other city. You build out before you build up and soon the need to build taller buildings will increase.

Well, you have to clarify that its growing like any other non supply constrained city. (Read: Not landlocked). San Francisco, Seattle, Miami and New York built up because there really was no other place to go, but the demand for space continued to increase. One thing that really make no sense to me is the amount of private homes converted for office use immediately west of Thornton Park. If those office users in homes rolled out of their space and into office space in existing towers that would be a huge opportunity to increase office demand and gut those home for higher density construction.

One thing that really make no sense to me is the amount of private homes converted for office use immediately west of Thornton Park. If those office users in homes rolled out of their space and into office space in existing towers that would be a huge opportunity to increase office demand and gut those home for higher density construction.

I think most of the homes west of Thornton have some kind of historic preservation protecting them. That doesn't bother me in the least, because the down/mid/up town area has plenty of junk, underutilized property. There is absolutely no need to start gutting homes west of Thornton. Now I wouldn't mind some zoning that would force those house back to being residences and moving those businesses into the CBD. But lets make use of the tons of land in downtown that is just wasting away before we start knocking down houses.

One thing that really make no sense to me is the amount of private homes converted for office use immediately west of Thornton Park. If those office users in homes rolled out of their space and into office space in existing towers that would be a huge opportunity to increase office demand and gut those home for higher density construction.

Space in towers is very expensive, for the most part. I work for a small (20 people) company in Tampa and I know that I would love to be in a tower DT, but the cost is prohibative. The same goes for Orlando. I know that the cost is almost twice as much as one can rent regular space in smaller developments. Now, that could change when more towers are built and there is less demand, but it is costly to build skyscrapers. As you said, when one can build out because there is still space there will be less demand in the DT area than there could be.

Steve

• 1 year later...
big deal? can you imagine if they allowed some 600-700 footers in a little sliver of the orlando cbd (maybe to the north end). not saying that even if approved, anything would be built there at 600-700 feet in downtown...... market doesnt dictate it..... but it would open the possibility in the future 5, 10, 15 years down the road when it may be economically viable to do so. the same can be said in the attraction area. we all know there is no point to a height limit there.... can you imagine if a hotel/condo wanted to top 1000 feet on i-drive 15-20 years from now? maybe even a space needle tourist attraction...... not saying that anybody would do this in the near future..... but it opens the possibility. heck, its pathetic when a ferris wheel has to scale back plans because of a height limit.

Archived